Author Topic: SOE - A retrospective  (Read 834 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Re: SOE - A retrospective
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2018, 07:33:21 AM »
Meh, it's not for everyone.

Ah, the "f*** the revolution" speech. A true classic. Boy was he pi**ed off.

rockatansky

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2018, 07:54:18 AM »
Don't say meh. It isn't meh. I still haven't given up on SOE.  I'm going to play the album until my ears bleed. Just frustrated right now.  Something else is bothering me about it and damn it I can't put my finger on it.  I'll come around, just need more time.  Like you, it gets stuck in my head 24/7 and it's painful to go through.  But, I've got to figure it out.  I won't relax until I do.  :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 08:14:38 AM by rockatansky »

Offline World71R

• Refugee
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2018, 12:21:42 PM »
It's a very U2-like album, but in a good way and a way that seems new and fresh. The only songs I'm not too fond of on a regular basis are The Best Thing and American Soul. The Best Thing is too pop for my liking and American Soul is alright but I feel like there's too much stopping and starting and not consistently hitting hard like I feel it should.

Otherwise, there's some very good songs on here. The Little Things, Red Flag Day, Love is All We Have Left, and Love is Bigger... are all modern classics to some extent, as is the St. Peter Strings version of Lights of Home. GOOYOW is a grower, Landlady is a nice little ballad, 13 is a beautiful and poignant closer, Blackout could be a little rawer/harder-hitting but it's alright, The Showman is a lot of fun and gets a lot of unnecessary hate, and Summer of Love is better at first but it's still good & the arrangement is a high point (love the bassline, percussion, and strings).

Offline TongueInMyEar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Love it won't be long....
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2018, 04:19:19 AM »
I really do love this album. The song writing, the vibe, the cover. It just all works. I keep coming back to it thinking "maybe this time will be the time I get bored with it" but it never is. Definitely in the top half for me.

Love Is All We Have Left is probably my favourite album opener since Zooropa. Not necessarily what I think is the best song out of those opening their albums since, but the best for setting up the album

rockatansky

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2018, 09:54:48 AM »
I've really come around to liking this album.  The one thing that was bothering me has revealed itself after multiple listens.  It's my feeling that the album is a pop album, not a rock album.  At least that's what I feel.  It's a flow of huge pop music.  It was hard for me to accept (again my opinion) since I always equate U2 to rock 'n roll.  Though, there are pieces of rock that flare out some: American Soul, Red Flag Day, The Blackout. 

The album has a nice flow, opening with the mesmerizing Love Is All We Have Left.  As I said previously, the themes of love and mortality seem prevalent.  Songs I really like are: Lights Of Home (beautiful), Get Out Of You Own Way, Landlady, The Little Things (Edge's guitar), and Love Is Bigger.  Heck, I like them all.  They are very accessible pop songs and the band is in fine form.

SOE is a big step ahead of SOI, which I could not relate to at all.  SOE deserves more attention than I think it has received.  It's a big pop sound, with far reaching potential.

Lights Of Home is a sure favorite.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 06:46:39 AM by rockatansky »

Offline Tortuga

• Headache in a Suitcase
SOE - A retrospective
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2018, 05:07:58 PM »
I have listened to SOE many times....probably 100+.  For me, the songs went from unfamiliar to “catchy” very quickly.  Then the transition from “catchy” to I’m sick of it was almost non-existent.  Burn out came on really fast.  I kept listening but it never came back around.

I have theorized that it has to do with leaning too heavily on time-tested rhythms and intervals.  I listen to ALOT of music so most songs sound like some other song to me.  Nearly all popular music is derivative.  An artist has to be pretty original to keep you interested when you listen to so much music.

To me, many of the songs do not even sound like U2.  They sound more like U2 covering bands like One Republic or Imagine Dragons.  In the 80s and 90s U2 sounded only like U2.  Their STYLE was like nothing else.  That’s why their early albums don’t sound dated the way someone like Flock of Seagulls does.  To me they’ve lost that uniqueness.  To be fair, even sounding like signature U2 is cliche in 2018.  Their sound is a victim to its own success.  And dreaming it all up a third time is a tall order.  So looking for inspiration, they look to what is relevant in 2018 and you get SOE.

Please don’t interpret this as me dogging U2.  I have every confidence they will come back with greatness again.  But the last two albums are, to me, their weakest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 07:03:01 PM by Tortuga »

Offline Sunchild

• Stateless
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2018, 01:18:10 PM »
I am excited to listen to this album, I had it since the release, but I haven't found the right time to listen to it yet. It's surreal seeing people talking about it, and I haven't heard it yet, as I love U2 so much. I'm not a person who goes for instant gratification, to have everything here and now, I cherish divine timing, so then the album could have the biggest impact on me. I am water fasting now, in a great health, so I feel it's about time to go at it with clarity of heart and mind.

Offline World71R

• Refugee
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2018, 10:53:32 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

To me, many of the songs do not even sound like U2.  They sound more like U2 covering bands like One Republic or Imagine Dragons.  In the 80s and 90s U2 sounded only like U2.  Their STYLE was like nothing else.  That’s why their early albums don’t sound dated the way someone like Flock of Seagulls does.  To me they’ve lost that uniqueness.  To be fair, even sounding like signature U2 is cliche in 2018.  Their sound is a victim to its own success.  And dreaming it all up a third time is a tall order.  So looking for inspiration, they look to what is relevant in 2018 and you get SOE.

I think there are still some songs on the album that has a style that is like nothing else, in many ways, like Love is All We Have Left and The Little Things. Those two songs feel like classic U2, in that they take inspiration from other artists and genres (Bon Iver in the case of LIAWHL especially) and make it their own. LIAWHL feels like a modernized version of MLK or Grace, but better, and The Little Things just feels distinctively U2 but in a modern context. I don't think either song will sound dated in time, but I do think where they try to go pop (and not the album either  :P ), it sounds the most dated, like with Love is Bigger... and You're the Best Thing, but there still seems to be that hint of U2 in there that sets it apart, as is the case with GOOYOW which feels distinctively U2, albeit too much to some extent.

This makes me wish that they had put Book of Your Heart on SOE. That feels like the best attempt at a third reinvention. It has a bit of a house/electronica vibe to it at the beginning but it's still very U2-like, and going down that direction, along with The Little Things and LIAWHL, would make for one hell of an album and seems like what Songs of Ascent would be all about.

Offline Tortuga

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2018, 12:03:41 PM »

I think there are still some songs on the album that has a style that is like nothing else, in many ways, like Love is All We Have Left and The Little Things. Those two songs feel like classic U2, in that they take inspiration from other artists and genres (Bon Iver in the case of LIAWHL especially) and make it their own. LIAWHL feels like a modernized version of MLK or Grace, but better, and The Little Things just feels distinctively U2 but in a modern context. I don't think either song will sound dated in time, but I do think where they try to go pop (and not the album either  :P ), it sounds the most dated, like with Love is Bigger... and You're the Best Thing, but there still seems to be that hint of U2 in there that sets it apart, as is the case with GOOYOW which feels distinctively U2, albeit too much to some extent.

This makes me wish that they had put Book of Your Heart on SOE. That feels like the best attempt at a third reinvention. It has a bit of a house/electronica vibe to it at the beginning but it's still very U2-like, and going down that direction, along with The Little Things and LIAWHL, would make for one hell of an album and seems like what Songs of Ascent would be all about.

Yep.  LIAWHL is the track that does not suffer from my general overall perception of the album.  IMHO, it is the best track on the album.

LT is a U2 by the numbers track.  Its a good song and I would love it if it was the first U2 song I ever heard.  The sad but honest truth though is that I’ve tired of that formula.

The ones I really can’t engage with though are the ones that sound derivative of modern pop like Summer of Love.  Also 13, which is a rehash of Song for Someone.  It just seems like too much of SOE is a rehash of prior U2 or mainstream pop.

rockatansky

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2018, 12:15:17 PM »

Yep.  LIAWHL is the track that does not suffer from my general overall perception of the album.  IMHO, it is the best track on the album.

LT is a U2 by the numbers track.  Its a good song and I would love it if it was the first U2 song I ever heard.  The sad but honest truth though is that I’ve tired of that formula.

The ones I really can’t engage with though are the ones that sound derivative of modern pop like Summer of Love.  Also 13, which is a rehash of Song for Someone.  It just seems like too much of SOE is a rehash of prior U2 or mainstream pop.

Agreed. My main point from post above.  I like the album for its mainstream pop appeal.  But, after over a dozen listens now, its appeal is wearing thin. For a mainstream pop album its good but not the U2 that I know and love.

(Sorry about first posting of this.  I got the whole quote thing mixed up in putting my comment on.  It's fixed now.)

« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 01:36:28 PM by rockatansky »

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2018, 12:27:54 PM »
About 13, I worked on it and got halfway. I love the 13 part of 13. I loathe the SFS part.

I'm not against callbacks as a rule but that one was a dud for me.

A shame because there's a lovely song there, I love what it stands for, and the performance live was stunning.

But that's just 13. I think LIAWHL, RFD, AS, GOOYOW kick ass. And I love LT. Maybe I don't want an album of 10 LTs back to back but one is a good thing, and it was more unique that COBL was.

Offline Tortuga

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2018, 04:21:44 PM »
About 13, I worked on it and got halfway. I love the 13 part of 13. I loathe the SFS part.

I'm not against callbacks as a rule but that one was a dud for me.

A shame because there's a lovely song there, I love what it stands for, and the performance live was stunning.

But that's just 13. I think LIAWHL, RFD, AS, GOOYOW kick ass. And I love LT. Maybe I don't want an album of 10 LTs back to back but one is a good thing, and it was more unique that COBL was.

Never could stand COBL.

Part of the problem with 13 is that SFS was not really fresh to start with.  That three note drawn out vocal on the word “song” gets old so fast and is a worn out interval.  And the “There is a light, don’t let it go out”.  Really?  Sounds like 9th grade poetry.

But I’ve learned I have to couch these comments with a re-assuring “I still love and respect U2” or people get all crazy.  Bono used to say 2 sh&$t albums and you’re out.  I will keep listening to anything they put out until the end.

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Numb
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2018, 10:55:56 PM »
I really do love this album. The song writing, the vibe, the cover. It just all works. I keep coming back to it thinking "maybe this time will be the time I get bored with it" but it never is. Definitely in the top half for me.

Love Is All We Have Left is probably my favourite album opener since Zooropa. Not necessarily what I think is the best song out of those opening their albums since, but the best for setting up the album

I agree.   Big fan of this effort.   I still turn the volume up for the Kygo version of Best Thing.   LIAWHL is the best setup/opener since Zooropa and what Fez-Being Born woulda/shoulda been for No Line.   

Offline Jdelbove

• Wanderer
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2018, 02:29:44 AM »
A couple thoughts on SOE
I think its a pretty good album.  Maybe in my top 5. 
American Soul is pretty bad but I like or borderline love the rest of the songs. 
Lights of Home might be my favorite U2 song in the past 20 years.
Album could use more Edge/guitar upfront but the Larry, Adam and Bono all deliver