Author Topic: Late to the party!  (Read 183 times)

Offline Sbhalt

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Late to the party!
« on: September 16, 2018, 09:17:33 AM »
U2 has always been songs on the radio to me. Nothing more. This past June I was given tickets to see them at MSG. I went rather reluctantly because I wasnít a fan. It meant a commute into the city, the concert started at 8:00, it was my birthday and it was a MONDAY night. That makes for a long work week. The band came out and I was immediately struck by the beautiful tenor of Bonoís voice.  Good concert but now I want to know more. What the heck is this MacPhisto thing? What has been Bono been preaching about all these years. What do the songs mean?
Fast forward 3 months. I canít stop listening to them. The words, the music have blown me away. And they all seem to be good people. I am going through all their music and currently I am in love with Every Breaking Wave. I would love to hear suggestions about older music aside from the Joshua Tree that I should listen to. Iím glad for this forum because my friends and family are sick of me talking about U2!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 07:54:45 PM by Sbhalt »

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Re: Late to the party!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 12:13:07 PM »
Wow, that's amazing. I know the feeling, though.

I'd be very happy to recommend some other songs/albums, but first:

1) What are your favorites and why? You mentioned Every Breaking Wave - have you seen the MTV EMA performance? (Check YouTube if not).

2) Do you have any albums, and if so, which? Or are you listening to them on a song-by-song basis? You can certainly enjoy them either way but there's something to be said about immersing yourself in the themes of an album, including the track order as an evolution of those themes.

I assume you got some answers about MacPhisto (there are some other characters too, including The Fly) and Bono's overall messages (love, anti-war, empathy over sectarianism, etc.)? Also, about the love part, he rarely is talking about romantic love (or at least only about romantic love), even if it seems clearly romantic.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 01:58:16 PM »
Welcome to the family, Sbhalt!  Everyone has their personal faves--mine are kind of different.  I love and would recommend "October" and "No Line on the Horizon".  Are you a young person and male?  If so, you may enjoy the muscularity of "War"?  Are you more fond of an impressionalistic, ethereal vibe?  If so, you may enjoy "The Unforgettable Fire".  The catalog is rich, with something for everyone.  You will be taken on a journey--musically, spiritually, and globally.  Enjoy!

Offline Sbhalt

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 08:28:30 PM »
Thanks for the heads up about the MTV performance. I will check it out. I saw the video of Bono and Edge singing it at a home in Maine. Simply amazing.
I donít have any albums, so that is a great suggestion to listen to the songs in order.
I understand MacPhisto now and itís quite amusing but to see it with no background was somewhat bizarre.
I will look into October and No Line On the Horizon. It might take a bit to listen to War since I couldnít be more opposite of a young male (but I do like the power of American Soul and The Fly).
This is going to fun. Iím looking forward to the journey.  Thanks for helping me catch up on the last 40 years!

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 06:10:58 AM »
I love October and No Line on the Horizon, but they (especially October) are a bit more off the beaten track.

You've named some songs from this decade (Every Breaking Wave and American Soul). So check out the rest of the albums they are on: Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience.

After that, All That You Can't Leave Behind has some big hits like Beautiful Day and Elevation, and smaller hits and big fan favorites like Kite, Walk On, and Stuck in a Moment.

There is also The Joshua Tree, which is front loaded with big hits but also packed with high quality songs to the end. Achtung Baby is very different from The Joshua Tree but a huge, huge album which is front to back incredible and also contains hits like One, Mysterious Ways, and The Fly.

If you're still hooked, try War with hits Sunday Bloody Sunday and New Year's Day, and other great songs, and The Unforgettable Fire with hits Pride (In the Name of Love) and Bad.

Online Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
Late to the party!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 01:14:52 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanks for the heads up about the MTV performance. I will check it out. I saw the video of Bono and Edge singing it at a home in Maine. Simply amazing.
I donít have any albums, so that is a great suggestion to listen to the songs in order.
I understand MacPhisto now and itís quite amusing but to see it with no background was somewhat bizarre.
I will look into October and No Line On the Horizon. It might take a bit to listen to War since I couldnít be more opposite of a young male (but I do like the power of American Soul and The Fly).
This is going to fun. Iím looking forward to the journey.  Thanks for helping me catch up on the last 40 years!
You donít have to be a young male to appreciate War. Actually Iíve never heard that before. I certainly am not a young male and it is my favorite album. Itís an early album, the one that broke them, and generally regarded as one of their greats. Joshua Tree is the album that made them huge and remains their biggest seller. Achtung Baby was a reinvention and is considered up there with Joshua Tree as one of their best albums. All That You Canít Leave Behind was a comeback album that put them back at the forefront of public consciousness. Songs of Experience, their latest album, is considered a late career gem by many.

Though opinions vary. The thing about U2 is their sound has gone through different phases over their long career, though somehow thereís always an essence that remains distinctly U2. As you explore their catalog youíll figure out what most appeals to you.

Welcome to the club!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 01:16:33 PM by Luzita »