Author Topic: Is U2 phoning it in?  (Read 2652 times)

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
Re: Is U2 phoning it in?
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2018, 07:50:59 PM »
This show is more a theatrical set piece and is not meant to be seen multiple times.  Save your money for another concert rather than going twice.  Simple Minds is making the rounds.

Offline Tortuga

• Refugee
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2018, 08:54:16 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This show is more a theatrical set piece and is not meant to be seen multiple times.  Save your money for another concert rather than going twice.  Simple Minds is making the rounds.

I agree its not meant to be seen multiple times but I find it less theatrical than their shows in the 90s.  I donít think the two things are related.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2018, 09:03:27 PM »
I think "conceptual" might be more accurate than "theatrical."

Offline 64ac30

• Stateless
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2018, 09:15:07 PM »
No itís pretty theatrical. When was the last tour you saw Bono walking down a street in the middle of a concert?

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2018, 05:50:49 AM »
No itís pretty theatrical. When was the last tour you saw Bono walking down a street in the middle of a concert?

3 years ago....other than that, never.

Offline Tortuga

• Refugee
Is U2 phoning it in?
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2018, 06:19:44 AM »

Conceptual. Theatrical.  Whatever you call it I donít see how it precludes swapping in and out different non-SOI/SOE songs.  How does it impact the concept if you trade Ultraviolet for Pride or So Cruel for Acrobat?

I think its a better answer just to say the  band is not worried about pleasing people who want to see the show multiple times.  Which I think is fine.  But I donít think it has anything to do with it being a high-concept show.  I realize Iím changing my tune a bit but the more I think about it, its really not a valid explanation.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 06:21:41 AM by Tortuga »

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2018, 07:26:06 AM »
I think it's both true. It's meant to be seen once. They could swap some songs but Ultraviolet doesn't replace Pride in the concept. Maybe something else would. They should play Acrobat every show for this tour because it's the white whale. But yeah, they could change up some songs. If nothing else, they could have three or even four songs in that single rotating slot - they have a lot of songs with the concept they are saying for Gloria and ABOY (one example: Breathe). (Imho Red Flag Day shouldn't even be in that slot at all and should have a permanent slot elsewhere).

I think they had every intention of a longer show but they just couldn't. Probably Larry is their limiting factor. Would rather Larry be healthy and happy than to squeeze out three more songs then never see the lads again. Or maybe it's Bono, same conclusion though.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2018, 09:23:23 AM »
Multiple shows in a single market used to mean setlist changes to the tune of 4-6 different songs per night. A perfect and recent example were the 8 I + E shows at MSG. Each one had multiple changes to 3 main parts of the set (North Side of Dublin, e stage, and encore).

E + I from the beginning has been static city. While there were welcomed and needed changes to start the European Leg, we saw again last night in Cologne that theyíre not mixing it up when playing a venue multiple nights. Whatís the point of going to more than 1 show in your town if theyíre not gonna make things more dynamic and interesting?

Why canít North Side of Dublin feature Out of Control or 11 OíClock, e stage feature the Fly or Gone and the encore have All I Want is You or anything else in addition / instead of the 3 songs they play EVERY SINGLE NIGHT?

Iím asking this question and Iím curious to hear what everybody thinks.

Its great when they mix it up, but I'd still go see the greatest live band in the world multiple times on a tour even if it was the exact same show every time.

You know who is PHONING IT IN though? THE FANS! Nearly 50% of them sitting on their asses while the band run around putting on the best damn show they can for two hours!

Offline Tortuga

• Refugee
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2018, 09:30:32 AM »
Multiple shows in a single market used to mean setlist changes to the tune of 4-6 different songs per night. A perfect and recent example were the 8 I + E shows at MSG. Each one had multiple changes to 3 main parts of the set (North Side of Dublin, e stage, and encore).

E + I from the beginning has been static city. While there were welcomed and needed changes to start the European Leg, we saw again last night in Cologne that theyíre not mixing it up when playing a venue multiple nights. Whatís the point of going to more than 1 show in your town if theyíre not gonna make things more dynamic and interesting?

Why canít North Side of Dublin feature Out of Control or 11 OíClock, e stage feature the Fly or Gone and the encore have All I Want is You or anything else in addition / instead of the 3 songs they play EVERY SINGLE NIGHT?

Its great when they mix it up, but I'd still go see the greatest live band in the world multiple times on a tour even if it was the exact same show every time.

You know who is PHONING IT IN though? THE FANS! Nearly 50% of them sitting on their asses while the band run around putting on the best damn show they can for two hours!

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2018, 04:49:57 PM »

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Yep, its alright with you if someone slams the band for "phoning it in". But criticize those lazy ass fans sitting down, though, is a no no. You're their first line of defense.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2018, 05:11:50 PM »
Dude.

Offline mrsamrocks2

• Numb
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2018, 07:05:22 PM »
I don't get this argument as if it's a new thing for U2 not to change their setlists very much. On ZooTV and Popmart, the setlist basically never changed and people didn't complain about that. On the last few tours, the setlists have been changing quite a lot. On this tour, not so much, but saying it's a new thing is simply not true.

Offline Tortuga

• Refugee
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2018, 07:18:31 PM »
I don't get this argument as if it's a new thing for U2 not to change their setlists very much. On ZooTV and Popmart, the setlist basically never changed and people didn't complain about that. On the last few tours, the setlists have been changing quite a lot. On this tour, not so much, but saying it's a new thing is simply not true.

Well, that weighs in for the ďconceptĒ argument.  Iíve never gone to multiple shows so I wouldnít know what they did back then.  Someone else was saying they did switch it up.

Offline 64ac30

• Stateless
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2018, 08:10:06 PM »

Do you keep up? He still is... and he has a little costume now too

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2018, 08:52:56 PM »

Do you keep up? He still is... and he has a little costume now too
what costume does he wear for Cedarwood Road?

And what song does Bono circle around the little house that only 5% of the audien can see?

What song does he clutch the big hanging light bulb?