Author Topic: Is the sound of concerts too loud?  (Read 559 times)

Offline Mark_Qiu

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Is the sound of concerts too loud?
« on: October 05, 2018, 08:16:56 AM »
I went to the ei Tour in Hamburg on Oct 3rd. I was siting on the 9th line counting from the standing area, right in front of the giant screen. The sound of the concert was to me however sort of too loud, especially the high frequency, which sounded like a huge amount of metal pieces breaking and tearing massively. It was so loud, that the tones of Edgeís guitar and Bonoís vocal were even out of shape, not as beautiful as when they are played in an appropriate loudness. Also, I couldnít hear as clear each part of the band as I could when I listen with my headphone. And the loudness is definitely hearing ability damaging. Every time Edge plays a high note, it feels like a giant knife flying out shearing the audience from the PA. To my surprise the band was acting as if it was all alright, and Edge was jumping and dancing like he was having a good time. Itís hard for me to imagine how the band members could enjoy it when there are like 20 stereos above their heads making exploding sound.

Iíve been a U2 fan since 16-year-old and itís been 6 years. Since I came from China, I never expected to see them unless I go abroad. And now Iím a lucky b****** here in Germany and finally made it to see them. The whole concert was magnificent, brilliant and mad, they played many Achtung Baby songs to dedicate to the Germany Reunion Day, including Zoo Station which is my favorite song. It was dream coming true there, except for one thing, the loudness, or more precisely, the sound effect of the concert...

According to the Equal-Loudness-Contours, people get more sensitive to sound between 1kHz to 5kHz as the sound gets louder from 60dB, that means the audio technician should cut down the high frequency more than other frequencies in a loud concert. Apparently the audio technician didnít do a great job that night. I only came across these problems in small livehouses in my hometown, didnít know it occurs as well in world top rock band live performances... I was expecting a loud, yet clear, comfortable and beautiful sound effect there at U2 concert. Honestly I gotta say, about the sound effect, I am truely disappointed... Whatís going on? Was it an accident at Hamburg that night, or it was originally supposed to be that? I really donít think it is good work from the audio technician who works for the world top class band.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Offline Tortuga

• Refugee
Re: Is the sound of concerts too loud?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 10:48:27 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I went to the ei Tour in Hamburg on Oct 3rd. I was siting on the 9th line counting from the standing area, right in front of the giant screen. The sound of the concert was to me however sort of too loud, especially the high frequency, which sounded like a huge amount of metal pieces breaking and tearing massively. It was so loud, that the tones of Edgeís guitar and Bonoís vocal were even out of shape, not as beautiful as when they are played in an appropriate loudness. Also, I couldnít hear as clear each part of the band as I could when I listen with my headphone. And the loudness is definitely hearing ability damaging. Every time Edge plays a high note, it feels like a giant knife flying out shearing the audience from the PA. To my surprise the band was acting as if it was all alright, and Edge was jumping and dancing like he was having a good time. Itís hard for me to imagine how the band members could enjoy it when there are like 20 stereos above their heads making exploding sound.

Iíve been a U2 fan since 16-year-old and itís been 6 years. Since I came from China, I never expected to see them unless I go abroad. And now Iím a lucky b****** here in Germany and finally made it to see them. The whole concert was magnificent, brilliant and mad, they played many Achtung Baby songs to dedicate to the Germany Reunion Day, including Zoo Station which is my favorite song. It was dream coming true there, except for one thing, the loudness, or more precisely, the sound effect of the concert...

According to the Equal-Loudness-Contours, people get more sensitive to sound between 1kHz to 5kHz as the sound gets louder from 60dB, that means the audio technician should cut down the high frequency more than other frequencies in a loud concert. Apparently the audio technician didnít do a great job that night. I only came across these problems in small livehouses in my hometown, didnít know it occurs as well in world top rock band live performances... I was expecting a loud, yet clear, comfortable and beautiful sound effect there at U2 concert. Honestly I gotta say, about the sound effect, I am truely disappointed... Whatís going on? Was it an accident at Hamburg that night, or it was originally supposed to be that? I really donít think it is good work from the audio technician who works for the world top class band.

YES!  The sound was absolutely ear crushing at my show to the point that it was totally distorted.  Watching that video of Dallas talking about how ďthis guitaristĒ has to re-create his sounds authentically on tour was so ridiculous.  The sound at my show was so bad I could barely tell what song it was.  Honestly, I walked out feeling ripped off because of the sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 11:09:29 AM »
No & i was @ ACDC in Wembley in 2015 now that was loud my esrs were ringing for days never had that from any of the last 3 U2 tours

Offline hollywoodswag

• Stateless
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 04:45:32 PM »
I've had a similar complaint. I was about six people or so back from the B-stage in Tampa at TJT30 and just one person back from the B-stage in DC on this tour, and the sound was so unbelievably loud that most songs sounded like a distorted mess. Not every song was brutal (Vertigo was absolutely spectacular, especially on this tour), but at times like the chorus of The Blackout, it was impossible to distinguish anything.

One recommendation I got here was to use musician's earplugs, which I'll probably do in the future, but I feel like a slight reduction in volume would make the songs much clearer without sacrificing the intensity a good rock concert should have. It's made me tempted to stay towards the back at future shows as a backup in case that helps a bit.

Offline may2

• Wanderer
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 06:10:10 PM »
I think all concerts are louder than they need be.

Offline Marvinho

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 12:23:25 AM »
The Joshua Tree at Twickenham was so loud I could feel the stadium shaking. Insanely loud. A few folk in the hotel we stayed at afterwards made the same comments.

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 06:54:42 AM »
I went to see a u2 tribute act, playing to about 100 people in a small venue (capacity about 1100). It was SOOOOO loud it was hurting my ears. The following night, I saw The Rolling Stones, in Murrayfield Stadium, in front of about 60 000 people. The volume was much more bareable

Some of the worst sounding gigs i been to..were u2 gigs! #JustSayin

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 01:47:28 PM »
Yes.

Online wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 05:51:47 PM »
When ever you go to a bar, nightclub, and yes definitely a concert, you should have ear plugs with you, preferably musicians ear plugs. I started wearing ear plugs around 2003-2004 to bars, night clubs, and concerts. I got my musicians ear plugs in 2005 and have used them ever since. It improves the sound for you. The band, crew, and venue staff are all wearing hearing protection. You should be as well. Its a rock concert. ROCK CONCERTS ARE LOUD! If you think its louder now or more distorted than it was 5, 10, 15, or 20 years ago, its probably your Ears or hearing issues you might have developed over time rather than the sound mix or sound level. Get your hearing checked with the ear doctor and get them to order you a pair of musicians ear plugs. The ear plugs will be specially designed for your ears. They make mold cast of both your ears and develop your ear plugs based on that. They are a great fit and you can use them for decades.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 06:05:28 PM by wons »

Online wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 05:58:16 PM »

YES!  The sound was absolutely ear crushing at my show to the point that it was totally distorted.  Watching that video of Dallas talking about how ďthis guitaristĒ has to re-create his sounds authentically on tour was so ridiculous.  The sound at my show was so bad I could barely tell what song it was.  Honestly, I walked out feeling ripped off because of the sound.

Damn, you never miss a chance to sh** on the band. I suggest getting your hearing checked out and next time wear proper hearing protection like the band, crew, venue staff and informed fans. I started wearing hearing protection in 2003 to bars, nightclubs and all concerts. I wish I started doing that 10 years earlier. Once you feel and hear the value of a good pair of musicians ear plugs, you will never leave home without them.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 06:13:16 PM »
Iíve worn ear plugs since the 90s try Hearos

Offline Tortuga

• Refugee
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 06:43:53 PM »

Damn, you never miss a chance to sh** on the band. I suggest getting your hearing checked out and next time wear proper hearing protection like the band, crew, venue staff and informed fans. I started wearing hearing protection in 2003 to bars, nightclubs and all concerts. I wish I started doing that 10 years earlier. Once you feel and hear the value of a good pair of musicians ear plugs, you will never leave home without them.

I always wear earplugs.  And I suggest you look at all my posts, including the ones where I admire the band or disagree with other criticism.

Offline ME2

• Wanderer
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 01:42:50 PM »
Nearly every concert Iíve been to has been to loud.  Not all though.  Iíve even had my ears ring after Ďacousticí shows.  Obviously not truly acoustic.   Too many concerts and too much exposure to racing especially Formula One has left me with a 30% loss of high frequency hearing.  It ainít coming back.  So take precautions at concerts.  The damage is cumulative.

Offline UnknownCaller98

• Numb
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2018, 03:51:05 PM »
I must say the worst sounding concerts I've seen have been U2. The worst being at the O2 in 2015. Twickenham was bad for the first few songs as well. I wouldn't necessarily say it was too loud. The loudest shows I've seen are in very small venues and my ears ring for about 2 days. Any other band has been fine- but I have found that quieter music (especially Paul Weller with orchestra last Friday at the Royal Festival Hall) gives better sound quality.

Online Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #14 on: Today at 08:58:47 AM »
I can't talk about U2 gigs as I've never been to any but from other gigs I've attended over the years I've found nearly all of them far too loud! Ever since I permanently damaged my hearing after a Suede gig in the 90's I wear wax earplugs to every gig. It makes the world of difference, believe me and, for me, they're a necessity as I don't want to lose what hearing I have left, lol!