Author Topic: What songs of innocence and experience will survive the future?  (Read 496 times)

Offline 64ac30

• Refugee
What songs of innocence and experience will survive the future?
« on: September 23, 2018, 12:12:28 AM »
What son gs will make it into future tours?

I think :
Get Out of your own way
Love is Bigger than Anything in its way
Song for someone
Every Breaking Wave

The rest will likely be forgotten given a new album is released. Remeber, Beautiful Day, Pride, Sunday Bloody Sunday, I will follow, still haven’t found, Streets, with or without you, elevation, vertigo, one and city of blinding lights have a 98% chance of returning taking up a decent amount of setlist

« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 12:19:30 AM by 64ac30 »

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
Re: What songs of innocence and experience will survive the future?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 06:19:45 AM »
Love is Bigger, Love is All We Have Left,  Blackout, possibly American Soul.

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 02:25:45 PM »
SOI- EBW, SFS for sure.  California possibly in California.  I still Think TIWYCRMN will be played at some point.  Just a feeling I have.  It’s the new Acrobat!!  Cedarwood, Iris and RBW might show up again, but they are pretty tied to this current tours themes so who knows.  With the release of American Soul, I’d say Volcano is pretty much dead.

SOE- Best Thing, GOOYOW, American Soul (in America only) and LIBTAIIW are locks.  Hopefully Little Things returns at some point.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 03:08:51 PM »
You all are more optimistic than I am.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 03:58:05 PM »
None of them have been hits, in the traditional sense at least. They will probably return to something like lights of home at some point as the band or bono at least seems very proud of that song and a very personal one. Maybe blackout will resurface as its one of those "rocker" songs that will serve a purpose in a set list, especially if they go for an AB anniversary with it being sonically in keep with AB.
Ultimately I don't think any will be staples of future sets.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 04:18:25 PM »
SOI - Every Breaking Wave, Cedarwood Road, Iris in the nearer future.  There is scope for This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now in the future.  Raised By Wolves could reappear if the show narrative is right.  California is the new Spanish Eyes (location specific song played only at certain shows)

SOE - Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way, Blackout, hopefully Lights Of Home and The Little Things The Give You Away.  Would like to hear Get Out of Your Own Way again and Best Thing (maybe).  Red Flag Day in Europe.  \both The Showman and Landlady have Acrobat/Red Hill Mining Town potential.

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 05:28:11 PM »
None, I hope. After a tour with many non-sellouts, in the US at least, and poor album sales - I am hoping they get the message and play the songs most fans like and know.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 05:38:30 PM »
Yeah! Can't wait for them to play Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride, With or Without You, One, Beautiful Day, and Vertigo again!

Offline 64ac30

• Refugee
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 06:31:03 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
SOI- EBW, SFS for sure.  California possibly in California.  I still Think TIWYCRMN will be played at some point.  Just a feeling I have.  It’s the new Acrobat!!  Cedarwood, Iris and RBW might show up again, but they are pretty tied to this current tours themes so who knows.  With the release of American Soul, I’d say Volcano is pretty much dead.

SOE- Best Thing, GOOYOW, American Soul (in America only) and LIBTAIIW are locks.  Hopefully Little Things returns at some point.

Funny thing is they’ve only done California twice. Once in California in 2015 and once in Chicago... I would’ve expected them to play New York in the last 14 times they’ve played NYC but they didn’t

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 07:06:06 PM »
It wont be many at all. Probably The Blackout and GOOYOW. Maybe Cedarwood Rd. For some reason I can imagine Volcano being played again.

Online JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 02:15:14 AM »
In SOI it's almost all story telling, which are in theme with I+E and E+I. So Iris, Cedarwood, RBW will fall off. The only song which are able to return are EBW and SFS. EBW is too much for Bono in the future, I guess. They even don't play it on this tour while it's their best live song in the last years. SFS could be too boring and be replaced by another (new) songs. There are songs on Bomb and ATYCLB which I thought would stay. I think SOI and SOE are just like No Line and nothing will be played in future tours (unless they're using the concept with Songs of Ascent. But I don't expect that).

I really don't think SOE has keepers. But I have to see the show for myself in two weeks  :)

Offline Sonofabono

• Babyface
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 08:30:15 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You all are more optimistic than I am.

I agree - RBW is one of the strongest songs on SOI and it got dropped early on in THIS tour. We don't see any songs from NLOTH. We see BD and Elevation from ATYCLB only because they were hits. Even Stuck in a moment has fallen to the "rare appearances" category. It's sad, but unless they start going for 3 hour shows, SOI+E are gonna get crowded out by the 10 songs that always get played - UTEOTW, One, WOWY, BD, Pride, Streets, etc - along with all the other album tracks that have fallen out of rotation.

Related: people who have complained about the rigidity of this tour's setlist have had others answer them back, "This show is meant to be more of a story than a concert." To which I would say, I don't think that's new for this tour. U2 isn't Bruce Springsteen or Dave Matthews Band- apart from the first few shows when they're still getting stuff figured out and the rotation spots hidden in the set, they've pretty much always played the same songs in the same order. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I remember. The times where it has been more variable - 360 tour comes to mind - have been when they struggled for a WHILE to come up with a coherent concept/setlist for the tour. Because of that, because that's who U2 is, we're probably not going to see SOI+E come back after this tour.

Online dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 11:52:16 AM »
My first thought would be Love is Bigger.  That's the message, the anthem of this record.   I prefer it to hearing One on the next tour again.  From SOI, probably Every Breaking Wave...it's probably the most well known song from the record and 13(There is a Light) has been played on this tour so I doubt Song for Someone would stick around for another tour.

It's going to be a few years...it'll be interesting to see where the band goes from here.

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2018, 12:26:15 PM »
NExt tour will be an AB tour and after that they will release a career spanning greatest hits and tour behind that and maybe one or two tracks from these last two albums will make the cut- probably YTBTAM and EBW.