Author Topic: Should we sit down during the show?  (Read 1727 times)

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
Re: Should we sit down during the show?
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2018, 04:51:02 PM »
Good attitude, Golden State Girl!

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2018, 06:34:50 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hi, me and my wife was at both the Amsterdam concerts. As I am sick of queuing (because people do not sit their asses down anymore when queuing, they go to a bar), we got great seating tickets for both shows. On the second show, as soon as they entered the stage and Blackout came on, we stood up and started singing along. After just a few minutes, the girl behind my wife told her to sit down. I was completely surprised, and I have never experienced that before (I've been to over 40 U2 concerts). I turned around and told her (friendly, mind you), that "this is a U2 concert". When IWF came on, several peopel stood up, though. After quite a few songs, the girl to the left of me, that I did not know, and who was also standing, was told by the woman behind her to sit her ass down. I turned around and told that woman (now I was a bit annoyed, as they had kept hinting all the time) that "she can stand as much as she wants, this is a rock concert". The woman told me, "yes, but your place is down", and I just repeated "this is a f****** rock concert". We all continued to stand, and after the show I told the girl to the left of me that I was sorry about the people behind us, and that I hope she still enjoyed the show. She did. :) I was also surprised at how many at the first concert that was just sitting down.

Now... I am wondering. I am in the wrong here? I have been to many concerts, mostly with GA tickets, but also quite a lot of seating tickets, and this never happened before. And usually, when in Amsterdam, especially, I have exerienced a fantastic crowd, all standing up as U2 pumps out those great songs, jumping and singing along.

So; are we really supposed to sit when we have seating tickets?
Or are fans of U2 now so old that they need to sit?
WTF is going on? Help me here.

I hear you and if you go several pages back either in this section or the main section of the forum, you'll see a thread titled a message to all U2 fans. When you click on it, the first thing I say is STAND UP. Yes, in Philadelphia Pennsylvania and Washington D.C., the entire upper level sections were sitting down which was a SHOCK! I had never seen this before at a U2 concert and I'm sure the band are disappointed.

I don't know what explains this suddent turn around, except the fan base is aging, overweight and obese, which makes many fans desire to take a seat. The band are in far better shape than their average fans who on average are 10 years younger.

People think U2 will get too old and stop. That won't be the case. What is ironic is that the fanbase is aging faster than the band and if the band stops it may be because their fans got too old and out of shape.

Offline Northern Powerhouse

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2018, 05:42:32 AM »

I don't know what explains this suddent turn around, except the fan base is aging, overweight and obese, which makes many fans desire to take a seat. The band are in far better shape than their average fans who on average are 10 years younger.

Just for the record, I ran a half marathon last weekend and I fully intend to stand up right through the band's first night in Manchester!

Perhaps I should check that's it OK with the people behind me first though  ;)

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2018, 03:17:42 PM »
Perhaps they should have a small seated section where the understanding is that everyone in that section will sit?

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2018, 05:58:41 AM »
Courtesy helps.
Where I was sat last night, we all asked around if people were planning on sitting or standing beforehand.  We all said we were standing, which we did for the entire 2 1/4 hours.
There was one section from the row in front and down a bit that sat towards the end of the show (during One) - but they were all standing at the beginning and through much of the show.  I guess they were flagging a bit.  Some people behind me left early (maybe for transport reasons - because they were into the show earlier on).

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2018, 06:31:16 AM »
Bit of both in Block 215 last night we stood for some then sat for some no 1 had any problems its why i hate GA go too loo get drinks come back too same spot.

Security @ the entrance was amazing the q was long but moving @ all times plenty of search gates was well happy the loos when we got there were very clean everything was run very good great Arena enjoy the show everyome tonight.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2018, 08:16:40 AM »
Bit of both in Block 215 last night we stood for some then sat for some no 1 had any problems its why i hate GA go too loo get drinks come back too same spot.

Security @ the entrance was amazing the q was long but moving @ all times plenty of search gates was well happy the loos when we got there were very clean everything was run very good great Arena enjoy the show everyome tonight.

Why would you sit down at a rock concert? Also in general admission, the ability to move around is an advantage over the stiff static position you are forced to maintain in the seats. Its also much healthier for your body.

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2018, 10:12:56 AM »
Each too there own

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2018, 03:06:29 AM »
Theirs plenty of reasons two stand. I can't of thought of them all.

Offline mullagh

• Babyface
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2018, 05:42:27 PM »
Hi folks,

Okay I have just come from the Monday gig in the Point - in Dublin - (ie the 3arena) and i was in the J section and literally 4 rows from the very back of the arena. I stood up and danced for a number of songs and a bouncer (I say "bouncer" - he was a feckin child) told me to sit down. And the people behind me asked me to sit down.. There were about three songs in the entire gig that people were allowed stand up for. otherwise it's a sit down show. It's a f****** rock show for f*** sake not a f****** opera. Sorry for the language but this is what it is . Disgrace   

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2018, 06:39:24 PM »
A F---ING BOUNCER ASKED YOU TO F---ING SIT DOWN??

I'm ready to brawl. Let me at him.

Offline trainfanjacob8

• Babyface
  • Worst things in the world are justified by belief
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2018, 06:04:02 PM »
I as well have noticed people seem to be sitting way more this tour than in past tours. During I&E in Toronto, my section stood for the entire show, with lots of people even standing during the intermission.  During E&I in Montreal, people sat for nearly half the show.  I originally thought that it was due to the aging fanbase, but I find it hard to believe that the fanbase has aged that much in three years.  Maybe over saturation of the markets are to blame? 
[/size]
[/size]I stood in Montreal when everyone else was sitting at times.  I probably shouldn't have blocked people's view behind me, but nobody said anything to me.  But at the same time, it's a concert, so why should people be upset when people are standing?

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2018, 09:41:44 PM »
I as well have noticed people seem to be sitting way more this tour than in past tours. During I&E in Toronto, my section stood for the entire show, with lots of people even standing during the intermission.  During E&I in Montreal, people sat for nearly half the show.  I originally thought that it was due to the aging fanbase, but I find it hard to believe that the fanbase has aged that much in three years.  Maybe over saturation of the markets are to blame? 
[/size]
[/size]I stood in Montreal when everyone else was sitting at times.  I probably shouldn't have blocked people's view behind me, but nobody said anything to me.  But at the same time, it's a concert, so why should people be upset when people are standing?

Or perhaps many wanted to sit on I&E, but stood because everyone else was standing. Then a bunch of people give up standing and start sitting on E&I and it turns into a mob. So maybe the age thing/out of shape thing, is happening, but it took a little bit for it to turn into something significant.

I'm glad I have paid up membership and I'm able to secure General Admission on the floor for each show I go to so I don't have to fight with a mob of people telling you to sit down during a rock concert.

With this problem now, imagine what it may be like in 2022. It would be odd to see an arena or stadium filled with all the people sitting during Where The Streets Have No Name. People keep on talking about U2 members, retirement and the age of U2. U2 is not aging at all really. Its the fans that seem to be having the problems.

Offline trainfanjacob8

• Babyface
  • Worst things in the world are justified by belief
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2018, 06:00:13 AM »

I'm glad I have paid up membership and I'm able to secure General Admission on the floor for each show I go to so I don't have to fight with a mob of people telling you to sit down during a rock concert.

Good point.  I'm going to attempt to get GA next time, because I prefer to stand at U2 concerts.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 06:01:46 AM by trainfanjacob8 »

Offline Tortuga

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2018, 02:48:01 PM »
As for age, maybe its a factor but Ive preferred to sit since High School.  Yeah, I know its a rock show.  But to each his own.  Standing is just not something that has ever been meaningful to me to enjoy a rock concert.

Now days its a bummer for my wife who can barely see when seated by looking between people but cant see at all when everyone is standing.  That is a problem for short-legged people that you should try to be considerate of.  Not so much a problem at big arena where there is a high slope but it can be at smaller venues with less slope.

With regard to the age debate....

I recently went to one of the Simple Minds shows.  The average age looked considerably older than U2s.  At least 90 to 95% of the audience stood the entire nearly 3 hour double set show.  Nobody left early.

But I will also tell you, Jim Kerr worked it hard.  This tour there is less energy coming from Bono and the setlist was made up of less mass appeal/popular songs.  I really believe that is the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk