Author Topic: Is U2 phoning it in?  (Read 4009 times)

Offline hotty375

• Babyface
Re: Is U2 phoning it in?
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2018, 05:14:07 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
No itís pretty theatrical. When was the last tour you saw Bono walking down a street in the middle of a concert?

3 years ago....other than that, never.

:). Absolutely right- which reinforces my original point post- Washington show that this tour is a big deja vu with inferior set list substitutions and a shorter set, for bigger or at least equal ticket prices. I could understand it if the I&E tour flipped into E&I like ZooTV became Zooropa- Outside Broadcast but it didnít. It was supposed to but then according to U2 , ĎTrump happened, the world changed,etc, Ď so E&I never happened then they did the JT tour instead, which was a success despite the lazy set list which could have and should have been a whole lot better. But then E&I comes out as a Ďcollection of tunesí with a poppier feel and itís full of borrowed melodies and recycled songs, with multiple producers- the bottom line is itís just not a good album and that has been reflected in the sales, although I get that the most frequent posters on here like it- thatís fine but the level of defensiveness against people who think itís a crock of the brown stuff is ridiculous and unwarranted and closes down any sensible discussion. If you donít have the same opinion as those posters, woe betide you  :D And E&I says nothing about ĎTrump happened, the world changed, blah blahí - if it did, that might have kept them relevant instead of chasing the Justin Bieber audience

Offline hotty375

• Babyface
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2018, 05:23:54 AM »
I like hearing about where they come from. I like hearing about Bono's mother. I like getting Bono's positive energy. If you don't, that's cool, there's always Justin Beiber.

Well, maybe we all did- on the last tour, promoting the album on which those songs appeared. I dont see that much positive energy at all in these shows- the first set is turgid, the second a lazy run through of mostly later U2 crowd pleasers, and the encore is a snore fest.

Justin Bieber is beyond my intellect, sorry. Check out the new Spiritualized album though - itís great!

Offline hotty375

• Babyface
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2018, 05:27:11 AM »
This show is more a theatrical set piece and is not meant to be seen multiple times.  Save your money for another concert rather than going twice.  Simple Minds is making the rounds.

Agreed- and their new music is really good and does actually hold up well with their back catalogue. They are playing small theatres too - Beacon in NYC for example.

Offline hotty375

• Babyface
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2018, 05:54:00 AM »
Looking forward to hearing responses from people who donít belong to U2ís PR team.
Just because people donít agree with you doesnít mean theyíre on U2ís PR team. This is a discussion site. Opinions will differ.

This show has a strong narrative arc and the songs are chosen to fit that. I believe that limits changes to the set list.

If you prefer to believe something else thatís up to you of course. But if you donít want to hear any views that donít accord with your pre-existing conclusions youíve come to the wrong place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Come on now, Sean. Surely you must believe that this show is joyful and entertaining?  And it's promoting a great U2 album that is keeping them relevant with fans of all ages? And the setlist is so great & the show so different from the last tour in so many ways that they are perfectly justified in charging $300 for a crap seat? And it's a welcome respite from all the political turmoil in the world and the rise of the far-right & that the POTUS is the least statesmanlike, fascist, racist president the US has ever had,  to hear Bono remind us again of where he grew up, his mother, his MRI scan & the need for education for the disadvantaged female of the species? I'm sure I read on here that Bono blesses us in this show  ???-- the good people of Cologne should feel blessed getting this wonderful setlist two nights in a row. I'm only sorry they don't finish it with a B-stage version of 'You're the Best thing About Me' with Larry on bongos, Adam on the triangle, The Edge playing a lute, and Bono on the kazoo! ;)
Gee, hotty375, your post is an excellent example of how this is an open discussion site. People can post any damn thing they like. Those who read the posts will form their own opinions as to how valid the content is and how justified the tone might be. At the very least, Iím sure you are keeping yourself entertained.

I agree with your first sentence although I will qualify it by saying people should be able to do that without getting people who donít agree with what they have posted jumping down their throats. And I am pleasantly surprised that my sarcastic post has sparked a bit of open discussion.

The reason I quoted your post in particular in my reply to Sean was this:

If you prefer to believe something else thatís up to you of course. But if you donít want to hear any views that donít accord with your pre-existing conclusions youíve come to the wrong place

The converse of this is that anyone who posts anything other than the Ďpre-existing conclusionsí of the most frequent posters like yourself gets called out. What could be seen as insightful is instead seen as inciteful.

And you are one of the worst offenders. You and 64ac30 bleated about what you saw as inciteful and disagreeable posts , Tortuga asked what ones as he or she didnít see anything, and got no replies.

Anything that you donít agree with and then get challenged on , just becomes ignored and there is no open discussion.

Maybe the rules of this forum should be changed to Ď If you donít think the sun shines out of U2s ass and post accordingly, then you have come to the wrong placeí. And donít forget the forum was shut down essentially because the vast majority of posters didnít like ĎYTBTAMí, and said so in descriptive ways. So much for open discussion and differing opinions.

Online laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2018, 07:48:08 AM »
I think we all want differing opinions. But if I do think the sun shines out of U2's ass, am I not allowed to post that?

Offline dougie

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • A Bozo on the bus going nowhere!
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2018, 09:02:50 AM »
Iíve gone to many shows on every tour since 2001. A few song changes give a different feel every night for me. I saw them 6 times this year. The 4th show got real boring. But, then something else started to bug me.

The first show Bono was still lip singing the first song (Love is all we have left). Yes, I Ďthinkí he was singing. This tour is so rigid, almost everything sounds exactly the same- this is not how it was when they had the same sets during other tours. Almost everything seems to go through modulation and computer manipulation. I feel on many songs Bono can whisper and come across like An opera singer.

They have always had backing tracks and assistance from under the stage. But, this tour they have seem to take technology to another level. I felt like I lost the a big part of U2 I use to love. Donít get me wrong, when they come to the S.F. Bay Area, Iíll go see them.

It seems U2 can enjoy the show more because of the assistance they have- maybe not Larry because he still has a physically difficult job (maybe for Bono given his physical issues too). In many ways I feel they are phoning it in. Weíll see if spontaneity comes back or more dependence on technology wins for the next tour.

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2018, 03:52:57 PM »
people should be able to do that without getting people who donít agree with what they have posted jumping down their throats.

Excellent advice. You should take it.

And I am pleasantly surprised that my sarcastic post has sparked a bit of open discussion.

You actually believe that? Even though I was one of only two people who responded to your post in any way? My, what a world you have created for yourself.

You and 64ac30 bleated about what you saw as inciteful and disagreeable posts , Tortuga asked what ones as he or she didnít see anything, and got no replies.

You don't know what you're talking about.

And donít forget the forum was shut down essentially because the vast majority of posters didnít like ĎYTBTAMí, and said so in descriptive ways. So much for open discussion and differing opinions.

How fortunate we are not dependent on your recollection of events.

Anything that you donít agree with and then get challenged on , just becomes ignored and there is no open discussion.

Actually, I'm one of the few people who isn't ignoring you. Which is quite foolish of me. I'm changing my ways.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2018, 07:04:20 PM »
I saw the SOI tour twice.  To be honest, the impact is somewhat blunted the second time, although it's certainly a fun concert.  I saw SOE once and found it moving.  I think the shows are meant to be seen one time due to the props, emotional and linear storyline, etc.

Offline Tortuga

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2018, 07:45:56 PM »
I think we all want differing opinions. But if I do think the sun shines out of U2's ass, am I not allowed to post that?

Of course you are but I donít ever see anyone with positive views of SOE being scorned.  I donít think your view is ever going to cause you any grief.

Offline Tortuga

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2018, 07:49:46 PM »
people should be able to do that without getting people who donít agree with what they have posted jumping down their throats.

And I am pleasantly surprised that my sarcastic post has sparked a bit of open discussion.

You actually believe that? Even though I was one of only two people who responded to your post in any way? My, what a world you have created for yourself.

You and 64ac30 bleated about what you saw as inciteful and disagreeable posts , Tortuga asked what ones as he or she didnít see anything, and got no replies.

And donít forget the forum was shut down essentially because the vast majority of posters didnít like ĎYTBTAMí, and said so in descriptive ways. So much for open discussion and differing opinions.

Actually, I'm one of the few people who isn't ignoring you. Which is quite foolish of me. I'm changing my ways.

Well, it is true that I asked which posts were deemed as being inciteful and there were no replies.

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2018, 12:18:51 AM »

Well, it is true that I asked which posts were deemed as being inciteful and there were no replies.

Not on the main thread, because people were trying not to violate forum rules. Or I was anyway. But there were PMs as you know and hotty375 does not.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2018, 05:17:01 AM »
Its theatrical and its meant to be theatrical.  Its the end of the arc that started with SOI / I&E tour.  I can't comment on the specific experience of the latest tour yet because I have yet to see it (not coming my way until next month).  I am only due to see one show on the tour as I have with the last 5 tours. 
I would have loved to have seen them multiple times on other tours, but money and having another life outside of following U2 played into that factor.
I don't have a problem with only seeing the show once on a tour.  I can see all the set changes via other people's videos posted online.
U2 perform live better than many other bands half their age - they put so much effort into a performance (and this is now starting to show as they are beginning to approach 60).  To be fair to them, you can see how much it meant to the band (Bono in particular) when they couldn't finish the Berlin show due to his voice problems.  They've done the right thing and rescheduled at the end of the tour because they want to do justice.

We will have to see if they do more theatrical tours in the future or if they go to something more spontaneous (the Apollo show in NYC is a good example of their versatility).

Offline Tortuga

• Headache in a Suitcase
Is U2 phoning it in?
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2018, 05:25:06 AM »

Not on the main thread, because people were trying not to violate forum rules. Or I was anyway. But there were PMs as you know and hotty375 does not.

There was one PM and it did not offer up any posts that were seen as inciteful.  I donít find it very likely that others would have thought that replying to that question would have been a ban-able offense.  But we can all have our own opinions.

In any case, you cannot deny that certain members of this forum will jump down your throat if you say the least little thing you donít like about one particular album or tour.  Their rationale is that it is a ďfanĒ forum and you are being a traitor, not a fan if you say anything at all negative.  This is a made up rule in their own mind and a downer to having any kind of meaningful or interesting discussion.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 05:33:46 AM by Tortuga »

Online laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2018, 05:54:55 AM »
I haven't seen any ody call anybody a traitor or anything like that.

As for jumping down your throat, do you mean that some people disagree with you?

Isn't it ok to disagree?

Aren't we looking to have a discussion?

Don't we want to have different opinions?

All of this should be respectful, of course. No name calling.

I like hearing all the different opinions and I like putting in my own two cents. Even if I diagree with an opinion, I consider it. There's very few opinions on the board that I can't take seriously. I would loathe it if this were an echo chamber. As long as the actual trolls are gone (and I've only seen one troll on the forum so far, posted once or twice before getting banned, obviously it was nobody in this thread) let's debate!

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2018, 11:04:32 AM »

There was one PM and it did not offer up any posts that were seen as inciteful.  I donít find it very likely that others would have thought that replying to that question would have been a ban-able offense.  But we can all have our own opinions.

In any case, you cannot deny that certain members of this forum will jump down your throat if you say the least little thing you donít like about one particular album or tour.  Their rationale is that it is a ďfanĒ forum and you are being a traitor, not a fan if you say anything at all negative.  This is a made up rule in their own mind and a downer to having any kind of meaningful or interesting discussion.

Actually, in my PM to you, I did talk about a post I thought was inciteful and I explained why I thought that.

I haven't seen anyone get called a traitor for being critical of some aspect of the band's music or performance, but maybe I missed something. Could you provide an example?

This is certainly a fan site, but that doesn't mean the band's work can't be discussed from a critical perspective. On the other hand, if someone were to come on here just to bash the band or insult them on a personal level that would be inappropriate. Also, because U2 are hated by some people for reasons having nothing to do with their music, trolls are always a possibility.

This forum does not exist so that everybody can agree with everybody else. It exists so that different opinions and perspectives and feelings can be aired, in civil and respectful ways, as that is what allows a discussion to thrive. Nobody who posts here is perfect. Nobody is an unassailable expert on U2 or their producers, and nobody is completely dispassionate about the music they love or the musicians who create it. I believe if we all give each other a little slack for being human, that will help to keep the discussion healthy.