Author Topic: Is U2 phoning it in?  (Read 3661 times)

Offline MadRob360

• Refugee
  • Jealousy Is A Disease
Re: Is U2 phoning it in?
« Reply #90 on: September 20, 2018, 11:43:04 AM »
IMO, They're not phoning it in at all. The guys are in their late 50's for christs sake. They are bound to not have the same energy as a 20-something who's just landed a first big record deal playing to the biggest crowds they've ever seen. These guys are well versed in what a big tour takes, and it's a LOT of energy. The narrative of the show is very specific, they're hardly gonna play 'Mofo' right after 'Summer of love' etc. They're at a different place in life. However they know they have a (pretty) loyal fanbase sans the guys and gals that want achtung baby to be re released every 4 years. Also, to get all the sounds required they have terry in the underworld and some pre recorded stuff for Edge to play off. It's part of a show, they don't hide that fact. Bono mentions Terry sometimes, Edge has shown how sounds work on stage videos etc. They interact with the crowd, others onstage would limit this. I Don't post a lot and never have because i've seen too many people thnking that their opinion is right and thats that, And i'm no keyboard warrior...i'd rather have a good conversation about the band

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2018, 02:21:39 PM »
Confession:  A couple of times, I've been in the hard-core group seeking Bono's autograph before a show.  We number maybe sixty?  This is probably the group seeing multiple shows; the rest of that number are probably in GA fighting for a rail spot.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2018, 10:21:21 PM »
One the one side: having seen that massive Tulsa show that had me screaming and jumping more than any U2 show I've ever seen, the shows they're doing now seem a bit short and limp. On the other side: I really want to see one of these current shows, like if I can get Dublin or Manchester tickets I'm going. I'm torn.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 10:22:52 PM by ian ryan »

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #93 on: September 21, 2018, 05:24:44 PM »
It's well worth going.  I'm always screaming and jumping at U2 shows.

Offline seano0513

• Babyface
« Reply #94 on: October 01, 2018, 01:03:20 PM »
Finally! Last night proves that U2 still has the ability to make things interesting when playing multiple nights in a town. So cool. Gloria, Unforgettable Fire and New Years Day in one show. Could be my favorite 3 U2 songs of all time. Stay making its debut is awesome too. So much for the theory that they were stuck playing the exact same setlist every show because of the screens, themes, etc. U2 just needed to take a little risk and it paid off for those attending. Great job by the boys. They’re back.

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Babyface
« Reply #95 on: October 02, 2018, 01:19:52 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Finally! Last night proves that U2 still has the ability to make things interesting when playing multiple nights in a town. So cool. Gloria, Unforgettable Fire and New Years Day in one show. Could be my favorite 3 U2 songs of all time. Stay making its debut is awesome too. So much for the theory that they were stuck playing the exact same setlist every show because of the screens, themes, etc. U2 just needed to take a little risk and it paid off for those attending. Great job by the boys. They’re back.
Couldn't disagree with you more here...  The "risk" that U2 have undertaken for this tour was to shift focus to their newer material and not rely on everybody's "favourite 3 U2 songs of all time"...  "They're back" because they dropped songs that just about everyone would've traded 'The Unforgettable Fire', 'Stay' (Faraway, So Close)' & 'Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses' for in a blink...  They even dipped into the 'Joshua Tree' songbook last month, something that they said that they wouldn't do, by performing 'Spanish Eyes' at one of the Madrid shows...

Both the 'Innocence' & 'Experience' tours were played in arenas for a reason...  there's no way that they'd be able to sell out stadiums around the world without delivering what most clamour and expect to hear from them...  it would've been worse than the half-filled stadiums of the PopMart tour that we saw...  announce a 30th Anniversary Tour for the 'Joshua Tree' and stadiums were sold out in literally minutes...

I get the feeling that this is their last tour...  I'm not saying that they won't ever play live again but all signs seem to point to them taking a much needed extended break...  Expect more trips down Nostalgia Lane as the tour comes to a close...:-)

Offline seano0513

• Babyface
« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2018, 11:34:45 AM »
Couldn't disagree with you more here...  The "risk" that U2 have undertaken for this tour was to shift focus to their newer material and not rely on everybody's "favourite 3 U2 songs of all time"...  "They're back" because they dropped songs that just about everyone would've traded 'The Unforgettable Fire', 'Stay' (Faraway, So Close)' & 'Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses' for in a blink...  They even dipped into the 'Joshua Tree' songbook last month, something that they said that they wouldn't do, by performing 'Spanish Eyes' at one of the Madrid shows...

This isn't a zero sum game with the setlist. You can say they dropped the emasculated version of Sunday Bloody Sunday for The Unforgettable Fire; who in their right mind wouldn't want that? It is a risk for them to play a song like TUF vs. Iris or Cedarwood (2 songs they've been playing night after night for every arena show since May 2015 versus a song they only played on 2 legs of 360 after not playing it the previous 20 years; and it's an incredible song).

Playing Zoo Station now shows that they're more into mixing it up vs. even a month ago when they didn't want to take that extra step in Berlin....it's nice to play it in Hamburg, but that song was born in the eastern part of Germany.

Going back to the new stuff, I'm completely happy they're featuring SOE (I love the album and I don't need to hear Vertigo or Elevation or COBL for the zillionth time) and closing with 13 is a big risk, but it's beautifully executed. What I wish they'd do (and was disappointed to see Hamburg night 2) is play Iris / Cedarwood one night and then Stay / TUF the next or whatever....just mix things up when playing multiple nights is what I find interesting, especially if it's gems that we don't hear too often.

As for Madrid, playing Spanish Eyes for U2 in Spain is a long-standing tradition. It's not like it's one of the 11 JT songs; it's a b-side and I'm glad they treated these fans like they always do. If you see the video, you can tell Bono wasn't 100% confident they'd pull it off, which may be a little bit of an act, but it's cool of them to honor the tradition.

100% AGREE with you on the long break; they need it and deserve it. 3 tours in 4 years is a lot. I'd love for them to come back one more time in 2 - 3 years and bring my oldest kid. That's a personal wish, but the last thing I want is for them to completely overstay their welcome and turn into the Stones. It may not be every night, but U2 still has that ability inside to take us all higher.

Online Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #97 on: October 08, 2018, 06:59:37 PM »
I'm just disappointed that, as always, they just completely ignore POP, when there's so many great songs they could perform from that album that fans may have never heard performed live by the band unless they went to the actual PopMart tour. Also nothing at all from No Line On The Horizon is a disappointment.

I'm not going to the tour (can't afford it) but I'm enjoying watching their shows via Periscope and all the videos on YouTube and think they're performing brilliantly. I don't think they're phoning it in. I do think a surprise or two in the encore would be nice occasionally, though, instead of always ending with the same 3 songs.

Offline seano0513

• Babyface
« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2018, 02:24:22 PM »
I'm just disappointed that, as always, they just completely ignore POP, when there's so many great songs they could perform from that album that fans may have never heard performed live by the band unless they went to the actual PopMart tour. Also nothing at all from No Line On The Horizon is a disappointment.

I'm not going to the tour (can't afford it) but I'm enjoying watching their shows via Periscope and all the videos on YouTube and think they're performing brilliantly. I don't think they're phoning it in. I do think a surprise or two in the encore would be nice occasionally, though, instead of always ending with the same 3 songs.

Agree with you about POP, which would make sense as the EXPERIENCE part of the show. Discotheque and Gone would be amazing on the e stage. That’s one of the reasons why I loved Elevation tour so much as they didn’t turn their back on POP with those songs mentioned above (and a couple others) being featured in 2001.

A little NLOTH would be nice too. Bono snippeted Moment of Surrender at the intro and outro of Bad at MSG in July 2015 for I + E tour and it was so powerful. Need more of that.