Author Topic: SOE revisited  (Read 359 times)

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
SOE revisited
« on: September 17, 2018, 09:34:10 AM »
So it's almost a year old. I hadn't listened to it in a while so gave it a spin today. I always liked it but it sounded much better! Until now I preferred SOI, I just thought the songs were stronger. But SOE sounded fresher, and the production is amazing.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
Re: SOE revisited
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 10:18:48 AM »
I listened to most of it a couple nights ago, for the first time in a while.  I think it's still standing up very well.  There are things I like about every song. 

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 10:53:22 AM »
I've been giving it a break since about July, but I did listen once in August and was really pleased with how it was holding up for me. I've listened to some songs here and there, it's just full or extensive album play I've not done as much lately (after having played it daily for several months). But it's a great album, and while there might be a couple of skips if I'm short on time, I still like the whole thing front to back, unlike ATYCLB or HTDAAB. (Feel the same about SOI).

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 05:40:49 PM »
Brought up a song from it tonight and keep skipping around on it, and not moving on.  My God, it sounds so good.  A year on, I’m still very much enjoying it.  I think I’m still catching up to it.

Offline kevtn43

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 06:06:46 PM »
I still been playing this whole album ,it just seems like these songs don't grow old with me

Offline TongueInMyEar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Love it won't be long....
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 08:35:17 AM »
This is the most I've enjoyed a new U2 album in my time as a U2 fan (since around 98/99).

It only occurred to me yesterday it may be due to the stage I'm at in life. In the time between SOI & SOE I got married, had a kid, and got another on the way. Also lost people that meant a lot to me, and seeing friends going through the same.

A lot of the themes therefore mean something to me. Bono's songs for his children (GOOYOW, 13), song for his wife (Landlady), song about his own mortality (Little Things), and the literal meaning of Love Is Bigger Than Anything In It's Way (and Love Is All We Have Left) all resonate with me. It's probably the U2 album I needed at this point.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 07:11:32 PM »
Like NLOTH, SOE does indeed resonate with, shall we say, more seasoned listeners :)

Online Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 08:50:10 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Like NLOTH, SOE does indeed resonate with, shall we say, more seasoned listeners :)
I don’t know.  I’m pretty “seasoned” and it didn’t resonate with me.  It seemed like the same themes we’ve been hearing since Kite on ATYCLB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 11:27:53 PM »
I don’t know.  I’m pretty “seasoned” and it didn’t resonate with me.  It seemed like the same themes we’ve been hearing since Kite on ATYCLB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't resonate with me either

Offline fodiktet

• Babyface
  • brick wall
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 10:47:51 PM »
The Showman Red Flag Day Little Things Lights Of Home are great the rest I don't really care for that much.

« Last Edit: Today at 03:15:50 AM by fodiktet »