Author Topic: Paris 2 (spoilers)  (Read 425 times)

Offline BlueSquirrel

• Stateless
Paris 2 (spoilers)
« on: September 09, 2018, 05:10:32 PM »
Just back from the second Paris show. It was just magnificent. The scenography blew us away and the narrative was clever. The setlist kicked ass (although they didn't start with "Love is all we have left" but played "The Blackout" to open the show instead). I'll try to remember it and write it underneath.
The only thing that I would have changed if I could was that they didn't play Red Flag Day, (they played "All because of you"). So yeah, Red Flag Day was sorely missed (I would have loved to hear American Soul as it is such an ideal live song but I understand it didn't match the theme of the show in Europe. They did play Get Out of Your Own Way and it didn't feel out of place at all though). The new songs sounded wonderful (better than on the album imo. All the parts that seemed a bit cheesy on the CD such as Summer of Love, Love is Bigger or Best Thing were fantastic live). The audience knew the lyrics, sang  and danced wildly to most songs (we were on the floor near one of the Red Zone). It was incredible to be so close to the band.
McPhisto commented on the rise of extreme-right parties in Europe (mentioning the result of the elections in Sweden). I have no idea to whom the shootouts went during "Beautiful Day" and "Women of the world" because I was busy apologizing to a person who was trying to film nearly the whole show behind me and I inadvertently kept hitting her mobile while dancing, lol.
 It was a pleasure to see Adam so happy during Pride.
And thank you, thaaank you U2 for playing Acrobat liiiiiive !!! (they probably don't read this forum but anyway). It was definitely one of the highlights of the show, even for people who didn't know many U2 songs beforehand (we talked with a few of them after the show). As for me, I had been waiting for this moment since 1991, I think... (I wonder if we could have Drowning Man, Heartland, If God will send His Angels or The Crystal Ballroom next? Just asking...).
The balance between poignant and fun moments was perfect during the gig. It was great to end the show back at the house on Cedarwood Road with the Innocence lightbulb above Bono. His voice sounded a bit like he had a sore throat (it was very deep and somewhat sexy at times) but it sounded really powerful too. The pace of the gig was faster than I had anticipated and the whole band's energy was really pleasant to watch and feel.
Congrats to their video team for the wonderful stories they put together. Plus they had managed to translate almost the entire show in French with was a nice touch for people who don't speak much English.
The only thing that needed a bit of work that night was the sound volume. It was unnecessary loud (too loud even with protection earplugs on). So make sure you get special earplugs for the show if you haven't seen it yet because without any protection it could really damage your ears imo. Anyway, good night (or good day!) to all , don't listen to people who tell you that the show is a bit meh (seriously it's stunning!) and don't let the bastards grind you down! ☺

PS Sorry for spelling/grammar mistakes.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 05:34:17 PM by BlueSquirrel »

Offline BlueSquirrel

• Stateless
Re: Paris 2 (spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 05:25:22 PM »
Setlist (I don't remember the exact order of the songs):
The Blackout
Lights of home
I will Follow
All Because of You
Beautiful Day
The Ocean
Iris
Cedarwood Road
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Until the end of the World
Hold me Thrill Me Kiss me Kill me
Vertigo
Elevation
Even Better Than The Real Thing
You're The Best Thing About Me
Summer of Love
Get Out of Your Own Way
Pride
One
New Year's Day
Love Is Bigger
Thirteen

Online laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 06:12:37 PM »
I enjoyed reading that, thanks!

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 07:24:15 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it!!

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 07:48:56 PM »
Glad you had fun!

Online Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 10:49:04 PM »
I was at this show too, and was really kind of blown away. I feel like its been awhile since a U2 show really knocked it out of the park for me....my ridiculously lucky good seats certainly helped, too. I might have more to say about it when I have more time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 03:02:27 AM »
Great review glad you had fun

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 07:11:54 PM »
I was blown away by the show, too, Johnny.  They certainly have a tale to tell at this stage of their lives, and they tell it extraordinarily well.