Author Topic: Berlin 2 cancelled  (Read 4179 times)

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
Re: Berlin 2 cancelled
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2018, 06:01:54 AM »
Although Edge, Adam and Larry could have done a quick U2 hits medley. Would have been awesome actually to participate in that.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2018, 07:31:17 AM »
What?

They were just going to pull that together at the drop of a hat? And they were concerned about Bono, not wanting to provide muzak to an audience that would be leaving in droves. And the show was over, no way around that.

You know, they could have pulled off a mime-and-clown routine at least.

Offline Tortuga

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2018, 11:30:46 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Although Edge, Adam and Larry could have done a quick U2 hits medley. Would have been awesome actually to participate in that.

I was thinking the same thing.  It would have been cool if they had played some instrumental versions.  Not a full show but maybe a half hour.  Edge could have sung two or three songs.  And yes, they have been playing together long enough that they could have roughed up a 30 min piece during the 15 minute break.  Iím not being critical, just saying it would have been cool.  I like hearing instrumental covers of U2 songs.  When you remove the vocals it opens up space for the instrumental parts to stand out.  Larry Edge & Adam should release an instrumental album of more experimental stuff with a few instrumental versions of U2 classics thrown in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2018, 12:14:17 PM »
And they were concerned about Bono, not wanting to provide muzak to an audience that would be leaving in droves.

Absolutely true.

Offline MrsZoo

• Wanderer
  • Midnight is where the day begins
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2018, 02:15:03 PM »
Just saw a short clip of U2 rehearsing today in Cologne on instagram, with Bono singing The Unforgettable Fire and he sounded AMAZING!!! Would love to see this song in the setlist.

Offline PROJ2823

• Refugee
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2018, 03:04:20 PM »
Indeed, he probably did not sound this good since popmart!
He looked very at ease on stage, so he must be confident about his renewed voice.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2018, 04:20:59 PM »
Just saw a short clip of U2 rehearsing today in Cologne on instagram, with Bono singing The Unforgettable Fire and he sounded AMAZING!!! Would love to see this song in the setlist.

Link?

He has been sounding great. That must feel amazing to him.

Offline MrsZoo

• Wanderer
  • Midnight is where the day begins
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2018, 05:13:03 PM »
Here you go:

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2018, 12:57:11 AM »
TUF is a really nice song, and I have it all day in my head. But I don't think it does justice live. It never has

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2018, 11:19:02 AM »
Well, TUF is certainly a test for anyone's vocal range!  A great warm-up song in the soundcheck. 

They did play TUF on the European leg of 360 in 2009....it sounded great live, and back then Bono could still hit the higher notes.

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2018, 11:28:40 AM »
I remember the 360 version (with the screen lowered, like a tornado, right?), Bono's vocals were fine if I recall correctly, but the atmosphere of the song they couldn't nail. But that was back in the day also hard for them

Offline Tortuga

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2018, 07:52:33 PM »
The 360 version was good.  TUF was a studio creation for sure but I thought the 360 version was worth having.

Offline 64ac30

• Refugee
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2018, 10:23:46 PM »
Sounds like he was singling lower and not trying to hit notes? A 6 year difference is pretty huge for him. I was slightly disappointed he didnít sing the opera on Sarajevo last year. Not to bash his voice, I think itís still incredible

Offline Tortuga

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2018, 06:23:02 AM »
Sounds like he was singling lower and not trying to hit notes? A 6 year difference is pretty huge for him. I was slightly disappointed he didnít sing the opera on Sarajevo last year. Not to bash his voice, I think itís still incredible

Maybe.  Or maybe he just wasnít pushing too hard at this point.  But yes its true everyoneís vocal range lowers with age.  Its great for tenors who always really wanted to sing bass.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2018, 09:08:11 AM »
I didn't hear he Miss Sarajevo performance but I don't remember high notes in that song.

Red Flag Day is in the same range as Streets. But of course Pride is higher. He sings RFD like a boss (Berlin 2 obviously excepted).

But his speaking voice got crazy low (his natural speaking voice - his stage speaking voice is pitched higher than his natural voice). I think his speaking voice changed more than his singing voice in terms of natural range. The biggest change in his singing voice is the power I guess - belting it out is rare, no screams (like the start of Streets during Elevation, or New Year's Day), and all the vocal extras like moans, groans, yelps, unrequired ohs, etc.

I wish we could get those "extras" and still have his current smooth voice. In some ways he's better than ever. In other ways we've lost some real gems.