Author Topic: Is U2 phoning it in?  (Read 4010 times)

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: Is U2 phoning it in?
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2018, 09:21:36 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Looking forward to hearing responses from people who donít belong to U2ís PR team.
Just because people donít agree with you doesnít mean theyíre on U2ís PR team. This is a discussion site. Opinions will differ.

This show has a strong narrative arc and the songs are chosen to fit that. I believe that limits changes to the set list.

If you prefer to believe something else thatís up to you of course. But if you donít want to hear any views that donít accord with your pre-existing conclusions youíve come to the wrong place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline seano0513

• Babyface
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2018, 10:02:04 AM »
What youíre saying about the set I completely buy and is a reasonable explanation. Youíre taking my quote out of context as the initial reactions to my post werenít based in any rationale thinking whatsoever and were filled with inaccurate statement. Thank you.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2018, 12:54:04 PM »
U2 donít just play a concert, they put on a show. They have choreography, positions they need to hit, and beats they need to maintain to keep the flow of the show. Their shows arenít fluid because they put a lot of the weight of the show on the the screen, the giant flag, the multiple stages, etc. If U2 were just doing stripped down concerts rather than putting on full shows, we wouldnít have had so many of the jaw dropping screens and stages weíve had. Iíd much rather have a highly structured show with the effect of the overall show than more flexibility of set list in a stripped down setting.

Offline hotty375

• Babyface
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2018, 01:19:02 PM »
Looking forward to hearing responses from people who donít belong to U2ís PR team.
Just because people donít agree with you doesnít mean theyíre on U2ís PR team. This is a discussion site. Opinions will differ.

This show has a strong narrative arc and the songs are chosen to fit that. I believe that limits changes to the set list.

If you prefer to believe something else thatís up to you of course. But if you donít want to hear any views that donít accord with your pre-existing conclusions youíve come to the wrong place.

Come on now, Sean. Surely you must believe that this show is joyful and entertaining?  And it's promoting a great U2 album that is keeping them relevant with fans of all ages? And the setlist is so great & the show so different from the last tour in so many ways that they are perfectly justified in charging $300 for a crap seat? And it's a welcome respite from all the political turmoil in the world and the rise of the far-right & that the POTUS is the least statesmanlike, fascist, racist president the US has ever had,  to hear Bono remind us again of where he grew up, his mother, his MRI scan & the need for education for the disadvantaged female of the species? I'm sure I read on here that Bono blesses us in this show  ???-- the good people of Cologne should feel blessed getting this wonderful setlist two nights in a row. I'm only sorry they don't finish it with a B-stage version of 'You're the Best thing About Me' with Larry on bongos, Adam on the triangle, The Edge playing a lute, and Bono on the kazoo! ;)

Online laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2018, 01:47:30 PM »
I like hearing about where they come from. I like hearing about Bono's mother. I like getting Bono's positive energy. If you don't, that's cool, there's always Justin Beiber.

Offline Tortuga

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2018, 02:02:11 PM »
U2 donít just play a concert, they put on a show. They have choreography, positions they need to hit, and beats they need to maintain to keep the flow of the show. Their shows arenít fluid because they put a lot of the weight of the show on the the screen, the giant flag, the multiple stages, etc. If U2 were just doing stripped down concerts rather than putting on full shows, we wouldnít have had so many of the jaw dropping screens and stages weíve had. Iíd much rather have a highly structured show with the effect of the overall show than more flexibility of set list in a stripped down setting.

So I donít really buy the ďits a structured concept showĒ as a reason for a static playlist.  They have had highly programmed shows all the way back to zooTV, which was a huge concept thing.  All the AV and lights are MIDI seqeunced with the music.  You just change the setlist in the computer and everything flows.  Bands do this all the time.

If you are arguing that all the songs are so tightly tied to the concept that it would ruin the show I donít really buy that either.  No one in the audience is thinking about how Pride ties in to the concept versus SBS.  There is a bit of silly seriousness in some of this rationale.

I think, for anyone whoís been following U2 for a long time, its clear something has changed this tour.  Iím not sure what it is but the all the longtime fans I went with noticed it.  Is it as simple as the exclusion of Streets?  Is it not bringing people up on stage?  Honestly, I think its just that Bonoís energy is down.  That may also be why they want to keep the set list more static.  It doesnít necessarily mean they are fading away.  Any time in life you can have periods of physical and emotional downtime.  I just  enjoy whatever they have to offer and donít worry about it.  If its bothering you a whole lot you might need to find a hobby or something.  ;)

Offline Tortuga

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2018, 02:04:11 PM »
I like hearing about where they come from. I like hearing about Bono's mother. I like getting Bono's positive energy. If you don't, that's cool, there's always Justin Beiber.

Please surely, those are not our only two choices.  And be fair, Bono has been hammering the SAME topics for a very long time.  It is understandable for a fan to be bored with it.

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2018, 03:17:46 PM »

Come on now, Sean. Surely you must believe that this show is joyful and entertaining?  And it's promoting a great U2 album that is keeping them relevant with fans of all ages? And the setlist is so great & the show so different from the last tour in so many ways that they are perfectly justified in charging $300 for a crap seat? And it's a welcome respite from all the political turmoil in the world and the rise of the far-right & that the POTUS is the least statesmanlike, fascist, racist president the US has ever had,  to hear Bono remind us again of where he grew up, his mother, his MRI scan & the need for education for the disadvantaged female of the species? I'm sure I read on here that Bono blesses us in this show  ???-- the good people of Cologne should feel blessed getting this wonderful setlist two nights in a row. I'm only sorry they don't finish it with a B-stage version of 'You're the Best thing About Me' with Larry on bongos, Adam on the triangle, The Edge playing a lute, and Bono on the kazoo! ;)
Gee, hotty375, your post is an excellent example of how this is an open discussion site. People can post any damn thing they like. Those who read the posts will form their own opinions as to how valid the content is and how justified the tone might be. At the very least, Iím sure you are keeping yourself entertained.

Offline seano0513

• Babyface
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2018, 03:46:00 PM »

Ian Ryan, so E + I is completely structured where they canít change a song from one night to the next while  I + E featured 5 different songs the next night? Why is the former preferred or even acceptable if theyíre capable of doing the latter? Or are they not capable or willing any longer? Thatís the whole point of my Post.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2018, 04:38:09 PM »
Phoning it in. Embarrassing. We will see the 4 Paris shows have 1 song change between them. The same fan can be expected to attend multiple shows in the same city.
I wonder if someone (Larry the grump?) Put his foot down and insisted on same set list. Of course it woudnt be show designer Willie W insisting.

Offline 64ac30

• Stateless
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2018, 07:13:31 PM »
As fun as IE was, the ďspontaneousĒ performances felt kinda half assed. Like the songs werenít played properly as they should have been. Volcano sounded stripped down with the smaller drum set and desire was done acoustic, etc

Offline 64ac30

• Stateless
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2018, 07:15:57 PM »
U2 wonít play Landlady or Book of Your Heart. And thereís a 0% chance of hearing the showman BECAUSE ACROBAT (the songs fans begged for) is in the set. Showman was supposed to be where Acrobat is...

Offline seano0513

• Babyface
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2018, 07:37:57 PM »
U2 wonít play Landlady or Book of Your Heart. And thereís a 0% chance of hearing the showman BECAUSE ACROBAT (the songs fans begged for) is in the set. Showman was supposed to be where Acrobat is...

Exactly the point and very interesting you mention this. Of course the e stage is the perfect moment for The Showman and it would be great (and fun). Question is why canít they play this in addition to the other songs during this segment? Didnít they promise ďlonger showsĒ for this tour? I + E would have 25-26 songs per show; theyíre now down to 23 which they did with Vertigo. E + I has cut down the set by a few songs already since Tulsa...why canít they add back in a song like Showman or anything else? The more you look analyze it compared to their previous indoor efforts, particularly I + E which is the same production, the more you have to question...are they phoning it in, mailing it in? Theyíre not Meerkating it in, but that was fín cool when you wouldnít even know what theyíd play when they streamed to the world. Two Hearts being played one of those times. This is a lame effort period. U2 PR people...hit me with your best shot.

Offline A_Fly_On_The_Wall

• Deep In the Heart
  • Doing My Best Work In Your Disbelief Of Existence
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2018, 03:27:46 AM »
In all honesty, Iím quite happy with the set list as it is even if it is predictable show after show.

I saw them once on the I+E Tour and can already tell the E+I show Iíll be attending later this year will have a different vibe to it from the previous show which Iím happy with.

I agree, it would be nice for them to throw in a few curveball songs every now and then (especially songs like The Fly, Love And Peace Or Else and Please) but Iím not sure Songs like this would fit the theme of the show theyíre trying to put on this time around.

Iím pretty sure we wonít have seen the last of these songs live though as itís just that they are just not in keeping with the type of show U2 are trying to create with this E+I Tour.

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2018, 09:16:15 AM »
I've been watching some of the shows via Periscope and it looks fantastic. Much better than their TJT30 tour from what I could tell. The setlist is good and their performance levels seem really up.

I'd love to go to the tour but can't afford the extortionate ticket prices, sadly. I'm going to see Arctic Monkeys agt the O2 tonight instead. Love them. At least I can watch U2 on Periscope and clips on YT. :)