Author Topic: Should we sit down during the show?  (Read 2168 times)

Offline wons

• Numb
Re: Should we sit down during the show?
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2018, 02:00:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Congratulations, Wons, you've converted me to Tortuga's side on this.

I don't know why? The above post is basically a restatement of what I have said before. I suggest you stand up at your next U2 concert. Don't join the disrespectful sit down club. Show some spirit and appreciation for the band. Contribute to the atmosphere of a U2 concert!

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2018, 02:18:24 PM »
I saw Simple Minds in Detroit.  The audience was extremely enthusiastic, and Jim Kerr gave it everything he had.
   I think you're right, Tortuga, I probably approach a concert in a more emotional way.  I tend to go with high expectations and really let go, surrender, dance and have a great time.  It' s cool you like to sit.  Maybe there should be a seated area?

Well, not to be cute about it but there is a seated area.  You buy a seat or you buy a SRO ticket.

And to be honest, to have people on this forum chastising people for not standing is annoying.  If Iím seated Iím not imposing on anyone who wants to stand.  And this idea that U2 needs me to stand is just silly.  I just paid $250 for a seat.  Iím pretty sure theyíre good with me using it or ignoring it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your ill or have a disability that is one thing, but if your healthy, its sign of respect for the band to stand, dance, cheer, sing, clap etc. Have you not ever seen U2's video for RED ROCKS in 1983? That's a U2 crowd! U2 is known for the response their music brings from the crowd. That's how they got the Super Bowl spot in 2002. Janet Jackson actually had the slot, but members of the committee that made that decision went to a U2 concert in 2001 and saw the response of the crowd there and were blown away. They pushed Janet Jackson out of the slot and signed up U2. The crowds response to the music is not insignificant as you so ignorantly claim. It impacts the band as the band have clearly stated before and impacts the atmosphere in the entire venue.

So yes, I say get off your lazy ass and stand up and show some respect. Its good for you to. Sitting for several hours in one spot is not good for you. Those on the 2nd level at these shows should have been standing and I'll call that out every time I see it. Unless your ill or disabled get off your ass!

Oh and if I'm ever not in GA, I'm not sitting down for anyone unless that are ill or disabled. Its a concert, standing and dancing at it is normal. Sitting like a statue is not. So stand up and move your body. Your heart and your circulatory system will thank you!

This is not a nursing home, a church, or a Bingo Hall, its a ROCK CONCERT!

Finally, in the seated area each row is about a foot higher than the next. So in order to block someone who is only 5 foot 1, the person in front of them would have to be 6 foot 1. Over 90% of U2 fans are under 6 foot 1, so most under average height females will be able to see in the non-GA areas of the venue.

Also, a little secret about the floor at least in the arenas. At the very back of the arena floor, you can actually sit and see the band on the main stage at the other end of the floor despite the fact that everyone on the floor is standing. The reason is that the crowd standing pushes more up to the front leaving gaps at the back which are enough for a person sitting on the floor at the very back against the wall to have a clear line of site to the band on the main stages. Given that, no matter how small you are, you can find a place in the arena where you can stand and see the show clearly.

Another option is to put your smaller female friend on your shoulders if by chance she still can't see above a standing crowd in the non-GA section.   

I started to reply to this but it sounded so ridiculous I had to backspace and leave it at this.

Its nothing I haven't said before. I think its disrespectful to the artist to be sitting. U2 likes a responsive crowd. They have said this before. U2 has been typically known to have one of the most responsive crowds in the concert industry. That's not ridiculous, its a fact.

Plus girls sitting on men's shoulders at concerts is common, especially on the floor. A possible solution to your friends problem.

I donít worship U2 or feel the need to stand in respect and I canít carry my wife on my shoulders for two hours.

Yep I was right, it sounds ridiculous.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2018, 05:46:33 PM »
I saw Simple Minds in Detroit.  The audience was extremely enthusiastic, and Jim Kerr gave it everything he had.
   I think you're right, Tortuga, I probably approach a concert in a more emotional way.  I tend to go with high expectations and really let go, surrender, dance and have a great time.  It' s cool you like to sit.  Maybe there should be a seated area?

Well, not to be cute about it but there is a seated area.  You buy a seat or you buy a SRO ticket.

And to be honest, to have people on this forum chastising people for not standing is annoying.  If Iím seated Iím not imposing on anyone who wants to stand.  And this idea that U2 needs me to stand is just silly.  I just paid $250 for a seat.  Iím pretty sure theyíre good with me using it or ignoring it.

If your ill or have a disability that is one thing, but if your healthy, its sign of respect for the band to stand, dance, cheer, sing, clap etc. Have you not ever seen U2's video for RED ROCKS in 1983? That's a U2 crowd! U2 is known for the response their music brings from the crowd. That's how they got the Super Bowl spot in 2002. Janet Jackson actually had the slot, but members of the committee that made that decision went to a U2 concert in 2001 and saw the response of the crowd there and were blown away. They pushed Janet Jackson out of the slot and signed up U2. The crowds response to the music is not insignificant as you so ignorantly claim. It impacts the band as the band have clearly stated before and impacts the atmosphere in the entire venue.

So yes, I say get off your lazy ass and stand up and show some respect. Its good for you to. Sitting for several hours in one spot is not good for you. Those on the 2nd level at these shows should have been standing and I'll call that out every time I see it. Unless your ill or disabled get off your ass!

Oh and if I'm ever not in GA, I'm not sitting down for anyone unless that are ill or disabled. Its a concert, standing and dancing at it is normal. Sitting like a statue is not. So stand up and move your body. Your heart and your circulatory system will thank you!

Finally, in the seated area each row is about a foot higher than the next. So in order to block someone who is only 5 foot 1, the person in front of them would have to be 6 foot 1. Over 90% of U2 fans are under 6 foot 1, so most under average height females will be able to see in the non-GA areas of the venue.

Also, a little secret about the floor at least in the arenas. At the very back of the arena floor, you can actually sit and see the band on the main stage at the other end of the floor despite the fact that everyone on the floor is standing. The reason is that the crowd standing pushes more up to the front leaving gaps at the back which are enough for a person sitting on the floor at the very back against the wall to have a clear line of site to the band on the main stages. Given that, no matter how small you are, you can find a place in the arena where you can stand and see the show clearly.

Another option is to put your smaller female friend on your shoulders if by chance she still can't see above a standing crowd in the non-GA section.   

I started to reply to this but it sounded so ridiculous I had to backspace and leave it at this.

Its nothing I haven't said before. I think its disrespectful to the artist to be sitting. U2 likes a responsive crowd. They have said this before. U2 has been typically known to have one of the most responsive crowds in the concert industry. That's not ridiculous, its a fact.

Plus girls sitting on men's shoulders at concerts is common, especially on the floor. A possible solution to your friends problem.

I donít worship U2 or feel the need to stand in respect and I canít carry my wife on my shoulders for two hours.

So I guess you think U2 concerts are ridiculous? Fans standing the whole show, dancing and jumping up and down. Well guess what, that's normal. Sitting is not.

I thought you would be able to hold your wife on your shoulders for two hours given your description of her as being so tiny that she can't see over the row in front of her, even though the row she is in generally is a foot higher than the row in front or below it. Lots of girls do it. Damn, just look U2's performance of live aid.

I remember a Metallica/Guns N Roses show I went to at R.F.K. Stadium in Washington D.C. back in the summer of 1992. There were hundreds of girls on the floor sitting on men's shoulders. During the intermission between Metallica's performance and Guns N Roses, many of those girls were taking their tops off with the video of it being shown on the stadium screens for at least an hour. Guns N Roses did not start their set until after Mid-night, nearly two hours after Metallica finished theirs.

Anyways, I guess since you would prefer to sit in your seat like a statue for over two hours, standing and holding your wife on your shoulders is a bridge too far, in your mind.

No one should be sitting during the show unless they are ill or disabled.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 05:48:51 PM by wons »

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2018, 06:34:29 PM »

So I guess you think U2 concerts are ridiculous? Fans standing the whole show, dancing and jumping up and down. Well guess what, that's normal. Sitting is not.

I thought you would be able to hold your wife on your shoulders for two hours given your description of her as being so tiny that she can't see over the row in front of her, even though the row she is in generally is a foot higher than the row in front or below it. Lots of girls do it. Damn, just look U2's performance of live aid.

I remember a Metallica/Guns N Roses show I went to at R.F.K. Stadium in Washington D.C. back in the summer of 1992. There were hundreds of girls on the floor sitting on men's shoulders. During the intermission between Metallica's performance and Guns N Roses, many of those girls were taking their tops off with the video of it being shown on the stadium screens for at least an hour. Guns N Roses did not start their set until after Mid-night, nearly two hours after Metallica finished theirs.

Anyways, I guess since you would prefer to sit in your seat like a statue for over two hours, standing and holding your wife on your shoulders is a bridge too far, in your mind.

No, I think one fan trying to tell another fan how they should enjoy a concert is ridiculous.  And very un-U2.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2018, 01:31:24 AM »

No, I think one fan trying to tell another fan how they should enjoy a concert is ridiculous.  And very un-U2.

Sitting unless your disabled or ill is a form of disrespect and very un-U2.

As for the title of this thread, Should we sit down during the show? HELL NO! As BONO would often say on their first tour of America, UP ON YOUR FEET, UP ON YOUR FEET!

Offline 64ac30

• Refugee
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2018, 03:22:26 AM »
Bono shouldnít expect his aging audience to stand if they donít want to. If Iím paying $350 for a seat, I donít see why I canít use it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 03:23:57 AM by 64ac30 »

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
Should we sit down during the show?
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2018, 05:30:30 AM »
Bono shouldnít expect his aging audience to stand if they donít want to. If Iím paying $350 for a seat, I donít see why I canít use it.

Bono tries to get people to stand because its his job to fire people up.  That said, he took a lower key this tour and thatís why people werenít standing as much.  I imagine him reading Wonís posts and saying ďPlease, please, leave me out of this please!Ē

Iíve come to realize there are other issues at play in these threads.   It seems that U2 is not just entertainment and inspiration for Wons.  Its a religion.  Iíve just been flabbergasted because Iíve never met anyone like this before.

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2018, 06:36:06 AM »
Of course you can use your seat but don't expect other people around you to use theirs.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2018, 07:34:22 AM »
In the 16,000 posts in this topic, no one has ever suggested that.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2018, 08:56:24 AM »

Because its disrespectful while the band is playing to be sitting. Bono is older than over 90% of the U2 audience. He doesn't sit down even once for over two hours. He is on the move putting his full energy into the show. If your 10 years younger than Bono and can't stand for two hours(and are not ill or physically disabled) then you need to get a physical and then get to the gym and get in shape.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2018, 09:02:14 AM »

Bono tries to get people to stand because its his job to fire people up.  That said, he took a lower key this tour and thatís why people werenít standing as much.  I imagine him reading Wonís posts and saying ďPlease, please, leave me out of this please!Ē

Iíve come to realize there are other issues at play in these threads.   It seems that U2 is not just entertainment and inspiration for Wons.  Its a religion.  Iíve just been flabbergasted because Iíve never met anyone like this before.

Being respectful to the band does not make them my religion or mean that I worship them. You've been making up that B.S. for a while now. I'm a fan of the band. I generally defend them in a fan forum which this is. Like millions of their fans in the past, I stand and dance at their concerts. Its polite and respectful to do so, just like clapping is. If there is an oddball here, its you, not me.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2018, 09:07:36 AM »

Actually you did when you discussed the problems your wife has when people stand. You could fix that problem by putting your wife on your shoulders, but you nixed that idea.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 09:10:29 AM by wons »

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2018, 09:32:19 AM »

Actually you did when you discussed the problems your wife has when people stand. You could fix that problem by putting your wife on your shoulders, but you nixed that idea.

Adios Wons.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2018, 04:27:45 PM »
Even if the wife is small, I think her being on someone's shoulders would be a problem for the person behind her.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2018, 04:45:05 PM »
Even if the wife is small, I think her being on someone's shoulders would be a problem for the person behind her.

Not to mention that no way am I going to try and pull that off in the tiny space between the rows and seats up high in an arena.  We arenít in our twenties anymore.  Of course the whole thing is ridiculous.