Author Topic: U2 is lazy  (Read 750 times)

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
U2 is lazy
« on: October 11, 2018, 09:27:31 PM »
For those raving about the recent switch up in their setlist, let me kindly point out that they have managed to whittle the setlist down to a mere 21 songs (remember when, in pre-tour interviews, that they would play “longer” sets?). Keep in mind that opening night, in Tulsa, ran 27 songs long; and, that much of the rest of that leg settled at 26, before more firmly settling on 24.

If things change up over these next several weeks, I will happily eat my words; but, to my eyes, they’re being lazy.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Re: U2 is lazy
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 11:06:21 AM »
Hot take.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 10:49:53 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
For those raving about the recent switch up in their setlist, let me kindly point out that they have managed to whittle the setlist down to a mere 21 songs (remember when, in pre-tour interviews, that they would play “longer” sets?). Keep in mind that opening night, in Tulsa, ran 27 songs long; and, that much of the rest of that leg settled at 26, before more firmly settling on 24.

If things change up over these next several weeks, I will happily eat my words; but, to my eyes, they’re being lazy.

I think part of this is them protecting Bono’s vocals but I hear you

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 01:44:44 PM »
Spoilt!

Majority of bands go on tour without ever changing their setlists! Same setlist, every single night for over a year!

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 05:40:22 PM »
Big Tom Petty fan here.  Saw Tom & the Heartbreakers 8 times between 1999 and 2017. 75% of each show was the exact same songs, in the same spots, with the same antics and banter.  Plug in a couple songs from the new album if there was one, and other than that it was the same hits.  And once the tour started, it was very rare that anything would change during the course of that whole tour.  U2 might as well be DMB compared to them!

But I enjoyed each show, and I’m so glad I got to see them one last time shortly before Tom’s death.  WE MISS YOU TOM!!!

Offline ahittle

• Babyface
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 07:21:25 AM »
Yeah, you can hold up bands like Pearl Jam or Bruce or virtuosic band like Phish or something, but most touring bands settle into a comfortable set and stick to it, with a couple change-ups here and there.  Absolutely true about Tom Petty. I was even looking at the Alarm's 2018 setlists - they are touring on a pretty small scale - and those setlists were really static too.

Also I would give U2 the benefit of the doubt about show lengths. Sure there may be some physical limitations there, but I think they are pretty sensitive about creating a nice cohesive show that isn't padded out with extra songs just because they can. Longer doesn't necessarily mean better in all cases.  I've been to plenty of other shows that would've been better if they had been trimmed back to 21-23 songs.

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 11:09:44 PM »
I couldn't agree more about the laziness. It is awful. 3 tours in 4 years or something, only playing some cities 4 nights, unimaginative stage design every tour, not like they have had any health issues to manage and they have only been doing this thing for 40 years. Just not committed to it at all when you think about it. 

Offline GoldenStateGirl

• Stateless
  • As the moon spins around, I need your love
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 01:47:51 PM »
We are definitely spoiled.  They give us such a great life when we all know that they could just phone it in night after night.

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 09:14:22 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yeah, you can hold up bands like Pearl Jam or Bruce or virtuosic band like Phish or something, but most touring bands settle into a comfortable set and stick to it, with a couple change-ups here and there.  Absolutely true about Tom Petty. I was even looking at the Alarm's 2018 setlists - they are touring on a pretty small scale - and those setlists were really static too.

Also I would give U2 the benefit of the doubt about show lengths. Sure there may be some physical limitations there, but I think they are pretty sensitive about creating a nice cohesive show that isn't padded out with extra songs just because they can. Longer doesn't necessarily mean better in all cases.  I've been to plenty of other shows that would've been better if they had been trimmed back to 21-23 songs.

I do agree with your latter point, to a point. Earlier this year, I saw Jack White, for the second time. The first time, his setlist was a few songs longer, yet the second show totally leaned the first one. And, that’s even with my not overly liking his newest album. Still, the flow of songs, the song selection, the performance, all of it combined such where, though it was a shorter show, it was the better of the two that I’ve seen.

Just yesterday, I got lucky w 2 GA tickets to see U2 in Dublin next month. I was already planning on being in Europe by then, but just for an extended vacation in general (I’m in the States), on top of seeing the band Devotchka in Berlin on November 29, and then Paul McCartney in Kraköw on December 3. Long story short, I more than hope to eat my words!