Author Topic: Are u2 forums dying a death?  (Read 4296 times)

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
Are u2 forums dying a death?
« on: October 18, 2018, 09:41:02 AM »
With u2 being one of my most fave subjects on the planet, i do so love to discuss all things u2 with other fans. But, i cant help notice how dead the u2 forums i frequent have become, even during Tour time (which is worrying)
Judging by the lack of new posts every day, it seems that the interest in the band is no longer there. Without a doubt, those that run this site shot themselves in the foot last year, by trying to punish the fans, by withdrawing the forum. That has really backfired big time.
For the record, i am a member fo 4 u2 fanpages/forums. The two main websites i visit are worryingly quiet, one website i rarely venture into these days and the Group on Facebook seems to be way more popular
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 09:48:17 AM by Smee »

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
Re: Are u2 forums dying a death?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 09:52:53 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
those that run this site shot themselves in the foot last year, by trying to punish the fans

Is that what happened?

Offline Smee

• Numb
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 10:15:30 AM »
those that run this site shot themselves in the foot last year, by trying to punish the fans

Is that what happened?

Thats how i (and many others) interpreted it.

Offline Luzita

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 02:05:19 PM »

Is that what happened?

You say that this site "shot themselves in the foot" and that the evidence is a lack of activity.

Yet you also say that you visit a number of U2 sites and all of them are quiet.

Hmmm.

Personally, I think this site is fairly active, certainly more so than some other U2 sites I've visited. Of course I am new to online fandom so I wasn't around 10 or 15 years ago when, I am told, activity was much greater at all the U2 sites. If things are quieter now, that may be because U2 is no longer riding high on the charts. Or maybe some of the activity has moved to newer platforms like Facebook and Twitter and others.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 02:08:41 PM by Luzita »

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 03:16:48 PM »
I've also noticed that the sites seem to be a little quieter, especially in regards to U2 chatter. I do find it a bit odd that more people are talking about the shows they've gone to, but they could be like me where after I got back from my show, I was too busy with over life things to post about it here. I think there is still an interest in the band, but people might not have the same amount of free time as they used to for posting on message boards.

As for the comment about this site causing an issue for itself by shutting down for a bit, I don't agree. Sure, some people didn't return and it is much quieter around here, but I think the overall atmosphere has been better. I periodically browse the site where several members from here fled during the shutdown and it's just the same people being negative, attaching others political views and arguing about the same things they did when they were here. I actually find it a bit funny that it seems some of the other members there have started complaining to that site's mods about the behavior and it's the same complaints many of us had here about those same people.

Offline Smee

• Numb
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 04:12:37 PM »

Is that what happened?

You say that this site "shot themselves in the foot" and that the evidence is a lack of activity.

Hmmm.

Personally, I think this site is fairly active, certainly more so than some other U2 sites I've visited. Of course I am new to online fandom so I wasn't around 10 or 15 years ago when, I am told, activity was much greater at all the U2 sites. If things are quieter now, that may be because U2 is no longer riding high on the charts. Or maybe some of the activity has moved to newer platforms like Facebook and Twitter and others.

I did NOT say all the u2 sites were quiet. The old one i originally was a member of was still relatively busy the last time i visited, but i had heard it was suffering too (although i have not seen evidence of this)
The Facebook group is busy

Offline Luzita

• Intellectual Tortoise
Are u2 forums dying a death?
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 09:21:14 PM »

Is that what happened?

Hmmm.

I did NOT say all the u2 sites were quiet. The old one i originally was a member of was still relatively busy the last time i visited, but i had heard it was suffering too (although i have not seen evidence of this)
The Facebook group is busy
You said the 2 websites you visit are quiet and that there’s another one you no longer visit. You didn’t actually say why you no longer visit the third one, that’s true; to me the implication was that it’s even more dead.

You did say the Facebook page was pretty busy. That’s part of the reason why, in my post, I speculated that maybe some of the traffic has gone to newer platforms like Facebook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockatansky

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 06:20:19 AM »
I'm new, as you can obviously see on the side with my profile.  I don't belong to any other forums, so maybe I'm not the best source of information.  But, it seems to me this forum is dead quiet.  I visit it daily (multiple times) and there is hardly any activity.  And I've noticed the activity seems to come from the same small group of people. I may be wrong about that though.  I've no idea on the theories for this that are noted on this thread but it really does seem to be either dying or dead.  Which sucks...

Offline Smee

• Numb
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 08:01:32 AM »
I'm new, as you can obviously see on the side with my profile.  I don't belong to any other forums, so maybe I'm not the best source of information.  But, it seems to me this forum is dead quiet.  I visit it daily (multiple times) and there is hardly any activity.  And I've noticed the activity seems to come from the same small group of people. I may be wrong about that though.  I've no idea on the theories for this that are noted on this thread but it really does seem to be either dying or dead.  Which sucks...

Exactly. Nail on the head there. atu2 forum used to have its quiet spells before it shut down the forum, but nothing as quiet as it permanently is now. Im sad about it. As i say, I love talking about all things u2. This site used to meet all my needs....till one year ago. Now, I struggle to feed my habit lol

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 08:06:35 AM »
Forums are typically a community of people brought together because of a common interest. Over time, it's the community that keeps people coming back rather than the core subject matter.

Conversation outside of U2 with people I'd got to know through the love of the band interested me. Sport. Politics. Humour. Other bands. Photography. Music in general.

The community was fractured, self inflicted in part and an overreaction in others, and it hasn't recovered. The band themselves have toured the US so heavily that some of us from other parts of the world have become more apathetic.

I dunno. But there's a lot of reasons. Those were the ones I thought of.

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 08:48:11 AM »
It's a shame that not many people post any more. I've noticed it too. This is the only U2 forum I still visit these days. I left one forum because it was dominated by a bunch cult-like apologists of a criminal pseudo-politician and there's another forum I'm still a member of but haven't visited for aeons because there are too many trolls and idiots posting nasty tripe and creating an unpleasant atmosphere that it became a tedious place to visit.

I haven't checked out any U2 groups on Facebook. I'm on U2's official FB and Twitter pages. I follow a U2 fan page on Reddit too but it's not that busy either. It's a shame it seems so quiet in U2 online fandom in general. I guess there's not a lot to talk about at the moment regarding new music releases. There is the tour of course. I'd love to talk about that but sadly I can't afford to attend. I'm watching all the videos posted on YouTube though and it looks like an amazing show!

I hope someone will be Periscoping tonight's show as it makes it extra-special to be able to watch it as it happens!  I love the changes in the setlist too, adding more Achtung Baby songs, as that's my favourite U2 album by far! :)

rockatansky

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 09:07:47 AM »
Exactly. Nail on the head there. atu2 forum used to have its quiet spells before it shut down the forum, but nothing as quiet as it permanently is now. Im sad about it. As i say, I love talking about all things u2. This site used to meet all my needs....till one year ago. Now, I struggle to feed my habit lol

Here's something to confirm what you and I are saying.  At the top of the forum page there is a link titled "Members" where you can view the Member List.  There are 272 pages listed with 50 members per page.  According to my trusty little calculator that extrapolates to 13,600 members.  So, where the heck are these 13,600 members.  The activity on this forum represents a tiny fraction of that total.  Numbers don't lie.

Offline Smee

• Numb
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 10:00:55 AM »
Before this site shut down the forum for a while, this site was enough to fill my u2 needs. Now, i have to go to 4 different sites to meet my needs. I know its not a big hassle or anything, its just sad to see one of my old (and favourite) haunts struggling for content
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 10:12:22 AM by Smee »

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 10:15:47 AM »
It's not dead here but certainly dying.

I'm new here (6 or 7 months) but I've read through a lot of the older threads and see there used to be a lot more activity. I've sometimes felt compelled to add a reply but didn't want to annoy people reviving dead threads. (I think I did it once though).

Brainstorm of reasons:

1) Forums are giving way to other media like FB. If this is true that wouldn't explain everything as it would be obvious where all the action is now.

2) Fans are at an age where they are too busy or whatever. I think this would have happened a long time ago if true.

3) U2 lost fans with the Apple fiasco. Don't think so, I read through old topics and I didn't see that reflected. U2 lost a lot of cred with non fans and became the butt of jokes but fans were mostly just frustrated about the loss of standing not angry about the stunt.

4) U2 lost a lot of fans with the last two/three/four/five/six albums. This may be true but I'm unconvinced it explains everything.

5) This forum is 10 years old and can you really discuss a band for that long? I think this might be a pretty good chunk of it. U2 might be gaining a couple new fans here and there but they had amassed the vast total of their fan base by 2002 or so. There are only so many fans in the world hard core enough to spend time on a forum geeking out on bedazzles and the different interpretations of "love." Once those people spent a year or three or seven they moved on with their lives and there's only a trickle to replace them.

6) Bono passed his expiration date. There used to be a contingent of people here dying over his every eyelash flutter. He suddenly aged in dog years and that contingent is gone, leaving the room much quieter.

7) The world got divided. All of the English speaking world (and more, but this is a forum centered on the English speaking world) has experienced a dramatic shift in the last three or four years. That can be the lifeblood of other forums on other topics but when discussing a band it leads to problems. If this hypothesis is true, it's happening at other fan forums of different topics (other bands, athletes, fiction universes, etc.) as well.

8 ) U2 have been overexposed of late. Hard to say if this could be an explanation - years of no activity don't lend to hopping forums.

9) back to the first idea, that the media has changed. Maybe a shift to another medium happened but the medium couldn't sustain the activity. Back in the late 90s, we were enthralled with email, and people used to write "letters" via email. Over time, and with the advent of texting, the art of the letter has been choked out. Likewise people maybe moved to FB but FB doesn't lend itself to discussion like this. Somebody would post a question or short idea and they'll get oneliner responses and "lol"s. So much for discussion.

Offline 64ac30

• Refugee
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 10:36:50 AM »
Seems to me most people on here joined for the sake of “how do I get a ticket?” And most old membership left.