Author Topic: Is U2 overloading AB material because they wonít do a ZOOTV-2 tour?  (Read 1466 times)

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
Re: Is U2 overloading AB material because they wonít do a ZOOTV-2 tour?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2018, 08:13:19 PM »
Oh they won't skip an AB opportunity in the future. I think a 62 date Tour through some of the most deprived markets in the world, like New York, southern California, maybe a Chicago and Boston show, perhaps squeezing in London, Dublin, maybe even Paris.

All those places that are starved for U2 shows.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2018, 08:16:21 PM »
I sense a hint of irony in the air.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2018, 09:43:15 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Theyíre starting to get really heavy on the 90s material. Stay, wild horses, Acrobat, zoo station, one, even better. And just today, they rehearsed The Fly for tonightís show. Last year on TJT 2017, they gave us Ultraviolet and occasionally mysterious ways. Are they giving us the AB songs now because they know they donít want an achtung tour? I think so

An Achtung Baby Tour or ZOO TV tour in 2021/2022 was and is very unlikely. The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 was a rare one off for the band. It was easy to do because 1987 tour was all about the album. The ZOO TV tour was about the Achtung Baby album but also a bit more. It was about the future and the recent impact of cable TV over the previous 8 to 10 years. How would you do a retro tour of that? Would the tour being in 2021 or 2022?

Then how many people would actually attend such an event. The Joshua Tree Tour did well, but there were many shows that sold less tickets in the United States than on the 360 tour for the No Line On The Horizon album and, no it wasn't because of the different staging either. Lets be honest, a ZOO TV Tour in 2022 would be less popular than the Joshua Tree tour of 2017.

But the most important thing is that U2 is still a band that cares most about its next new album and new tour. They are a band of the present and the future. They would rather do a new album and new tour in the 2021/2022 time frame than do a retro tour of ZOO TV and I think that's a good thing.

The themes of technology-induced sensory overload and political uncertainty resonate as well now as they did then, if not more so. Swapping in the internet for cable TV, infinite channels for 500, is no problem at all.
The other day I saw an installation of a video art piece from 1987 titled Total Recall, which if it wasnít used by the band and crew as a source of inspiration would make for a rather large coincidence. What struck me when I went back to watch the opening bits of ZOO TV was that while the concerns and overall technique were the same (audiovisual bombardment across out-of-sync television screens) the media used to tell the story had radically changed from how much the world had shifted in the intervening years.
Point being, the concerns that  motivated ZOO TV are quite persistent and adapt well to changing times.

I think that diminished sales of TJT30 relative to 360 were partially due to audience fatigue from having hit so many of those cities with I+E. However, while the hits from AB are as massive as those from JT, I do think that for a casual audience JT as an album and an idea has more resonance, so I think in terms of tour popularity it could go either way.

I think the new album concerns are what would win out - I donít think they want to plan a repeat of this overloaded schedule or delay the new album to accommodate an anniversary tour. (Whether they might use the tour to excuse a delay of the album is a different story.) Iím just someone who was born right after ZOO TV ended and would very much love to get a chance to see a reborn version of it .P

I saw the ZOO TV tour four times! It was a great show. My first ZOO TV show was my 2nd concert ever. In the link below is the third ZOO TV show I saw on August 16, 1992 in Washington D.C. at R.F.K. Stadium. I had just met all the band members two weeks earlier near Hershey Pennsylvania where they practiced for the tour.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login - August 16, 1992 ZOO TV - Washington D.C. - R.F.K. Stadium

Below Is another great ZOO TV show that I did not see in Stockholm Sweden earlier in the year on June 11, 1992. I was actually visiting Dublin Ireland for the first time on that date.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login - June 11, 1992 ZOO TV - Stockholm Sweden - The Globe

I did see the indoor version of ZOO TV in arenas which is what the above Stockholm show is. I saw my first ZOO TV show on March 10, 1992 in Philadelphia at the Spectrum.

Greatest version of Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses is the version done in the June 11, 1992 show in Stockholm. Make sure to check that out.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2018, 08:22:55 AM »
I saw Zoo TV twice. The first time was maybe their second show? Very early on in Charlotte, in the arena. Boy I'd love to have the chance to do it again, especially since I was just jaw-agape stunned. I tried to shake myself out of it but I was overloaded, which I guess was the point, but I mostly just couldn't believe I was at a U2 concert. I was 15.

I saw them in Giants Stadium (New Jersey) later in the summer.

I had actually seen a pretty good number of concerts before. The Rolling Stones. The Who. Metallica. Jethro Tull. Elton John. Pink Floyd. My parents liked rock music so I got to see various acts.

Zoo TV was the first of its kind, and as a SHOW it had simply never been done before. There was always a screen so you could see the musicians better, but it was just a utilitarian screen and not much art to it. A few cameras and someone cutting from Mick to Keith at the right moment, and maybe a quick cut of Ron or Charlie. Nobody was killing themselves over the screens, and while I'm sure some prerecorded visuals had happened before on a limited basis, I'd never seen them myself.

The stage was usually completely basic. The spice was just the lighting. Elton would have a crazy piano and outfit but that was it. The Stones had giant, giant blow-up dolls swaying in the breeze. Those were notable because everyone else had a bare stage (like Live Aid).

And then Zoo TV was out of this world. The whole stage, never anything like it. The screens showed messages and film cuts and LIVE TV. Insane. Things happened on stage even before our boys hit it, and there was never a dead moment. There were video confessionals! Multiple characters and costume changes! Phone calls from the stage!

If they had just done ONE of those, and at only 50%, it would have advanced the whole concert industry. But it was like they reinvented the concert entirely and advanced it by 50 years all in one fell swoop.

I wish I could tell you I remember every minute but I was just stunned. I remember bits and pieces. The words during The Fly, single words flashed on the screen almost too fast to read. The Mirrorball Man was blinding in the spotlight. Champagne on stage?? So many crazy things. All these years later it would still blow the industry away.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2018, 03:11:17 PM »
Theyíre starting to get really heavy on the 90s material. Stay, wild horses, Acrobat, zoo station, one, even better. And just today, they rehearsed The Fly for tonightís show. Last year on TJT 2017, they gave us Ultraviolet and occasionally mysterious ways. Are they giving us the AB songs now because they know they donít want an achtung tour? I think so

An Achtung Baby Tour or ZOO TV tour in 2021/2022 was and is very unlikely. The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 was a rare one off for the band. It was easy to do because 1987 tour was all about the album. The ZOO TV tour was about the Achtung Baby album but also a bit more. It was about the future and the recent impact of cable TV over the previous 8 to 10 years. How would you do a retro tour of that? Would the tour being in 2021 or 2022?

Then how many people would actually attend such an event. The Joshua Tree Tour did well, but there were many shows that sold less tickets in the United States than on the 360 tour for the No Line On The Horizon album and, no it wasn't because of the different staging either. Lets be honest, a ZOO TV Tour in 2022 would be less popular than the Joshua Tree tour of 2017.

But the most important thing is that U2 is still a band that cares most about its next new album and new tour. They are a band of the present and the future. They would rather do a new album and new tour in the 2021/2022 time frame than do a retro tour of ZOO TV and I think that's a good thing.

The themes of technology-induced sensory overload and political uncertainty resonate as well now as they did then, if not more so. Swapping in the internet for cable TV, infinite channels for 500, is no problem at all.
The other day I saw an installation of a video art piece from 1987 titled Total Recall, which if it wasnít used by the band and crew as a source of inspiration would make for a rather large coincidence. What struck me when I went back to watch the opening bits of ZOO TV was that while the concerns and overall technique were the same (audiovisual bombardment across out-of-sync television screens) the media used to tell the story had radically changed from how much the world had shifted in the intervening years.
Point being, the concerns that  motivated ZOO TV are quite persistent and adapt well to changing times.

Well that is an interesting take on things. If they found a way to update it for 2022 that seemed relevant and out of this world like the tour was in 1992/1993, it would have a better chance of working. But that would take a lot more work and energy than the Joshua Tree tour 2017 did.

I think that diminished sales of TJT30 relative to 360 were partially due to audience fatigue from having hit so many of those cities with I+E. However, while the hits from AB are as massive as those from JT, I do think that for a casual audience JT as an album and an idea has more resonance, so I think in terms of tour popularity it could go either way.

I think the new album concerns are what would win out - I donít think they want to plan a repeat of this overloaded schedule or delay the new album to accommodate an anniversary tour. (Whether they might use the tour to excuse a delay of the album is a different story.) Iím just someone who was born right after ZOO TV ended and would very much love to get a chance to see a reborn version of it .P

The I&E tour only visited 7 U.S. cities which is TINY for a U.S. tour for a new album, the smallest number of cities U2 has ever visited in the United States promoting a new album. So the 2015 tour of 7 U.S. cities did not hurt the response to the Joshua Tree Tour 2017 two years later. The 7 U.S. cities that got shows on the I&E tour were Boston, New York City, Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Phoenix and Denver.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2018, 02:09:09 PM »
Actually, sarcasm.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2018, 03:20:43 PM »
Actually, sarcasm.

I know it, just didn't want to be rude.