Author Topic: Best version of 40?  (Read 373 times)

rockatansky

Re: Best version of 40?
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2018, 06:48:50 AM »
I found it - the "dream it up all again" speech.  It looks like it was recorded on December 30th, 1989 - the concert previous to the one MoreMoon posted.  It occurs during the performance of "Love Rescue Me".

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Note: After listening to above recording, I'm not sure if it's the right one.  MoreMoon can probably set it straight.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 07:07:03 AM by rockatansky »

Offline Moloch50

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2018, 09:57:24 AM »
I know this thread is all about the recorded versions of 40 but nothing beats the memory of leaving the Phoenix Park Racecourse (now a housing estate) in Dublin in the summer of 1983 with 40,000 Dubs singing "How long" as we walked back into town.

rockatansky

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2018, 10:11:41 AM »
I know this thread is all about the recorded versions of 40 but nothing beats the memory of leaving the Phoenix Park Racecourse (now a housing estate) in Dublin in the summer of 1983 with 40,000 Dubs singing "How long" as we walked back into town.

Your post fits perfectly on this thread.  That is such an awesome memory to have!  I'm jealous.  I saw them in '83 in the US but seeing them in Dublin would have taken the cake.  Great memory to have, thanks for sharing!

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NJ, NYC 3,Belfast 1,2
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2018, 11:18:14 AM »

Also proves how memory is stronger than recorded version. 40 is one of my favourite songs by U2. I would say that Red Rocks, Point Depot or Lorley is my personal highlight.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2018, 03:48:05 PM »
So on further reflection it must have been Chicago/Vertigo after all. I just heard a snippet of the first verse somewhere and said, wow, that sounds great.

Also, I realize this probably doesn't count, but I have to mention Boston/Elevation. Holy crap. That's the very best churchin' in this wide world.

I would have been like Joliet Jake, seeing the LIGHT!