Poll

Does he mean there's a U2 album on the go anytime soon?  

Yes
15 (17%)
No
73 (83%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Author Topic: "I assume there値l be another album" Larry Mullen says  (Read 4740 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Re: "I assume there値l be another album" Larry Mullen says
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2018, 03:59:23 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
can anyone scan it? i can't read the times

Try reading this instead, it's the draft and more complete (but minus editing, so there are typos and some awkward sentence constructions, etc.):

Offline durk

• Wanderer
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2018, 04:30:09 PM »
thanks! that was one of the best U2 interviews i've ever read.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 05:42:42 PM by durk »

Offline 64ac30

• Refugee
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2018, 02:45:40 AM »
All these artists were sick, on medication or commit suicide. That's not the case of any member of U2, in the interview, they just mentioned the fact that they're older...

About a new album, we've got very good reason to expect another one before their last goodbye. I think they have an album ready to go, it's called "Songs of Ascent" and it will be released next year to close the songs trilogy. I can already hear Bono saying "It actually takes us 10 years to finish it, but this album is finally here". In fact, U2 started the promotion of "Songs of Ascent" 10 years ago.

Here's a video (released in 2017) about Bono talking about the songs of ascent in the Bible:

For those who're interested, here's the site:

2015, and that痴 not referring to the once titled 鉄ongs Of Ascent album. And all the songs made for Songs of Ascent = SOI+SOE.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2018, 06:29:36 AM »
thanks! that was one of the best U2 interviews i've ever read.

Ikr?

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2018, 01:50:37 PM »
Of course, I致e read the article, but honestly, I think it痴 over dramatized,
Except for Larry Mullen. I don稚 buy it.
Leonard Cohen has performed on stage until the end and he was much more older that any members of the band. I saw U2 live in Paris in September and they weren稚 jumping everywhere. What I mean is that nobody痴 asking them to fake their age, come on, they池e just musicians, they can play music without pretending they池e 20 years old, that痴 ok with me. How many musicians still performing on stage without complaining ? A lot in fact! Why not U2. I知 pretty sure we will have a new U2 album in 2019 and a tout 2020.

This topic about their age and the end being near keeps coming up, always with comparisons to BB King or any of the other musicians who have stayed active into their eighties.  The truth is you never know when anyone is going to develop medical problems and its a simple law of nature that as you age the probability gets greater.  Notice most of these solo acts well into old age are on stage with younger musicians.  All their peers from their younger years aren稚 up there with them.

Some people in their eighties are like others in their sixties and vice versa.  Using Leonard Cohen or BB King or Macca or anyone else is meaningless.  So is using Tom Petty or anyone else who died young as evidence that this 杜ay be their last tour.  Maybe it will be. Or maybe there will be five or six more albums.  Nobody knows.  Just appreciate them while they池e here like you should the loved ones you are close to.  Not everyone dies of old age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another post that is in the negative when discussing U2.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2018, 02:15:10 PM »
... so?

Offline Karmamalaga

• Babyface
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2018, 04:56:51 AM »
 Songs Of Ascent seems like a likely title for a next album, one which may very well already have been written, if not yet recorded: a little bit like Rattle And Hum. The logo (including the stage) of the iE/eI-tour does not include the letter A. Ascent - at least to me - sounds nothing like descent, i.e. (yes, pun intended) that they are actually far from changing career paths. Zooropa did not need a change of stage, it was the Zoo-TV-Tour.

After such scenario - Songs Of Ascent in 2019 followed perhaps by a kind of Lovetown-like mini tour (Asia?) -  they may take a long pause, but for inspiration, that is. Bono isn't likely going to suddenly stop being inspired in writing, on the contrary: his probem would be to stop writing about current events since the latter change so quickly nowadays and rather write general, ambiguous / mysterious lyrics that anyone can relate to personally or just disregard (Elvis Presly And America's lyrics comes to mind) or prompt one to say "whatever he wants to say, the music is awesome!".

NB: In another recent thread about forums like this one shrinking in activity due to age of fan base etc, I would like to say that that was the reason for my second post today, but also, that I had several calls to attend prior to posting this message. Cheers to you all and U2!

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2018, 05:23:22 AM »
In todays Sun paper yeah i know its not the best paper BUT there a write up on Fridays show & an interview they do with Simon Boyle hes was backstage with the boys page 20 & 21it says the band have no plans too stop rocking the boat on the road just yet it goes on but the rest is more about the screen & there Holidays etc

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2018, 10:50:57 PM »
I can't imagine we'll get another U2 album until late 2021 at the earliest.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 11:10:53 PM by Clarky »

Offline BONO31

• Wanderer
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2018, 01:56:20 AM »
I can't imagine we'll get another U2 album until late 2021 at the earliest.
watch the video at 10:04:

Offline 64ac30

• Refugee
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2018, 11:27:49 AM »
The 鉄ongs of are dead. The next album won稚 be a 鉄ongs of. I知 sure there is a 鉄ongs of Ascent with mercy and winter. But it will never release, at least in the next 10 years, regardless of what adam says. They池e going to take a minimum 3 year gap. And if anyone truly believes they will do an achtung tour, which I HIGHLY doubt, then you should also believe that the next album will just get pushed further out by that nostalgia tour. We致e already seen this before

2009-2011 tour
2012- break/record
2013- record
2014- record and re-record /overthink / release
2015 tour

2015-2018 tour
2019- year off
2020- first half year off
2020/2021- begin talking recording
2022- recording/ rethinking songs
2023- release maybe or rerecord
2024/25- stadium tour

Yeah, say goodbye to u2 for the next several years.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 11:29:59 AM by 64ac30 »

Offline BONO31

• Wanderer
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2018, 12:22:42 PM »
The 鉄ongs of are dead. The next album won稚 be a 鉄ongs of. I知 sure there is a 鉄ongs of Ascent with mercy and winter. But it will never release, at least in the next 10 years, regardless of what adam says. They池e going to take a minimum 3 year gap. And if anyone truly believes they will do an achtung tour, which I HIGHLY doubt, then you should also believe that the next album will just get pushed further out by that nostalgia tour. We致e already seen this before

2009-2011 tour
2012- break/record
2013- record
2015 tour

2015-2018 tour
2019- year off
2024/25- stadium tour

Your calendar is not exactly correct
2014 release
2015 tour
2017 tour + release
2018 tour

So where is the logic? It changes everytime!

Between "No Line On The Horizon" and "Songs of Innocence": 5 years. (And I'm not counting "Turn Off The Dark" release)
but between "Songs of Innocence" and "Songs of Experience": 3 years.

Plus, U2 changed their way of touring. They spend less time on the road each time.

I bet you'll be more surprised than me soon.

Offline 64ac30

• Refugee
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2018, 05:31:10 PM »

2009-2011 tour
2012- break/record
2013- record
2015 tour

2015-2018 tour
2019- year off
2024/25- stadium tour

2014 release
2015 tour
2017 tour + release
2018 tour

Between "No Line On The Horizon" and "Songs of Innocence": 5 years. (And I'm not counting "Turn Off The Dark" release)

Plus, U2 changed their way of touring. They spend less time on the road each time.

My calendar is completely right considering they池e starting from scratch again. SOE began with SOI. Take 2019 off. Add 3 years. It痴 now 2022. Tour won稚 begin until 2023. And if you believe they池e doing achtung, then the album gets postponed another year. I feel bad for all the fans who missed out and the ones who think they値l come back soon. And next time will definitely be the last.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2018, 09:33:23 AM »
I say we won't hear from them until 2022 or 2021 with AB30 short tour before a regular tour or album.

I doubt it's the last time though, unless Larry can't handle it anymore.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2018, 05:31:19 AM »

2009-2011 tour
2012- break/record
2013- record
2015 tour

2015-2018 tour
2019- year off
2024/25- stadium tour

2014 release
2015 tour
2017 tour + release
2018 tour

And next time will definitely be the last.

Why do you say that? It may take a while in between records and tours, but its not because the band is not working. The writing and recording process has taken an average of four years for each album since, 1993, 25 years now, a quarter century. Also, they are a big band and like to launch big successful tours whether they are in the arena or stadium. In the concert business, popular veteran artist normally need to have at least a 3 year space between tours in order to achieve the maximum best business on each tour. Touring more frequently than that for a popular veteran artist usually achieves oversaturation and worse results in terms of attendance levels, demand levels per tour.

Check out the last minute of this video on Sting(age 65 in the following interview) when the interviewer brings up "retirement" and see what Sting says about that:

Sting - "retirement?" "I don't really understand that word." "I'm not gonna retire."

I think U2 is the same way and they are almost 10 years younger than Sting. Why stop doing what you love doing with people you love that you have been enjoying this experience since High School? Why stop? Stop and do what?