Author Topic: Travel Advice - 1st Visit to Dublin/Ireland  (Read 299 times)

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
Travel Advice - 1st Visit to Dublin/Ireland
« on: September 07, 2018, 10:10:03 AM »
I thought I might be able to tap into some native Irish men and women's thoughts on things to do in Ireland.

I'll be heading to Dublin on Nov 7 (arriving on the 8th am) and leaving Nov 12.  Going to Dublin4 on Saturday Nov 10.  Staying at the Gibson (although, give me a reason not to stay across from the arena and I'll consider re-booking).

I figure that on Thurs and Saturday, I'll stay local and explore Dublin.  Jet lag and all on Thurs and day of show on Sat.  I have seats so I'll have the day.  So that leaves Friday and Sunday for 2 day trips.  I'm looking for suggestions/advice/considerations for those 2 days.  I'm considering....

Belfast
Galway
Cliffs of Moher
Cork
Limerick
Slane Castle
Dingle Peninsula
Killarney
Howth Harbor
Wicklow
...and some other places.

Thanks in advance for any comments and advice.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
Re: Travel Advice - 1st Visit to Dublin/Ireland
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 12:54:42 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 06:51:19 PM »

Thank you. I had not seen that video.

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 08:59:32 AM »
I'm not from Ireland but the UK.
To go away for the day - the road and rail network in Ireland is improving, but distances can be deceptive. It can take longer than you think.
There are regular trains to Cork but the journey times are slow (in comparison to parts of mainland Britain).

Check out Irish Rail's website if you want to venture to Cork, Galway etc
You can also go to Belfast on the Enterprise service.  This is a less frequent cross border train that is operated jointly between the Irish and Northern Irish train operators.  It's 2 hours to Belfast.  And you won't be checked by customs or immigration on your arrival at Belfast by train.

Other than that, the Dublin coast is beautiful in places (however this will be in November and it may be cold and rainy so you will need to wear outer layers - and you may not see the area at its best).

Howth is on the DART service which is a transit service through the greater Dublin area.  The other end of the line is Bray or Greystones.  Although if you are in Howth or Killiney, you may come across any of the band!

Offline frannodub

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 10:53:56 AM »
As beautiful as the South and the West of the country are, you wouldn't be doing them justice if you only had a single day to spend there including your travel time.  You could certainly make it to Belfast and back on the train.  Otherwise as other posters have said you could explore Howth, Killiney, Malahide, etc in Dublin.  Glendalough in Wicklow is worth the trip and Slane is also reachable if you fancy a day trip  out of town.

Enjoy Dublin and the concert!

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 11:44:39 AM »
As beautiful as the South and the West of the country are, you wouldn't be doing them justice if you only had a single day to spend there including your travel time.  You could certainly make it to Belfast and back on the train.  Otherwise as other posters have said you could explore Howth, Killiney, Malahide, etc in Dublin.  Glendalough in Wicklow is worth the trip and Slane is also reachable if you fancy a day trip  out of town.

Enjoy Dublin and the concert!

Thank you!  We are pretty certain that Belfast and Giants Causeway will be one of our day trips.  Gotta touch upon the political history of Belfast...being a U2 fan and all.  It'll be a long day but we will try to maximize our daylight hours!

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 03:44:13 PM »
If you have any interest in archeology dont miss Newgrange. Its a 5000 year old tomb, and the tour takes you inside. Or at least it did when I went. Its not far from Dublin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 10:20:55 PM »
Here is a quick read on NI history:

Offline daveyg

• Stateless
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 12:32:04 AM »
I'm from Dublin

Yes, firstly, it'll be November as already pointed out. More than likely wet and cold.

You've mentioned two days for day trips. Distance is deceptive on a map of Ireland, so keep that in mind. Let's look at the list you provided:

Belfast - can get a train up in about 90 minutes or so from Dublin. Not a huge city so do-able in a day trip

Galway - if you're talking Galway city, it can be done in a day. West Galway (Connemara), that's another hour's car journey (the train doesn't go out that far west). Great views but if you're planning anything more than a quick quck quick view, this might be an over-night-er,

The next three are the same advise as Galway

Cliffs of Moher
Cork (great city!!)
Limerick  - without dissing Limerick - why????

Slane Castle - do-able in a half day. Not far from Dublin at all.

Dingle Peninsula - West Kerry. Lovely part of Ireland but definitely not a quick one day spin. You could do it but you'd be getting out of your transport, one look around and turning back to Dublin. Longish trip down

Killarney - see above. Plus this is the tourist trap of Ireland. Tack everywhere - yeh you can get your four leaf clover and leprechauns here

Howth Harbor - north Dublin. Quick train (DART) trip up from city centre

Wicklow - very hilly part of Ireland. Great views, but most good views (e.g. Glendalough) are on top of mountains. And it's November. Very close to Dublin.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 12:35:00 AM by daveyg »

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 01:53:07 PM »
I'm from Dublin

Yes, firstly, it'll be November as already pointed out. More than likely wet and cold.

You've mentioned two days for day trips. Distance is deceptive on a map of Ireland, so keep that in mind. Let's look at the list you provided:

Belfast - can get a train up in about 90 minutes or so from Dublin. Not a huge city so do-able in a day trip

Galway - if you're talking Galway city, it can be done in a day. West Galway (Connemara), that's another hour's car journey (the train doesn't go out that far west). Great views but if you're planning anything more than a quick quck quick view, this might be an over-night-er,

The next three are the same advise as Galway

Cliffs of Moher
Cork (great city!!)
Limerick  - without dissing Limerick - why????

Slane Castle - do-able in a half day. Not far from Dublin at all.

Dingle Peninsula - West Kerry. Lovely part of Ireland but definitely not a quick one day spin. You could do it but you'd be getting out of your transport, one look around and turning back to Dublin. Longish trip down

Killarney - see above. Plus this is the tourist trap of Ireland. Tack everywhere - yeh you can get your four leaf clover and leprechauns here

Howth Harbor - north Dublin. Quick train (DART) trip up from city centre

Wicklow - very hilly part of Ireland. Great views, but most good views (e.g. Glendalough) are on top of mountains. And it's November. Very close to Dublin.

Was considering Galway and Cliffs of Moher on 1 day trip.  We might do a private tour...basically get a chauffeur. Does that help?  Seems like you would advise against that.

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 07:38:47 PM »
Here is a quick read on NI history:

I'm reading this You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I'll check this out too. Thanks.

Offline daveyg

• Stateless
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 11:56:27 PM »
Was considering Galway and Cliffs of Moher on 1 day trip.  We might do a private tour...basically get a chauffeur. Does that help?  Seems like you would advise against that.
Oh, it can be done in a day. Ive just done a google maps from my house in Dublin to the cliffs of Moher, then to Galway city and back to my house in Dublin. That trip no stopping in the car would take about seven hours. Add in photo taking, shopping time, stops for food. And if you want to head out to Connemara (west Galway).

Also, as a U2 fan visiting Ireland, you might try this

« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 11:58:00 PM by daveyg »

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 09:57:31 AM »
Oh, it can be done in a day. Ive just done a google maps from my house in Dublin to the cliffs of Moher, then to Galway city and back to my house in Dublin. That trip no stopping in the car would take about seven hours. Add in photo taking, shopping time, stops for food. And if you want to head out to Connemara (west Galway).

Also, as a U2 fan visiting Ireland, you might try this

Thank you, I have not seen that book.  Just ordered it.  It'll be a nice reference.  I have a few places in mind to visit but not going all out on U2 sites.

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 09:10:09 AM »
If you want to go to Belfast, it's worth it.
It's about 2 hours on the train.
The station is not right in the city centre, so you may want a taxi to Donegall Square in the city centre.  From there you can look at the City Hall (there are infrequent tours in November - but it was designed by some designers working on the Titanic and is said to have an interior that shows a glimpse of what the interior of the Titanic would have been like).
The Titanic Quarter is a bit of a way out from the city centre (20+ mins walk).
If you want the Giants Causeway, there are coaches that depart from near the Tourist Information Centre on the north side of Donegall Square.  There are several competing companies offering coach trips.  Trip Advisor may be a good starting point to explore your options.  Although Giants Causeway is a trip in itself.  I've yet to go as every time I've been to Northern Ireland, there is so much to try and pack in. 
I would recommend an open top bus tour of Belfast.  There are 2 or 3 companies running them.  I've been on the red City Sightseeing one which goes to Titanic Quarter (near the Belfast Arena) past the Titanic slipway and the yellow shipbuilding cranes, out to Stormont (Northern Ireland Assembly) and the area of Belfast where George Best grew up. It also goes past the historic Queens University and the Botanical Gardens before heading along the Falls Road (Republican Area) and the Peace Wall, no-mans land (gated road in the interface zone), the interface wall (60ft high wall separating the Falls and Shankill areas of West Belfast) before travelling past the Crumlin Jail and along the Shankill Road (Loyalist Area) before heading back into town via St Ann's Cathedral.
If you want to see where (Sunday) Bloody Sunday happened.  That is in Derry/Londonderry, which is a 90min-2 hour trip from Belfast (things happen slowly in the vast majority of Ireland). Derry/Londonderry is a compact city, also with a sectarian interface, and the main sites are easily do-able, but probably not in the timescale you have. 

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2018, 12:03:52 PM »
Just wanted to say thanks to all of those took the time to offer advice and any others who do so.  Lots of great things to consider.  I'm looking to pack it in and be exhausted when I return home.  I wish I had more time and I wish I could say I will get back a 2nd time but I probably won't, so I really appreciate the suggestions.