Author Topic: 20th October - Manchester Arena - travel information  (Read 240 times)

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
20th October - Manchester Arena - travel information
« on: September 21, 2018, 08:37:15 AM »
There is currently planned strike action on Saturday 20th October on much of the railway network in and around Manchester.

If you are coming to Manchester from quite far afield (welcome t'north by the way!) and are not aware of the current situation, please be aware that the UK rail network is 'privatised' and divided up between a number of operators.  A couple of operators are affected by long running disputes with one of the UK rail unions.  One of the operators, Northern Rail, has been affected by strike action every Saturday for the past couple of months and further dates have been announced including 20th October.  Northern Rail operates much of the Manchester rail network, particularly at Manchester Victoria station which is right next to Manchester Arena.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

It is likely that there will be trains running in and out of Victoria station on 20 October as there are other rail unions not involved in strike action - members of those unions should be in work as usual.  Here's the link to Northern Rail's website and there will be updates regarding 20th October nearer the time.

If you are flying in to Manchester, the majority of trains from the airport pass through or terminate at Manchester Piccadilly - there are some operators other than Northern Rail that run trains via the airport to Piccadilly.  You can get off there and the Metrolink tram goes from Piccadilly to Victoria, so if you were going to come into Manchester via Victoria, you may be able to change your journey.

I'm going on 19th October but can get the late Arriva Trains Wales train back early Saturday.  Hope everyone is able to get to the show in good time.  It might be worth planning to leave a bit earlier than you may have done.  Fortunately with it being a Saturday many people are not in work.  I can't see the strike being called off easily though.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
Re: 20th October - Manchester Arena - travel information
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 09:48:40 AM »
Thanks for the update - been keeping an eye on this myself. Going to both shows so travelling back to Scotland on the Sunday so hopefully all ok by then.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 01:21:55 PM »
I'm at the Friday show.  Really looking forward to it.

Offline AliSPNfan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 11:21:30 AM »
I'm going to the Friday show, too.There's a train back to my hometown at 23:12pm on the Friday night but, I probably won't make that train in time so I'm staying overnight and traveling back on Saturday morning instead.The train strikes have meant that there are very few trains running on Saturday 20th and journeys either start by train and end with bus replacement or, in my case, I have to get a bus all the way home.Not ideal but I have no other option really.

Also, I think there will be extra security checks at the MEN Arena so I'd advise people to go early.

Can't wait to see U2 again  :D

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 01:50:50 PM »
Anyone staying in the Travelodge? Never seen Manchester so I'm checking in on Thursday to have a whole day to tour the city, then seeing U2 on Friday and checking out the next morning. I'll catch them again on night 2 in London.

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 01:58:23 PM »
Oh and thanks for that info. I need to get to Manchester airport about midday on Saturday so will now check the services.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 09:48:00 AM »
Kango
depending on the weather (which doesn't look too bad- at the moment) Castlefield is good for the industrial heritage in terms of buildings and architecture.  There's a canal and there are bars and restaurants there.  There's also an amphitheatre type open space which is often used for smaller concerts and events.
In terms of art galleries - there's Manchester Art Gallery and HOME within the main city centre.  There are other galleries but a bit further away.  HOME is the contemporary one and is close to Oxford Road train/tram station.
Closer to Manchester Arena is the peace and quiet of Manchester Cathedral.  It's not big and grand in the scheme of UK cathedrals, but if you don't mind popping into a church for a bit of quiet reflection and to look at the architecture, then it's more or less over the road from the Arena.  Additionally if Football (soccer) is more your religion - give yourself plenty of time to browse round the National Football Museum in the big sloping glass building near the Cathedral.  Admission to both is free, I think.
Additionally, there's the big indoor shopping centre, the Arndale (all the high street shops) and St Ann's Square has more boutique shops.  Deansgate is a long grand street and down that end of town you'll find more designer shops.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 09:54:19 AM »
Also - I meant to say if you go a bit north of the Arena, there's the Northern Quarter which is the hip end of Manchester.

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 11:06:53 AM »
Im driving up from South Wales Fri morning not staying over night driving back after the show really looking forward too UK opening night....!!!!!!

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 11:43:39 AM »
That's great 73October, many thanks. You read me well with the industrial stuff and art gallery. Not so bothered about football. I will definitely visit the Northern Quarter and might eat in Chinatown. As for going to church, I'll save that for Friday night!!

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2018, 01:39:03 PM »
As for going to church, I'll save that for Friday night!!

Yes. Yes.

Offline Northern Powerhouse

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 09:53:23 AM »
Kango,

I don't think it's been mentioned but if the industrial stuff floats your boat, you might like to give the Museum of Science and Industry a go if you're down the Castlefield area. Free admission, lots about Manchester's industrial history, steam engines and planes!

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
« Reply #12 on: Today at 10:36:50 AM »
Kango,

I don't think it's been mentioned but if the industrial stuff floats your boat, you might like to give the Museum of Science and Industry a go if you're down the Castlefield area. Free admission, lots about Manchester's industrial history, steam engines and planes!

Thanks. I'm in Liverpool today (because wanted to tick that off as well) and was impressed by the 'Lion' locomotive they have in the museum. Also a well done exhibition on John & Yoko.