Author Topic: Should we sit down during the show?  (Read 1726 times)

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
Re: Should we sit down during the show?
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2018, 04:32:54 PM »
I saw Simple Minds, too, and they were awesome.  Jim Kerr really rocks the house.  However, I have never sat at a U2 show and I refuse to do so.  Why even go if you're just sitting?  I don't get it.

Offline Tortuga

• Headache in a Suitcase
Should we sit down during the show?
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2018, 05:34:44 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I saw Simple Minds, too, and they were awesome.  Jim Kerr really rocks the house.  However, I have never sat at a U2 show and I refuse to do so.  Why even go if you're just sitting?  I don't get it.
That is a difficult thing for me to answer...why something that is meaningful to you is not meaningful to me.

Do you stand up all the way through a baseball game?  Why do people even go if they arenít?  Do people stand at the opera or a symphony?  Why do they even bother going?  The reason I go is because I find it entertaining.  Iím more comfortable sitting down so I prefer to be entertained seated.  Most of the show is not emotionally moving or exciting enough to cause me to want stand up.  But it is entertaining.  I enjoy going probably for the same reason you enjoy going to things you donít stand up at.  Do the emotions and energy always have to be cranked to 11 for you to enjoy something?

For me music is more a mental stimulation than an emotional one.  So I really can only answer the question by speculating that your brain is moved in a different way than mine.

Also, as I said, it is generally impossible for my wife to see when everyone is standing so we usually try to move up higher (and unfortunately, further) where she can see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 05:37:55 PM by Tortuga »

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2018, 05:39:28 PM »
For me music is more a mental stimulation than an emotional one.  So I really can only answer the question by speculating that your brain is moved in a different way than mine.

Yup, that's the difference.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2018, 06:39:44 PM »
As for age, maybe its a factor but Iíve preferred to sit since High School.  Yeah, I know its a rock show.  But to each his own.  Standing is just not something that has ever been meaningful to me to enjoy a rock concert.

Now days its a bummer for my wife who can barely see when seated by looking between people but canít see at all when everyone is standing.  That is a problem for short-legged people that you should try to be considerate of.  Not so much a problem at big arena where there is a high slope but it can be at smaller venues with less slope.

With regard to the age debate....

I recently went to one of the Simple Minds shows.  The average age looked considerably older than U2ís.  At least 90 to 95% of the audience stood the entire nearly 3 hour double set show.  Nobody left early.

But I will also tell you, Jim Kerr worked it hard.  This tour there is less energy coming from Bono and the setlist was made up of less mass appeal/popular songs.  I really believe that is the difference.

Question, where was the Simple Minds show at, what venue?

Offline Tortuga

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2018, 06:40:46 PM »
As for age, maybe its a factor but Iíve preferred to sit since High School.  Yeah, I know its a rock show.  But to each his own.  Standing is just not something that has ever been meaningful to me to enjoy a rock concert.

Now days its a bummer for my wife who can barely see when seated by looking between people but canít see at all when everyone is standing.  That is a problem for short-legged people that you should try to be considerate of.  Not so much a problem at big arena where there is a high slope but it can be at smaller venues with less slope.

I recently went to one of the Simple Minds shows.  The average age looked considerably older than U2ís.  At least 90 to 95% of the audience stood the entire nearly 3 hour double set show.  Nobody left early.

But I will also tell you, Jim Kerr worked it hard.  This tour there is less energy coming from Bono and the setlist was made up of less mass appeal/popular songs.  I really believe that is the difference.

Dallas

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2018, 03:12:50 AM »
I did GA for my first big act show - u2 360. My feet were hurtin later ! Always seats since then. Better view, i can decide how much i will sit/stand.
 My last show was Milan 4 in e/i. Never stood as much before. Plenty of energy in our section too . But to the right of me i did see an older couple insisting people in front of them sit down.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2018, 07:23:34 AM »

Dallas

Dallas is a city, not a venue. Where did they play in Dallas? What was the date? Was is it in 2018?

Ok, I see it. Was it the November 3rd show at the Toyota Music Factory? I'm assuming it was an indoor show with a max capacity of 4,000 people. Although sometimes weather this time of year can be warm enough for an outdoor show in Dallas, but I would say more often than not, given that the shows are at night, that it was an indoor show.

Simple Minds are playing to a very small number of really dedicated fans. Plus the configuration of the venue means that if the first rows near the stage are standing up, then each successive row after that has to stand up in order to see. The dynamic in the arena is much different as your dealing with nearly 20,000 people and multiple levels of seating configured in different sections. So its not a good comparison.

Looking at their past success in the United States they likely played in the 2,500 capacity set up. Simple Minds has not had any notable success in the United States since 1985/1986. The album they released in 1985, plus the #1 hit they had with the soundtrack were really it. They never went platinum with any of their albums. They did achieve one gold album with the 1985 release. A much bigger name than their sales would suggest.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 07:56:29 AM by wons »

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2018, 07:32:50 AM »
I did GA for my first big act show - u2 360. My feet were hurtin later ! Always seats since then. Better view, i can decide how much i will sit/stand.
 My last show was Milan 4 in e/i. Never stood as much before. Plenty of energy in our section too . But to the right of me i did see an older couple insisting people in front of them sit down.

Its important to dance and move around when you are in general admission. Just small movements make a difference. Keeps your body loose and you'll be less likely to feel any pain or problems in your legs or back. Plus, it helps to be in good physical shape. Anyone that can blast through a full hour of running or other cardio at the gym or outside will have no problem being on their feet for several hours at a concert.

As for me, I spend a lot of the concert dancing, jumping up and down and other things. Its very rare that I'm just standing still at any point during the show. That keeps the blood flowing through the body which is good for you and will help reduce or prevent many pain issues or soreness issues.

Offline Tortuga

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2018, 08:16:24 AM »

Dallas

Dallas is a city, not a venue. Where did they play in Dallas? What was the date? Was is it in 2018?

Ok, I see it. Was it the November 3rd show at the Toyota Music Factory? I'm assuming it was an indoor show with a max capacity of 4,000 people. Although sometimes weather this time of year can be warm enough for an outdoor show in Dallas, but I would say more often than not, given that the shows are at night, that it was an indoor show.

Simple Minds are playing to a very small number of really dedicated fans. Plus the configuration of the venue means that if the first rows near the stage are standing up, then each successive row after that has to stand up in order to see. The dynamic in the arena is much different as your dealing with nearly 20,000 people and multiple levels of seating configured in different sections. So its not a good comparison.

Looking at their past success in the United States they likely played in the 2,500 capacity set up. Simple Minds has not had any notable success in the United States since 1985/1986. The album they released in 1985, plus the #1 hit they had with the soundtrack were really it. They never went platinum with any of their albums. They did achieve one gold album with the 1985 release. A much bigger name than their sales would suggest.

Whatever.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2018, 08:16:43 PM »
I saw Simple Minds in Detroit.  The audience was extremely enthusiastic, and Jim Kerr gave it everything he had.
   I think you're right, Tortuga, I probably approach a concert in a more emotional way.  I tend to go with high expectations and really let go, surrender, dance and have a great time.  It' s cool you like to sit.  Maybe there should be a seated area?

Offline Tortuga

• Headache in a Suitcase
Should we sit down during the show?
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2018, 05:53:40 AM »
I saw Simple Minds in Detroit.  The audience was extremely enthusiastic, and Jim Kerr gave it everything he had.
   I think you're right, Tortuga, I probably approach a concert in a more emotional way.  I tend to go with high expectations and really let go, surrender, dance and have a great time.  It' s cool you like to sit.  Maybe there should be a seated area?

Well, not to be cute about it but there is a seated area.  You buy a seat or you buy a SRO ticket.

I think its just one of those things you have to be flexible about.  If youíre one of a few standing up you really should probably take a cue from the greater society around you.  If youíre seated but most everyone around you is standing then you should accept that most people want to stand so if you want to see youíre going to have to stand too.

I would just say in any case, if youíre standing try to be considerate of who is behind you, if they are short maybe give them a break during the ballads.  And try to stay centered on your seat to preserve their line of sight around you.  For short people, especially people with shorter than average legs, it is impossible to see over heads when weíre all standing.  Try to think about how you would like to be at a show and only see the backs of the people in front of you for two hours.

But yes for certain acts you expect alot of standing.  It just goes with the territory.  But to go to a show like Norah Jones and have someone in front of you that thinks theyíre at Kool and the Gang is annoying.  And to be honest, to have people on this forum chastising people for not standing is annoying.  If Iím seated Iím not imposing on anyone who wants to stand.  And this idea that U2 needs me to stand is just silly.  I just paid $250 for a seat.  Iím pretty sure theyíre good with me using it or ignoring it.

This is like most any other etiquette issue.  Take your cues from the rest of the audience around you.  If youíre about the only one standing expect to be asked to sit or better yet just sit or turn around and ask if the person behind you is okay with it.   If most people are rocking out then stand up and rock out with them and then go home and get a good nightís sleep.  Living in a civil society is all about compromise.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 06:11:43 AM by Tortuga »

Offline Travis Henderson

• Babyface
  • What am I to do? What in the world am I to say?
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2018, 10:24:18 AM »
I used to like to sit. Haven't been to a concert in decades.  $250 for a ticket?  Jiminy Cricket, time has surely passed me by.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 10:27:03 AM by Travis Henderson »

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2018, 01:00:09 PM »

Well, not to be cute about it but there is a seated area.  You buy a seat or you buy a SRO ticket.

And to be honest, to have people on this forum chastising people for not standing is annoying.  If Iím seated Iím not imposing on anyone who wants to stand.  And this idea that U2 needs me to stand is just silly.  I just paid $250 for a seat.  Iím pretty sure theyíre good with me using it or ignoring it.

If your ill or have a disability that is one thing, but if your healthy, its sign of respect for the band to stand, dance, cheer, sing, clap etc. Have you not ever seen U2's video for RED ROCKS in 1983? That's a U2 crowd! U2 is known for the response their music brings from the crowd. That's how they got the Super Bowl spot in 2002. Janet Jackson actually had the slot, but members of the committee that made that decision went to a U2 concert in 2001 and saw the response of the crowd there and were blown away. They pushed Janet Jackson out of the slot and signed up U2. The crowds response to the music is not insignificant as you so ignorantly claim. It impacts the band as the band have clearly stated before and impacts the atmosphere in the entire venue.

So yes, I say get off your lazy ass and stand up and show some respect. Its good for you to. Sitting for several hours in one spot is not good for you. Those on the 2nd level at these shows should have been standing and I'll call that out every time I see it. Unless your ill or disabled get off your ass!

Oh and if I'm ever not in GA, I'm not sitting down for anyone unless that are ill or disabled. Its a concert, standing and dancing at it is normal. Sitting like a statue is not. So stand up and move your body. Your heart and your circulatory system will thank you!

This is not a nursing home, a church, or a Bingo Hall, its a ROCK CONCERT!

Finally, in the seated area each row is about a foot higher than the next. So in order to block someone who is only 5 foot 1, the person in front of them would have to be 6 foot 1. Over 90% of U2 fans are under 6 foot 1, so most under average height females will be able to see in the non-GA areas of the venue.

Also, a little secret about the floor at least in the arenas. At the very back of the arena floor, you can actually sit and see the band on the main stage at the other end of the floor despite the fact that everyone on the floor is standing. The reason is that the crowd standing pushes more up to the front leaving gaps at the back which are enough for a person sitting on the floor at the very back against the wall to have a clear line of site to the band on the main stages. Given that, no matter how small you are, you can find a place in the arena where you can stand and see the show clearly.

Another option is to put your smaller female friend on your shoulders if by chance she still can't see above a standing crowd in the non-GA section.   
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 01:08:09 PM by wons »

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2018, 01:23:50 PM »
Congratulations, Wons, you've converted me to Tortuga's side on this.

Offline Tortuga

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2018, 01:29:13 PM »

And to be honest, to have people on this forum chastising people for not standing is annoying.  If Iím seated Iím not imposing on anyone who wants to stand.  And this idea that U2 needs me to stand is just silly.  I just paid $250 for a seat.  Iím pretty sure theyíre good with me using it or ignoring it.

If your ill or have a disability that is one thing, but if your healthy, its sign of respect for the band to stand, dance, cheer, sing, clap etc. Have you not ever seen U2's video for RED ROCKS in 1983? That's a U2 crowd! U2 is known for the response their music brings from the crowd. That's how they got the Super Bowl spot in 2002. Janet Jackson actually had the slot, but members of the committee that made that decision went to a U2 concert in 2001 and saw the response of the crowd there and were blown away. They pushed Janet Jackson out of the slot and signed up U2. The crowds response to the music is not insignificant as you so ignorantly claim. It impacts the band as the band have clearly stated before and impacts the atmosphere in the entire venue.

So yes, I say get off your lazy ass and stand up and show some respect. Its good for you to. Sitting for several hours in one spot is not good for you. Those on the 2nd level at these shows should have been standing and I'll call that out every time I see it. Unless your ill or disabled get off your ass!

Oh and if I'm ever not in GA, I'm not sitting down for anyone unless that are ill or disabled. Its a concert, standing and dancing at it is normal. Sitting like a statue is not. So stand up and move your body. Your heart and your circulatory system will thank you!

This is not a nursing home, a church, or a Bingo Hall, its a ROCK CONCERT!

Finally, in the seated area each row is about a foot higher than the next. So in order to block someone who is only 5 foot 1, the person in front of them would have to be 6 foot 1. Over 90% of U2 fans are under 6 foot 1, so most under average height females will be able to see in the non-GA areas of the venue.

Also, a little secret about the floor at least in the arenas. At the very back of the arena floor, you can actually sit and see the band on the main stage at the other end of the floor despite the fact that everyone on the floor is standing. The reason is that the crowd standing pushes more up to the front leaving gaps at the back which are enough for a person sitting on the floor at the very back against the wall to have a clear line of site to the band on the main stages. Given that, no matter how small you are, you can find a place in the arena where you can stand and see the show clearly.

Another option is to put your smaller female friend on your shoulders if by chance she still can't see above a standing crowd in the non-GA section.   

I started to reply to this but it sounded so ridiculous I had to backspace and leave it at this.