Author Topic: Should we sit down during the show?  (Read 700 times)

Offline ElectricalVoice

• Stateless
Should we sit down during the show?
« on: October 10, 2018, 09:24:49 AM »
Hi, me and my wife was at both the Amsterdam concerts. As I am sick of queuing (because people do not sit their asses down anymore when queuing, they go to a bar), we got great seating tickets for both shows. On the second show, as soon as they entered the stage and Blackout came on, we stood up and started singing along. After just a few minutes, the girl behind my wife told her to sit down. I was completely surprised, and I have never experienced that before (I've been to over 40 U2 concerts). I turned around and told her (friendly, mind you), that "this is a U2 concert". When IWF came on, several peopel stood up, though. After quite a few songs, the girl to the left of me, that I did not know, and who was also standing, was told by the woman behind her to sit her ass down. I turned around and told that woman (now I was a bit annoyed, as they had kept hinting all the time) that "she can stand as much as she wants, this is a rock concert". The woman told me, "yes, but your place is down", and I just repeated "this is a f****** rock concert". We all continued to stand, and after the show I told the girl to the left of me that I was sorry about the people behind us, and that I hope she still enjoyed the show. She did. :) I was also surprised at how many at the first concert that was just sitting down.

Now... I am wondering. I am in the wrong here? I have been to many concerts, mostly with GA tickets, but also quite a lot of seating tickets, and this never happened before. And usually, when in Amsterdam, especially, I have exerienced a fantastic crowd, all standing up as U2 pumps out those great songs, jumping and singing along.

So; are we really supposed to sit when we have seating tickets?
Or are fans of U2 now so old that they need to sit?
WTF is going on? Help me here. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 09:27:29 AM by ElectricalVoice »

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Re: Should we sit down during the show?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 09:41:31 AM »
I hear ya, man. You are not alone in your bewilderment and grief. This is a new era.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 04:43:44 PM »
I stood the whole time and I support your doing so.  Those who wish to sit should probably watch in their living rooms on Periscope.  Do NOT expect the person in front of you to sit for your convenience.  It's a ROCK SHOW not a tea party.

Offline Conor74

• Wanderer
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 02:14:57 AM »
It's a peculiar thing. At I&E in London my whole block was up and dancing for the whole show. On this tour however at Berlin 2 (the one that only lasted 5 songs!) I tried to stand up when Blackout ripped into the arena and everyone else looked at me aghast. Had to sit down again and be content to bounce around in my seat. Annoying!

• Child of Grace
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 07:49:01 PM »
That sucks, Connor.  Thankfully, at my Washington DC show, the lady next to me was nuttier even than I was.  Meaning, no way were we about to sit, and I think we set the tone for our section.

Offline jc619er

• Numb
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 03:13:57 PM »
I had the same exact experience in LA this year. Everyone around me sat down until Beautiful Day came on and then after that they proceeded to sit down again. I was absolutely bewildered. The lady behind me was annoyed that I stood and I didn't care. When did it become the norm to sit. Baffling to me. Even more baffling was the two guys who sat next to me who were clearly die hard uber fans by the conversation they were having about the band before the show and literally never stood once during the concert. This isn't the symphony. Stand all you want and if people get mad that's their fault. Don't come to a party with 20,000 other people and get upset when they're enjoying themselves.

• Child of Grace
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 05:06:04 PM »
Amen to all the above, JC619!

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 06:35:36 PM »
It's why I'm doing GA (knockonwood) next time.

Offline Lebowski

• Refugee
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 08:00:42 PM »
I tend to go with the flow.  99% of the time, I am not going to be the only guy standing up in the section, but if others start standing, I am quickly on my feet.  The other 1% is when it is a song I want to rock out like crazy to and I am standing for it no matter what.  That happens like once every few concerts I go to.

Ultimately, the "sit your ass down" people are nimrods who need to realize it is a rock concert, not a recital.

Offline UnknownCaller98

• Numb
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 02:19:15 AM »
No one has any right whatsoever to demand you sit down at a freaking concert. Ignore them and enjoy the should as it should be enjoyed: standing.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 04:57:36 AM »
I'd rather stand in the back row than sit in the front.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 09:30:28 AM »
I think I'm standing on the penultimate row then?  Hope the people behind me don't mind.  At least there's just one row!

Offline Sevy2016

• Babyface
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2018, 09:52:48 AM »
I got shoved into my seat at Wembley in 2009 for standing, do whatever you like though! They can always stand too.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2018, 10:48:56 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think I'm standing on the penultimate row then?  Hope the people behind me don't mind.  At least there's just one row!

If they do I'd probably switch seats with them then STAND ON MY SEAT IN THE LAST ROW AND GO CRAZY.

Offline GoldenStateGirl

• Stateless
  • As the moon spins around, I need your love
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 01:45:01 PM »
Going wayyyy back to seeing Paul Simon in the early 90s in Oakland, CA, my college friends and I were not only told to "sit down" but we also had our backs clawed at in an effort to force us to sit.  We stood and danced.  At that time I just thought the fans were geezer boomers who did not appreciate the Gen X girls dancing in front of them and blocking their view.

Well stand up then.

I still dance at shows and now I am the geezer.  It may be age or it just may be apathy.  I'll stop dancing when I am dead.