Poll

What are your three favorite songs of the album All That You Can't Leave Behind, and how do you feel about the album in 2018?

Beautiful Day
31 (22%)
Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of
13 (9.2%)
Elevation
9 (6.4%)
Walk On
17 (12.1%)
Kite
31 (22%)
In a Little While
15 (10.6%)
Wild Honey
3 (2.1%)
Peace on Earth
2 (1.4%)
When I Look at the World
12 (8.5%)
New York
7 (5%)
Grace
1 (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: All That You Can't Leave Behind: Retrospective  (Read 748 times)

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
Re: All That You Can't Leave Behind: Retrospective
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2018, 10:06:13 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
'The ground beneath her feet' was on my CD. Which gave the album a strong finish, which Grace' doesn't.

'Beautiful Day' was a Bullet proof lead single & no risks were taken with follow up lead singles.

As Bono said in a 'not so secret' album launch gig, U2 were 're applying for the job as biggest band in the world'. The album was just about good enough to achieve this. Oasis were on the slide & Radiohead were going through their own 'Passengers' period.
Even though TGBHF is on the album in some countries, i don't consider it part of the album as it was for TMDH soundtrack.  But if it was, it would be my favorite.

Offline mattangel

• Babyface
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2018, 03:22:30 PM »
Some of the B Sides ...Always, Summer Rain, and cuts supposedly from the ATYCLB sessions...Levitate, Flower Child, Love You Like Mad I found more enjoyable than some of the songs that made the album. 

rockatansky

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2018, 07:03:34 AM »

“New York” is my next song choice as I feel it to be an absolute gem from the second side of this album. Initially, I never really warmed to the track and felt the final few songs of the album were a bit bland and lacked direction. However, I have changed my mind a lot on this song and it is now one of my absolute favourites! Edge’s minimalist riff sounds so inviting and Larry’s robotic intro drum beat is cool as well!

Check this (you've probably seen it already), one my favorite live U2 videos:

« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 07:05:24 AM by rockatansky »

Offline A_Fly_On_The_Wall

• Deep In the Heart
  • Doing My Best Work In Your Disbelief Of Existence
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2018, 01:55:33 PM »
“New York” is my next song choice as I feel it to be an absolute gem from the second side of this album. Initially, I never really warmed to the track and felt the final few songs of the album were a bit bland and lacked direction. However, I have changed my mind a lot on this song and it is now one of my absolute favourites! Edge’s minimalist riff sounds so inviting and Larry’s robotic intro drum beat is cool as well!

Check this (you've probably seen it already), one my favorite live U2 videos:

Yeah, I absolutely love that performance of New York! The way Edge rips into the solo is absolutely sublime and the whole darkness theme of the video just adds to the experience of it all!  8)