Author Topic: Travel Advice - 1st Visit to Dublin/Ireland  (Read 1321 times)

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
Re: Travel Advice - 1st Visit to Dublin/Ireland
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2018, 06:49:24 PM »
What happened to Matthew Broderick? (Okay, I'll just google it.)

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2018, 06:53:06 PM »
Just read about it.  How awful. 

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2018, 07:16:06 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hope you are okay, Dwaltman.  Question:  Can you easily take day tours out of Dublin to see various sites, or are you better off doing a motor tour?  Trying to figure out the best way to go.  (I would not be good with driving on wrong side of the road.)
It's not the wrong side of the road.

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2018, 07:05:11 PM »
Hope you are okay, Dwaltman.  Question:  Can you easily take day tours out of Dublin to see various sites, or are you better off doing a motor tour?  Trying to figure out the best way to go.  (I would not be good with driving on wrong side of the road.)

I really didn't want to drive either,  so I did look into all the options from motorcoach (bus) tour to small group tours to private limos.  I would have went with the small group tours but they don't run in November.  We ended up with Wild Rover Tours and they were good.  On time, funny, knowledgeable, and all that.  While we talked about how we should have maybe only scheduled 1 tour in the 4 days we were there, we couldn't decide what we would have given up.  I would research the tour stops and length at each stop because the tours do vary, even when they might name the tour the same (like Cliffs of Moher, etc).  We left at 7am and returned by 8pm and 8:30pm so it is a long day and much time spent sitting in the bus (both trips were a 3 hour straight return).  I enjoyed seeing the countryside on the way to the destinations though (including Barack Obama Plaza on the way to Galway).   We got a front seat both trips which allowed for more expansive views and discussions with the guides.  They guides were pretty adamant about times and had to get on the Italians for being late coming back to the bus, but it was all in good fun (but they were serious).  I think these were some of the longer trips so it really depends on how long you are there, time of year, how much of your day you want to go, etc. 

As a side, I really enjoyed walking Killiney Hill Park and Dalkey.  I think I would have enjoyed a similar trip out to Howth.  And that only took 4-5 hours, (45m train each way + hiking time).

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2018, 07:36:38 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it but am concerned about that health event.

Got me thinking. If that had happened to me, I would have gone to the concert too. Anything else would have been cancelled but I just wouldn't have been able to deal with missing that.

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2018, 06:11:45 PM »

Got me thinking. If that had happened to me, I would have gone to the concert too. Anything else would have been cancelled but I just wouldn't have been able to deal with missing that.

Thanks...I just had a follow-up MRI at home and the spot seems to getting smaller and repairing itself.  I still get a headache after a long day (which is everyday teaching high school and coach middle school basketball).  So things look like they will be ok and no surprises on the scans.

I never felt bad enough that I even considered missing the show.  I was a bit worried that I might feel worse as the doctor said he wanted me to stay overnight, take it easy when I got back to the states and miss work for 2-3 weeks.  If I had any other job, I might have considered it but it's harder to take off than to go to work in my line of work!  I just didn't feel as bad as he thought I should.  Plus as I said, if things got bad, the Gibson was across the street.

I did miss out on the pre and post concert revelry with all the other U2 fans from around the world. That's part of what makes it special. 

I forgot to mention that after the show on Friday (that we didn't attend),we were walking around the Gibson bar areas and Dallas was sitting at a table.  I looked at him and I'm not sure what kind of look I was giving him but he looked up and waved to me.  It was one of those looks like he thought he knew me but not really.  I just said "hi, Dallas" and kept walking.  I wish I would have talked to him or got a picture or something but that was about the time I started not to feel well.  We were going to have a nightcap before heading up to the room but I wasn't feeling right.  A couple of hours later is when I passed out.

Also, on Saturday night we rode the elevator with the comedian Rich Hall.  I didn't know it at the time.  He had a guitar case and 2 other guys with him.  I asked him if he had a gig and he said yea and I asked how it went and he said pretty good.  His friends asked to push floor 6 and he asked for floor 7. Well, there is no floor 7 and I said that must be some secret VIP floor.  His friends laughed and Rich goes, "oh yea, that floor is Bono's floor." He had no idea I was there because of Bono.  I looked up the venue he played when I got to my room and realized it was Rich Hall.  He's pretty funny and plays guitar.  He was also on Saturday Night Live in the 1980's.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2018, 06:26:14 PM »
Is it actually possible you'll be 100% ok, then? Gee, a brain bleed sounds hella serious. And I'm also second guessing about the concert - loud noises, jostling, bright lights, jumping up and sown, that could have gotten the bleeding going again. I'm not saying I wouldn't have done it... but jeez, just be very careful now at least ok?

Awesome on seeing Dallas, I would have been thrilled. I'm guessing the look on your face was, "is that Dallas Schoo?" and Dallas said to himself, "oh look, a hard core fan trying to decide if it's me; I'll give him a wave."

Happy for you on Rich Hall too, but I've never heard of him! Funny he covered it by joking it was Bono's floor. But of course Bono was sleeping in his own bed that night anyway.

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2018, 05:29:23 AM »

Thanks...I just had a follow-up MRI at home and the spot seems to getting smaller and repairing itself.  I still get a headache after a long day (which is everyday teaching high school and coach middle school basketball).  So things look like they will be ok and no surprises on the scans.

I never felt bad enough that I even considered missing the show.  I was a bit worried that I might feel worse as the doctor said he wanted me to stay overnight, take it easy when I got back to the states and miss work for 2-3 weeks.  If I had any other job, I might have considered it but it's harder to take off than to go to work in my line of work!  I just didn't feel as bad as he thought I should.  Plus as I said, if things got bad, the Gibson was across the street.

I did miss out on the pre and post concert revelry with all the other U2 fans from around the world. That's part of what makes it special. 

I forgot to mention that after the show on Friday (that we didn't attend),we were walking around the Gibson bar areas and Dallas was sitting at a table.  I looked at him and I'm not sure what kind of look I was giving him but he looked up and waved to me.  It was one of those looks like he thought he knew me but not really.  I just said "hi, Dallas" and kept walking.  I wish I would have talked to him or got a picture or something but that was about the time I started not to feel well.  We were going to have a nightcap before heading up to the room but I wasn't feeling right.  A couple of hours later is when I passed out.

Also, on Saturday night we rode the elevator with the comedian Rich Hall.  I didn't know it at the time.  He had a guitar case and 2 other guys with him.  I asked him if he had a gig and he said yea and I asked how it went and he said pretty good.  His friends asked to push floor 6 and he asked for floor 7. Well, there is no floor 7 and I said that must be some secret VIP floor.  His friends laughed and Rich goes, "oh yea, that floor is Bono's floor." He had no idea I was there because of Bono.  I looked up the venue he played when I got to my room and realized it was Rich Hall.  He's pretty funny and plays guitar.  He was also on Saturday Night Live in the 1980's.

What a mad week. You certainly cut it very fine with the hospital trip. I would be the same and probably crawl on all fours to attend a U2 gig. Sorry you didn't get to see everything but you certainly packed a lot in. I'm jealous of the Hot Press visit.