Author Topic: Travel Advice - 1st Visit to Dublin/Ireland  (Read 1320 times)

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
Re: Travel Advice - 1st Visit to Dublin/Ireland
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2018, 08:58:33 AM »
Dublin is cut up into postal zones by number. More than just a number, it also indicates your social status. The goal is largely to move up in postal codes and social status.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2018, 09:00:33 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2018, 12:11:22 PM »
The Three Arena's in Dublin 1 if that's what you're looking at. I must be getting old, and I don't get it lol

Dublin 4 refers to the 4th of 4 shows in the city of Dublin by a little group some of us are fond of.

Perhaps there's another meaning too, but I'm sure that's what he was referring to.

Yes, Dublin4 was a reference to the 4th show on Saturday, but I'll keep the codes in mind if I get lost.  Bono must live in Dublin5000 if the goal is to move up in codes.

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2018, 12:15:28 PM »
5 Days away!  So excited.  It's been raining about 2 weeks straight here in western NY helping us to prepare for Ireland! We decided to go 4 days without sleep to fit in as much as we can! 

Thursday - Dublin, Killiney Hill Park
Friday - Belfast
Saturday - Dublin and Dublin4
Sunday - Galway/Cliffs of Moher
Monday - Back to Rochester, NY

Make sure you rest before the concert. Seriously.

We are starting show day with a tour of Guinness and a stop at Hot Press to see pop-up display of all their U2 covers.  Maybe a little rest then before the show.  We are at the Gibson...not sure if we will pre-game there or venture out to another local spot.  Any suggestions for pre-show meet-ups are welcome.

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2018, 01:25:00 PM »
5 Days away!  So excited.  It's been raining about 2 weeks straight here in western NY helping us to prepare for Ireland! We decided to go 4 days without sleep to fit in as much as we can! 

Friday - Belfast

I took my first trip to Dublin between the Manchester and London shows to see the band's roots and general sightseeing so can offer some tips.

Kiliney Hill was beautiful and the beach very quiet. I recommend getting off the Dart train at Kiliney Station, walking up the hill (yes you can't help but go past a certain band member's house) and after 5 mins or so, you'll find a footpath to take up to the hill. The view is incredible and I chose to keep going down the other side and pick up the Dart again from Dalkey station. If you have time, I'd recommend staying on the Dart all the way to Howth where you can admire the harbour and pick up fish and chips for lunch before heading back into the city. You'll probably want to tick off Hanover Quays studio that day as well because it's very accessible by Dart.

In the city centre, you have the Little Museum of Dublin with a room dedicated to U2. The cost is about 10 and includes a tour. I only really went for the U2 room but stuck around for the tour and it turned out to be an amusingly presented walk through the city's history. Then you have the Irish Rock n Roll Museum with loads of memorabilia, recording studios, stories and again a room full of U2 stuff! The price is 16. The only downside is you can't wander at your leisure and must join the rather brisk tour. I bought a U2 print at the end as my souvenir of the trip.

Hope the weather is good for you. I had a lucky run and it was still very pleasant and warm. Let me know if you have any questions about travel or seeing the sites relating to U2's younger lives and formation.

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2018, 02:50:13 PM »

Friday - Belfast

I took my first trip to Dublin between the Manchester and London shows to see the band's roots and general sightseeing so can offer some tips.

Kiliney Hill was beautiful and the beach very quiet. I recommend getting off the Dart train at Kiliney Station, walking up the hill (yes you can't help but go past a certain band member's house) and after 5 mins or so, you'll find a footpath to take up to the hill. The view is incredible and I chose to keep going down the other side and pick up the Dart again from Dalkey station. If you have time, I'd recommend staying on the Dart all the way to Howth where you can admire the harbour and pick up fish and chips for lunch before heading back into the city. You'll probably want to tick off Hanover Quays studio that day as well because it's very accessible by Dart.

In the city centre, you have the Little Museum of Dublin with a room dedicated to U2. The cost is about 10 and includes a tour. I only really went for the U2 room but stuck around for the tour and it turned out to be an amusingly presented walk through the city's history. Then you have the Irish Rock n Roll Museum with loads of memorabilia, recording studios, stories and again a room full of U2 stuff! The price is 16. The only downside is you can't wander at your leisure and must join the rather brisk tour. I bought a U2 print at the end as my souvenir of the trip.

Hope the weather is good for you. I had a lucky run and it was still very pleasant and warm. Let me know if you have any questions about travel or seeing the sites relating to U2's younger lives and formation.

I have a similar plan....but was going to get off at Dalkey, go up the hill, and return via Killiney stop.  Does it make any difference which direction? Like is one way steeper?

I would like to see Howth as well, that might be a good idea to stay on the Dart.  Do they sell day passes, week passes or should we just pay as we go for the trip?

The forecast looks like it will be slightly warmer than where I live....so that's good enough for me.

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2018, 03:46:42 PM »

Friday - Belfast

I have a similar plan....but was going to get off at Dalkey, go up the hill, and return via Killiney stop.  Does it make any difference which direction? Like is one way steeper?

I would like to see Howth as well, that might be a good idea to stay on the Dart.  Do they sell day passes, week passes or should we just pay as we go for the trip?

The forecast looks like it will be slightly warmer than where I live....so that's good enough for me.

Not much difference although there is a fairly steep section with steps if heading to the top from Killiney. I probably took an hour up there admiring the place.

I bought the 72 hour Leap Visitor Card for unlimited travel on buses, Dart and trams (although never found a tram to be necessary during my stay). It does include other train services in the Dublin area so you should end up benefitting if your Friday trip costs can be partly covered as well. 72 hours is 19.50 and you should buy it in the airport. It will start from when you use it the first time.

Offline daveyg

• Stateless
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2018, 12:17:34 AM »
The Three Arena's in Dublin 1 if that's what you're looking at. I must be getting old, and I don't get it lol

Dublin 4 refers to the 4th of 4 shows in the city of Dublin by a little group some of us are fond of.

Perhaps there's another meaning too, but I'm sure that's what he was referring to.

ah ok - confusion clarified!!

Offline daveyg

• Stateless
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2018, 12:29:25 AM »
Dublin is cut up into postal zones by number. More than just a number, it also indicates your social status. The goal is largely to move up in postal codes and social status.

You're kinda correct - yes, Dublin is divided into "Dublin 1, 2, 3 etc" with odd numbers being on the northside and even numbers on the southside. Any addresses in Dublin but outside the city don't have a number and are called "County. Dublin" (such as Stillorgan, Blackrock etc.)

But "moving up the post codes" is a new one in my 45 years living in Dublin. Howth, where Larry lives, is a very rich area, and in Dublin 15. Darndale is in Dublin 17 and is one of Dublin's poorest areas.

Similarly, Kilnamanagh would be considered on the poorer end of things but is in Dublin 24, but Clontarf is in Dublin 1 - you'd be relatively well off living there. Anyway, that argument doesn't follow through.

Dublin 4 (the area rather than the fourth night of U2's show) is well known for being quite affluent. Those living there are often referred to as "West Brits".

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2018, 06:48:57 AM »

You're kinda correct - yes, Dublin is divided into "Dublin 1, 2, 3 etc" with odd numbers being on the northside and even numbers on the southside. Any addresses in Dublin but outside the city don't have a number and are called "County. Dublin" (such as Stillorgan, Blackrock etc.)

But "moving up the post codes" is a new one in my 45 years living in Dublin. Howth, where Larry lives, is a very rich area, and in Dublin 15. Darndale is in Dublin 17 and is one of Dublin's poorest areas.

Similarly, Kilnamanagh would be considered on the poorer end of things but is in Dublin 24, but Clontarf is in Dublin 1 - you'd be relatively well off living there. Anyway, that argument doesn't follow through.

Dublin 4 (the area rather than the fourth night of U2's show) is well known for being quite affluent. Those living there are often referred to as "West Brits".

"moving up the post codes" is a noun that I created. It is so exclusive and 'inside' that you haven't heard of it. Those who know about it don't even speak of it for fear of it losing its power. Think the end of "Eyes Wide Shut".

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2018, 04:33:52 PM »
dwaltman, how was the trip? What did you get up to?

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2018, 06:30:17 PM »
dwaltman, how was the trip? What did you get up to?

Whirlwind! Well, we arrived early Thursday morning around 8:30am.  Went to the Gibson to drop off luggage then took the train to Killiney. Walked to Killiney Hill Park, getting a pic of the gate on the way (several other fans were around too). We walked the park then down to Dalkey for lunch and back to Dublin.  We then toured Kilmainham prison.  That was very interesting Irish history.  We then had scheduled a tour at Hot Press to see all the U2 covers.  Rowan gave us great insight and stories for each cover.  We got to our room after that followed by a short night out in Temple Bar. 

Friday was a tour up to Belfast and Giant's Causeway.  The Black Taxi Tour was really interesting.  The Causeway and surrounding areas was very cool.  A big storm came in and gave us some great wind and rain.  Went to The Clarence for dinner and out to a few bars. 

Now, the crazy part.  Was feeling a bit sick back at the hotel and I passed out and hit my head.  My wife thought I had a stroke or heart attack as I was unconscious.  I came to in a few minutes but didn't know where I was or why I was there.  I ended up at a hospital in north Dublin for about 12 hours.  A CT Scan revealed a small brain hemorrhage and the doctor wanted to keep me overnight for observation.  It's the afternoon of the Dublin4 show and there was no way I was going to miss it.  The doctor thought a rock concert would be the last place I would want to be.  We went from the hospital to dinner to the show.  I thought if I wasn't well, the hotel was right across the street.  Turns out I felt pretty good throughout the show with the help of some Advil. 

Next day was a trip to Cliffs of Moher and Galway.  Very cool places and enjoyed a lot.  Saw an amazing rainbow and a little sunshine.  Amazing coastlines.  Got some food back in Dublin and called it a night.  Then it was my wife's turn to get sick on the night before flying out....all night.  I think we both took turns with getting the stomach bug but when I got sick, my blood pressure went down and passed out.  That's what the doctor thinks anyway. 

We missed our day to see Dublin during the day.  We had planned to just walk around and see some parks, Trinity College, and maybe some U2 spots.   Really sorry to miss that day.

The show was great.  My 30th show and still heard 4 songs live for the 1st time.  Bono had a nice shout out to all those who traveled and to teachers, so that was nice.  The show was really different from the U.S. leg and by different, I mean better. 

Definitely took some advice found here.  Thanks so much, everyone.  Didn't think I would be getting my own brain scan.  Seems appropriate for this tour.   

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2018, 06:43:48 PM »
Rotflol. Great story and I hope you are okay. Srsly, it sounds like a big issue.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2018, 07:55:03 AM »
Hope you are okay, Dwaltman.  Question:  Can you easily take day tours out of Dublin to see various sites, or are you better off doing a motor tour?  Trying to figure out the best way to go.  (I would not be good with driving on wrong side of the road.)

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2018, 02:11:39 PM »
Remember Matthew Broderick. I would take coach tours personally. I wouldn't rent a car there.