Author Topic: What singles would you have picked for the last 3 albums?  (Read 783 times)

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
Re: What singles would you have picked for the last 3 albums?
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2018, 12:17:30 AM »
NLOTH: 1) Crazy Tonight (the album version with the falsetto part of the chorus in normal voice instead and the "baby baby baby" section with different lyrics that don't sound so much like a ripoff of Ultra Violet), 2) No Line On the Horizon, 3) Magnificient

SOI: 1) Every Breaking Wave 2) The Troubles (when you have an amazing guest vocalist like that, why not put it out as a single?), 3) Sleep Like A Baby Tonight

SOE: 1) You're the Best Thing About Me (the song is great even in spite of cheesy lyrics in places), 2) Summer Of Love 3) Red Flag Day

Offline aussieu2

• Wanderer
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2018, 05:20:56 AM »
NLOTH
NLOTH
Breathe
Magnificent

SOI
TIWYCRMN
Raised By Wolves
Every Breaking Wave

SOE
Blackout
Red Flag Day
Lights Of Home

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2018, 05:54:15 PM »
NLOTH:

Breathe
Magnificent
Crazy Tonight

SOI:

California
The Troubles
Volcano
Cedarwood Road

SOE:

The Blackout
Best Thing
American Soul
Little Things
RFD

...damn, I love these albums.

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2018, 11:38:01 PM »
No Line On the Horizon:

1. Moment of Surrender
(grand, gutsy opening statement, also the best song on the album)
2. Magnificent
(pretty standard U2, but a good song and a good single)
3. No Line On the Horizon
(Another gutsy move, sounds different for them, but another really good song)

Songs of Innocence:

1. Every Breaking Wave
(Breaks the trend of releasing a "rocker" first, and it's just the best thing from this album)
2. The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)
(Not as good a song as Cedarwood Road, say.  But it's got a good riff and a good hook, good single)
3. The Troubles
(Something interesting again, and the Lykke Li vocal is a strong hook)

Songs of Experience:

1. Red Flag Day
(Such an obviously great single, it baffles me that this band has the judgement required to make the song in the first place but not the judgement to release it as a single)
2. The Little Things That Give You Away
(At this point in a band's career, they should lean towards the best songs rather than the songs that sound like radio hits when choosing singles)
3. Summer of Love
(Catchy, sounds really different for them)
4. Love is Bigger Than Anything in its Way
(Typical anthemic U2, works well as a single)
5. 13
(Seems the band is going to release a lot of singles from this one.  I think 13 is a fantastic ballad with a great chorus, really strong song that would make an interesting single, sounds cinematic too, so lots of potential for an atmospheric video)

Offline Chip

• Numb
  • "Hey, I've been waiting to get home a long time"
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2018, 10:07:42 PM »
These are based on what I would have gone with thinking of radio success.

NLOTH
1. "Magnificent" -- With a different radio edit from the released single
2. "Breathe"
3. "Crazy Tonight" -- Impossible to ignore when it's so obviously crafted to be a single
4. GOYB -- Radio edit needed to restructure the song, but still could have been a hit
5. "Moment of Surrender" -- Radio edit needed

SOI
1. EBW (album version) -- Very radio friendly with the biggest chance of a being a hit single
2. "The Miracle" -- Not a favorite, but a logical single -- it just shouldn't have been the first one
3. SFS -- See comments for "The Miracle."
4. "California" -- With the most exciting U2 song opening since COBL, it could have gone somewhere . . . maybe . . .
5. "Iris" -- Hard to pass over "Cedarwood Road," but this song's power live could have better translated into a decently performing single

SOE
1. LIBTAIIW
2. GOOYOW
3. SOL
4. YTBTAM
5. TB

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2018, 10:04:25 PM »
NLOTH
1. NLOTH
2. Magnificent
3. Get On Your Boots
4. Breathe

SOI
1. California
2. EBW
3. Invisible
4. Cedarwood Road

SOE
1. YTBTAM
2. The Blackout
3. GOOYOW
4. TLTTGYA

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2018, 05:48:27 AM »
Magnificent
Every Breaking Wave
Red Flag Day

Offline Sonofabono

• Babyface
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2018, 05:32:39 PM »
Good topic!

NLOTH: Breathe, Stand Up Comedy, Magnificent
SOI: California acoustic, Troubles, Iris
SOE: Red Flag Day, Summer of Love, Love is Bigger

If there's any logic here it's that radio songs need to be big enough to grab you but also be different enough from all of the other big songs currently on the radio so that they don't just sound like everything else out there. Some songs (Breathe, SUC) fit into sort of the alternative, hard-hitting, Green Day-ish vibe while still being distinctly U2. Some songs (Iris, Summer of Love, Magnificnet) fit into the new dance-ish vibe while still being distinctly U2. California acoustic would have made a good poppy radio palette cleanser. The rest are too good or too U2ish yet fresh sounding to not be considered as singles (Red Flag Day, Love is Bigger, Troubles).

Offline jules

• Stateless
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2018, 04:33:58 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
For NLOTH, I probably would have picked No Line 2. I think the version is very dynamic and would have worked along hit songs from that time by Kings of Leon (Sex on fire) and The Killers (Spaceman). There is not a lot of single material on the album. The only choices are Magnificent and Crazy Tonight in my opinion. As much as I love Moment of Surrender, it would not have worked as a single.

1: NLOTH 2
2: Magnificent
3: Crazy Tonight

For SOI, again, I don't think there is a lot of single material on the album and I happen to think they picked the right songs with The Miracle, EBW and SFS. Maybe they could have led with EBW instead of The Miracle. The problem with the promotion of the album was the Apple backlash as we all know.

1: EBW
2: The Miracle
3: SFS

For SOE, there were a lot more options. I probably would have picked The Blackout, but the album version really lacks dynamics and I think the mix is horrible, especially in the chorus. It would need to be remixed to be a single. Red Flag Day would have been an interesting choice. Summer of love should have been released as a single... in the summer. Overall, I would have done this:

1: The Blackout
2: GOOYOW
3: Red Flag Day
4: Summer of Love
5: YTBTAM

I agree 100% with this post. [I still play NLOTH2 from the Boots CD single all the time, it's a killer track.]