Author Topic: Best version of 40?  (Read 374 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Best version of 40?
« on: October 17, 2018, 08:59:37 AM »
What is your favorite 40 performance?

I heard a snippet from either the Vertigo or 360 tour that sounded amazing but I don't know which specific performance it was. I like Red Rocks ok but I think there must be others that blow that one away.

rockatansky

Re: Best version of 40?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 10:30:42 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What is your favorite 40 performance?

I heard a snippet from either the Vertigo or 360 tour that sounded amazing but I don't know which specific performance it was. I like Red Rocks ok but I think there must be others that blow that one away.

Well, that's a great question. 

The Vertigo Tour version is here:

And with the 360 tour, it looks liked they closed with Moment Of Surrender not 40 for the most part.  But there is this version from Moncton in 2011, apparently the last 360 show of 2011.

Those are versions done with a more "mature" U2.

There is this version from The Joshua Tree Tour, Tempe Arizona, 1987:

And this version from Paris in 1987:

And here's one from Germany in 1983:

I think I like the 1987 Tempe Version the best.  Early U2, and all that.  Plus, I never can get myself out of the past.

There's more, like Red Rocks etc.  And I always remember the version I heard live in Fort Worth Texas, 11/23 & 11/24, 1987.  Where B.B. King played with the band on the 24th (not on 40 of course).  :)  I still remember the crowd singing - "How Long To Sing This Song, How Long".

Well, I'm pretty much good at copy and paste, which is about it.

Which version(s) do you like of the ones I posted?

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 11:39:47 AM »
Wow, this is awesome! I think I saw the Tempe one before. I will give my definitive feedback tonight after I review these!

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 04:16:24 PM »
I watched the Chicago (Vertigo) version you posted, and maybe the snippet I heard was from that tour but maybe not that night. That version (Chicago) was great on the theatrics of the band exiting, though.

Thanks for finding a 360 performance. Another good one but this is one song you want to hear the crowd noise well - I can't hear it at all!

Tempe 1987 was good - wow, a different time for sure.

I will keep looking around. I know the one I'm looking for is from this century (narrows it down a lot, I know). No big deal, just had a hankering to find it if I could.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 04:21:28 PM »
Oh, and the harmony on 360 is really nice. Have it stuck in my head now actually. THANKS EDGE.

rockatansky

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 06:20:01 AM »
Let me know it if you find it.  I'll do some more searching myself. I've literally got scores of bookmarks (all sorted) and a YouTube page where they are all neatly organized.  If memory serves they did a Vertigo (or was it Elevation) tour filming in Milan too.  Not sure if 40 was on the setlist.  I'll check around some more.  Like I said all I'm really good for is copy/paste...

rockatansky

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 06:40:30 AM »
Just a thought:

If you go here:

On the bottom it lists all shows that 40 was played at.  Now it's an incredibly fooking long list but you might be able to winnow it down to something close to the timeframe you are thinking of.  The chances though that there will be good concert coverage, at least in a YouTube video, is probably small.  There are a ton of amateurish videos out there but sound quality and video quality are crap.  There aren't that many sanctioned filmed, professional versions of U2 concerts, if you think about it.

One interesting thing from that list of shows 40 appeared in, ended in 2015.  No other performances of it after. So, that winnows it down considerably, I guess. It also lists the albums the song appeared on. That can point to live versions of 40 too.  I've got my algorithm doing a search through my bookmarks and other areas to see if anything pops out.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 07:12:17 AM by rockatansky »

rockatansky

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 09:27:52 AM »
So what's the deal laoghaire?  Did you give up on the 40 quest?  Truthfully though, I couldn't find anything better than what I posted but that doesn't mean it's not out there.  I haven't given up and will keep looking.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 10:28:50 AM »
<sob> I can't take the pressure!! <wails>

Nah, I just didn't have time yet to look more. Will do so off and on over the next few days. I will definitely report if I figure it out. I don't even recall where I heard/saw the snippet itself.

rockatansky

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 10:34:30 AM »
lol!  ;D

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 10:39:09 AM »
I loved the performances of the song from War Tour up to and including The Joshua Tree tour. Thats when i feel the song was performed the best

rockatansky

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 10:46:15 AM »
I loved the performances of the song from War Tour up to and including The Joshua Tree tour. Thats when i feel the song was performed the best

I agree.  That's when they had the best energy behind 40.  The newer versions are good but the emotion of those early days, when 40 was still a "raw" song, take it to its highest level.  That's why I love that Tempe version.  It's cool to listen to the crowd carrying on the song - "how long to sing this song" way after the band has left the stage.  You can feel the energy and emotion through the crowd. Powerful stuff!

Offline MoreMoon

• Babyface
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2018, 03:02:19 PM »
I've always been partial to the performance from the "Happy New Year" bootleg. It always felt peak performance to me, coming as it did with Bono's famous "dream it all up again" speech.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2018, 05:31:00 PM »
That was great, love how the audience was doing their part BEFORE the song. Not bad for a song written and recorded/mixed/cut in less than an hour - I mean the response it gets.

Was it this night or the night before with the dream it all up again speech? Got a timestamp or at least just remember what song it was before? I have a recording of this concert somewhere but I'm not intimately familiar with it. Love B.B. on it though.

rockatansky

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2018, 06:41:13 AM »
I've always been partial to the performance from the "Happy New Year" bootleg. It always felt peak performance to me, coming as it did with Bono's famous "dream it all up again" speech.

Thanks for posting this, definitely will add to my live collections!  The 40 version reminds me of the Forth Worth, Texas concert I attended in '87.  That Fort Worth concert also had B.B. King playing with the band.  I need to listen through the whole concert you posted to compare the B.B. performance with what I attended. But I'm sure it's just as good.

Got the same question that laoghaire does about the "dream it up all again" speech.  Is that in this concert or was it another time?  Do you have a link to it?  I haven't listened to the whole concert you posted so will do and maybe that will answer the questions.

Just wish there was video for the concert you posted.  I always tie the music in better with visuals attached.  But, it's still a great listen and really appreciate you posting it!