Poll

Does he mean there's a U2 album on the go anytime soon?  

Yes
13 (20.3%)
No
51 (79.7%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Author Topic: "I assume there’ll be another album" Larry Mullen says  (Read 2537 times)

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: "I assume there’ll be another album" Larry Mullen says
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2018, 03:20:11 PM »
That article is much ado about nothing. The band are fine. Larry and Adam are vegan's or vegetarians and have been for a while now. They all get expert medical care, physical care, etc. This is a band that is interested in taking care of itself and wants longevity!

Offline BONO31

• Wanderer
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2018, 02:30:30 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
At the end of this rolling stone article, it is mentionned that Experience Tour maybe extended in 2019

One thing for sure, if Experience Tour is about going home, and the final date is november 13th,
then, let's say Berlin is U2's home... Another Achtung Baby on the way?
It’s not going to be extended. They referring to an older article. The band has recently been very excited to get off work asap
I know it's an old article but don't you think "Rolling Stone Magazine" is aware about that kind of information... Let's wait until november.

Plus back in 2008, I remember U2 had signed with Live Nation for 4 albums 4 tours until 2020. The band released only 3 albums since:
- No Line on the Horizon
- Songs of Innocence
- Songs of Experience...

Offline Catlithco

• Stateless
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2018, 07:28:52 AM »
I know it's an old article but don't you think "Rolling Stone Magazine" is aware about that kind of information... Let's wait until november.

Plus back in 2008, I remember U2 had signed with Live Nation for 4 albums 4 tours until 2020. The band released only 3 albums since:
- No Line on the Horizon
- Songs of Innocence
- Songs of Experience...

The albums have nothing to do with the tours.
Albums is Universal records business, touring is Live Nation business. They can even publish a record without a tour.
I've never read that the LN deal was linked to an amount of tours, but since signing it, they had four tours: 360, i+e, JT, e+i.

I believe that the tour won't be extended. They will have Berlin as final show for that tour, and then they will probably take a very long break. I guess something around 5 years. If they ever continue. We must not forget their age, it's not only Bono who has already had a serious health issue recently, but the other three can also get health issues. It can happen in that age.

Offline BONO31

• Wanderer
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2018, 11:11:00 AM »
What!? Only 8 persons are optimistic, against 35 persons pessimistic.
What about the law of attraction, guys!?
If you want a new U2 album soon, you better have to believe it's on the way ;)

Offline Catlithco

• Stateless
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2018, 12:15:01 PM »

Did you read the interview?

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2018, 04:10:43 PM »

I play for the optimism team. I'm optimistic about another album.

But "soon"? You're dreaming, sorry.

Offline BONO31

• Wanderer
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2018, 10:11:35 AM »
Of course, I’ve read the article, but honestly, I think it’s over dramatized,
Except for Larry Mullen. I don’t buy it.
Leonard Cohen has performed on stage until the end and he was much more older that any members of the band. I saw U2 live in Paris in September and they weren’t jumping everywhere. What I mean is that nobody’s asking them to fake their age, come on, they’re just musicians, they can play music without pretending they’re 20 years old, that’s ok with me. How many musicians still performing on stage without complaining ? A lot in fact! Why not U2. I’m pretty sure we will have a new U2 album in 2019 and a tout 2020.

Offline Tortuga

• Refugee
"I assume there’ll be another album" Larry Mullen says
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2018, 10:34:46 AM »
Leonard Cohen has performed on stage until the end and he was much more older that any members of the band. I saw U2 live in Paris in September and they weren’t jumping everywhere. What I mean is that nobody’s asking them to fake their age, come on, they’re just musicians, they can play music without pretending they’re 20 years old, that’s ok with me. How many musicians still performing on stage without complaining ? A lot in fact! Why not U2. I’m pretty sure we will have a new U2 album in 2019 and a tout 2020.

This topic about their age and the end being near keeps coming up, always with comparisons to BB King or any of the other musicians who have stayed active into their eighties.  The truth is you never know when anyone is going to develop medical problems and its a simple law of nature that as you age the probability gets greater.  Notice most of these solo acts well into old age are on stage with younger musicians.  All their peers from their younger years aren’t up there with them.

Some people in their eighties are like others in their sixties and vice versa.  Using Leonard Cohen or BB King or Macca or anyone else is meaningless.  So is using Tom Petty or anyone else who died young as evidence that this “may be their last tour”.  Maybe it will be. Or maybe there will be five or six more albums.  Nobody knows.  Just appreciate them while they’re here like you should the loved ones you are close to.  Not everyone dies of old age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 10:37:29 AM by Tortuga »

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2018, 01:43:39 PM »

This topic about their age and the end being near keeps coming up, always with comparisons to BB King or any of the other musicians who have stayed active into their eighties.  The truth is you never know when anyone is going to develop medical problems and its a simple law of nature that as you age the probability gets greater.  Notice most of these solo acts well into old age are on stage with younger musicians.  All their peers from their younger years aren’t up there with them.

Some people in their eighties are like others in their sixties and vice versa.  Using Leonard Cohen or BB King or Macca or anyone else is meaningless.  So is using Tom Petty or anyone else who died young as evidence that this “may be their last tour”.  Maybe it will be. Or maybe there will be five or six more albums.  Nobody knows.  Just appreciate them while they’re here like you should the loved ones you are close to.  Not everyone dies of old age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well said Tortuga
I think that's what the band are getting at.  Nothing is a given these days and in the generation that U2 are in, lifestyle choices are a factor when it comes to life and death (so the professional medics say)...so this is the first generation that played hard and some of those stars have already gone too soon (Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Prince, George Michael, Tom Petty to name but five).  In the UK, we have the startling news that life expectancy growth has stopped.  I think it may actually start to decline slightly.  There's lots of talk of modern 'diseases' such as heat disease, cancer, stroke, diabetes type 2 etc and lifestyle choices.  Whether this is all genuine or a bit of shock tactics to get people to look at how they (have) live(d) is not for this thread.
For all we know, U2 could keep going many years releasing albums and touring. 
But then, they are not getting any younger and they are at the stage on the E&I tour where it seems to feel like they are approaching the finishing line of a marathon (2 albums and 3 tours in 4 years) and they are finding they can't finish with the flourish they may have been able to do when coming off previous long term projects.
I think they want to carry on.  The best thing they could do now is go away, break and regroup for a debrief and maybe to 'dream it all up yet again'. 
I sense the feeling amongst many fans is an acceptance of a bit of a break for a year or so in order to preserve the hopeful longevity of the band.  Who says we are not the caring kind?  We care a lot about the band and want the best for them, even if it means hearing dribs and drabs of news over the next 12 months or so. We've had it good since 2014 and it's been quite a ride.

Offline BONO31

• Wanderer
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2018, 02:08:54 PM »
All these artists were sick, on medication or commit suicide. That's not the case of any member of U2, in the interview, they just mentioned the fact that they're older...

About a new album, we've got very good reason to expect another one before their last goodbye. I think they have an album ready to go, it's called "Songs of Ascent" and it will be released next year to close the songs trilogy. I can already hear Bono saying "It actually takes us 10 years to finish it, but this album is finally here". In fact, U2 started the promotion of "Songs of Ascent" 10 years ago.

Here's a video (released in 2017) about Bono talking about the songs of ascent in the Bible:

For those who're interested, here's the site:

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2018, 02:26:42 PM »
I hope they do a "Songs of Ascent" and that it's somewhat moody, impressionistic, and ambient.

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2018, 02:51:34 PM »
Its 40 years nx year would not be suprised if we a few shows also thinking there would have too be some drastic health issues for them too stop

Offline BONO31

• Wanderer
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2018, 02:57:45 PM »
I hope they do a "Songs of Ascent" and that it's somewhat moody, impressionistic, and ambient.
I feel it the same way about this album. :)

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2018, 06:20:50 PM »
I think they're tired right now. They've been going for a while now. They are looking forward to a break and not in the mindset to jump right back to work.

Assuming nothing significant happens healthwise, I feel pretty sure they will get the itch to work on their music again at some point.

But not soon. They will be going into their cocoon for a while, starting in a month. Even if they have a lot of SOA done, they aren't going to want to touch it for the time being.

Offline durk

• Wanderer
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2018, 03:33:13 PM »
can anyone scan it? i can't read the times