Author Topic: Hello  (Read 212 times)

nulla uomo

Hello
« on: September 22, 2018, 07:41:42 AM »
New member of forum but long time fan of U2.  Most favorite rock band in the world and the Best rock band in the world!

My first U2 concert was on June 21st 1983 at the Orlando Jai Alai Fronton.  It was an amazing concert with only a few hundred people in attendance.  I was up front and was mesmerized.  Before the concert, I had seen U2 music videos on MTV but seeing them live was incredible.  Other concerts I attended were: The Unforgettable Fire Tour - April 30th 1985 at the Jacksonville Florida Memorial Coliseum, Joshua Tree Tour - November 23rd/24th 1987 At Fort Worth Texas Tarrant County Convention Center (On the 24th B.B. King performed with the band), Elevation Tour - April 3rd 2001 at the Dallas Texas Reunion Arena.  Unfortunately due to sporadic health problems and other issues, I've not been able to see them more.

My favorite albums and songs are.....  Well, I could write paragraphs and pages on the subject.

Thanks

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 08:02:46 AM »
Your concert cred is amazing. To have seen them up close in 1983. Sigh. And B.B.!!!

I hope you do share your paragraphs and pages here. Lord knows I have over the last few months.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 08:15:32 AM »
Welcome, Nulla!  How wonderful for you to have seen them in '83.  You were ahead of the pack!

Online Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 11:44:07 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
New member of forum but long time fan of U2.  Most favorite rock band in the world and the Best rock band in the world!

My first U2 concert was on June 21st 1983 at the Orlando Jai Alai Fronton.  It was an amazing concert with only a few hundred people in attendance.  I was up front and was mesmerized.  Before the concert, I had seen U2 music videos on MTV but seeing them live was incredible.  Other concerts I attended were: The Unforgettable Fire Tour - April 30th 1985 at the Jacksonville Florida Memorial Coliseum, Joshua Tree Tour - November 23rd/24th 1987 At Fort Worth Texas Tarrant County Convention Center (On the 24th B.B. King performed with the band), Elevation Tour - April 3rd 2001 at the Dallas Texas Reunion Arena.  Unfortunately due to sporadic health problems and other issues, I've not been able to see them more.

My favorite albums and songs are.....  Well, I could write paragraphs and pages on the subject.

Thanks
Welcome nulla!

How I envy you for seeing U2 at the Jai Alai! I live in Orlando but I got into U2 shortly after they played here so I missed that one.

But maybe you can answer a question for me. I’ve heard rumors that something happened at that concert — not clear on what — that got Bono angry and caused him to declare that U2 would never play Orlando again. Do you know anything about that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tortuga

• Refugee
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 06:23:33 AM »

Thanks

I also was at that 11/24 Tarrant County show with BB King.  Great show and memories.  I remember it was cool and rainy that night.  It was a very different and fantastic time for U2.  Or maybe it was just me, being younger and at a point in life when everything was shinier.

nulla uomo

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 09:27:39 AM »

Thanks
Welcome nulla!

How I envy you for seeing U2 at the Jai Alai! I live in Orlando but I got into U2 shortly after they played here so I missed that one.

But maybe you can answer a question for me. I’ve heard rumors that something happened at that concert — not clear on what — that got Bono angry and caused him to declare that U2 would never play Orlando again. Do you know anything about that?

Hi Luzita,

Yes, you are correct.  The band were playing Sunday Bloody Sunday and Bono was waving the white flag mounted on a pole over the audience.  Some fans in the audience grabbed the flagpole and took it offstage from Bono's hands where they then tossed it around, tearing at it. The incredible part was U2 just completely stopped playing Sunday Bloody Sunday. Complete stop.  Bono shouted through the mic at the crowd and demanded they give the flag back.  If I remember correctly, he said something to the effect that "nobody does this at a U2 concert".  I don't remember if he specifically said anything about not returning to Orlando again.  But he was definitely very angry at the disrespect the fans showed to the white flag.  It was a surreal moment in the awesome concert.  The flag was returned to Bono and the band resumed playing Sunday Bloody Sunday.

I was 23 yrs. old at the time of the concert.  It was my first real concert and there was only a few hundred there.  It was an intimate experience, to say the least. The Alarm opened for U2 and they put on an excellent show too.  I wasn't very familiar with them at the time but later became a fan.

I'm in my late 50's now and love U2 just as much as I did then.  I can also somewhat relate closely to the band since Bono, Edge, Larry and Adam were born in 1959 and 1960.  I was born in 1960 so I consider them in a familiar way.

Online Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 10:10:03 AM »

Thanks
Welcome nulla!

Hi Luzita,

Yes, you are correct.  The band were playing Sunday Bloody Sunday and Bono was waving the white flag mounted on a pole over the audience.  Some fans in the audience grabbed the flagpole and took it offstage from Bono's hands where they then tossed it around, tearing at it. The incredible part was U2 just completely stopped playing Sunday Bloody Sunday. Complete stop.  Bono shouted through the mic at the crowd and demanded they give the flag back.  If I remember correctly, he said something to the effect that "nobody does this at a U2 concert".  I don't remember if he specifically said anything about not returning to Orlando again.  But he was definitely very angry at the disrespect the fans showed to the white flag.  It was a surreal moment in the awesome concert.  The flag was returned to Bono and the band resumed playing Sunday Bloody Sunday.

I was 23 yrs. old at the time of the concert.  It was my first real concert and there was only a few hundred there.  It was an intimate experience, to say the least. The Alarm opened for U2 and they put on an excellent show too.  I wasn't very familiar with them at the time but later became a fan.

I'm in my late 50's now and love U2 just as much as I did then.  I can also somewhat relate closely to the band since Bono, Edge, Larry and Adam were born in 1959 and 1960.  I was born in 1960 so I consider them in a familiar way.
Thanks so much for that information! Well at any rate, they never have played Orlando again.

Yes I am also the same age as the band and relate closely. I actually stopped following them in the 90s because I couldn’t get into the change in their sound, but always kept a soft spot in my heart for them. A few years ago, when my mother passed away, I started watching old U2 videos because I found them comforting. From there I started watching newer stuff and got sucked back in, and now love their entire catalog including most of the music I couldn’t get into before. This has been a very stressful period for me and U2’s music really helps.

nulla uomo

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 10:32:46 AM »

Thanks
Welcome nulla!

Hi Luzita,

Thanks so much for that information! Well at any rate, they never have played Orlando again.

Yes I am also the same age as the band and relate closely. I actually stopped following them in the 90s because I couldn’t get into the change in their sound, but always kept a soft spot in my heart for them. A few years ago, when my mother passed away, I started watching old U2 videos because I found them comforting. From there I started watching newer stuff and got sucked back in, and now love their entire catalog including most of the music I couldn’t get into before. This has been a very stressful period for me and U2’s music really helps.

Luzita,
I hear you and have a similar experience.  I missed out on a lot of the 90s because I was in a marriage where my spouse hated rock 'n roll.  Unfortunately, that was just the icing on the cake and I got divorced 13 years later.  I just drifted away from it all and didn't follow U2 closely.  I rediscovered the 90s part of their catalog later on.  Also, All That You Can't Leave Behind brought me back into the circle again.
I agree with you about stress.  U2 has always had a calming, familiar effect on me.  It's maybe weird to say but I don't listen to any other music.  U2 is it.

Regarding the Orlando concert, I just read a comment about it on U2.com.  The comment said that it was a "bunch of punkers" fighting offstage, Bono stopped the band and yelled at them, in effect to quit with the violence.
I don't know.  I stand by my recollections regarding the white flag being involved.  I do remember some fools acting up in what amounted to a mosh pit.  I remember thinking what the heck, this isn't a Clash concert.

Anyways what I recorded is my recollection as good as it can be.

BTW: I also feel the pain about your mother.  I'm sorry for your loss.  I saved enough money during my career days and am now retired.  I am currently caregiver to my 95 yr. old Mom down here in Florida.  I know her time left is short and I dread the day I will lose her.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 01:01:39 PM »
I'm the same age almost as the band, too.  It's cool to have "grown up" with them.  When they became so popular in '86 it was weird because I'd been a fan since '83 and felt like somehow everyone was latching on to "my band".  I had three children in the 90's decade span but somehow managed to stay current w/ U2.  Not much else, but definitely U2.  Now, I've gone back and realized some of the bands I missed--Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Collective Soul, etc.  I'm glad I stayed with U2 all that time.  Although their sound at the time was quite different (for them), I still recognized in them a kernel of optimism and hope.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 01:41:34 PM »
I can relate on a few fronts, though I'm younger (discovered them in 1988 at age 11). I stopped listening in 2005 partly because HTDAAB was a huge disappointment to me, but mostly because my husband is pretty critical of my music, or maybe was, he hasn't been critical for about a year now. But back in 2005, I had no real way of listening to music privately, and I chose to stop listening rather than have him ruin something really important to me. They never really left me and I'd still play them in my head sometimes, but they kind of went into deep storage until a year ago, when I got my mom's old iPod working, and I could listen to music privately. And pretty soon I decided, screw it, I'm not even gonna hide it anymore. I had never heard one bit of NLOTH or SOI (and SOE was not quite out yet, though I did not even know it was coming when I had my screw-it moment). I ate up all the old music again, and after a few months of quenching my thirst, I gave SOI a shot (fearfully) and was overjoyed to find they were still making music that spoke to me. Worked through SOI, then SOE, now on NLOTH.

Also, I've spent the last 4 months in Orlando helping my parents, lol.

It's been a year and my thirst still isn't quenched, it's weird.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2018, 01:45:33 PM »
Also, I really like the name Luzita. "This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine, shine, shine." I wonder if Bono ever snippeted that song; seems right up his alley.