Author Topic: Are u2 forums dying a death?  (Read 4353 times)

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Are u2 forums dying a death?
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2018, 04:57:27 PM »
It does seem that other bands' forums are pretty quiet too. I'm on an Arctic Monkeys forum and it's pretty dead, only a handful of people posting, which is crazy considering they have a new album out this year and are currently on tour! So it's not just U2. It's a shame. The likes of Twitter is no place to be able to discuss your favourite bands with other fans in any detail!

Offline Luzita

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2018, 04:59:52 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It does seem that other bands' forums are pretty quiet too. I'm on an Arctic Monkeys forum and it's pretty dead, only a handful of people posting, which is crazy considering they have a new album out this year and are currently on tour! So it's not just U2. It's a shame. The likes of Twitter is no place to be able to discuss your favourite bands with other fans in any detail!
Yes thatís the trouble with the newer platforms. They donít seem to encourage in-depth discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline apoed

• Babyface
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2018, 07:39:46 PM »
7) The world got divided. All of the English speaking world (and more, but this is a forum centered on the English speaking world) has experienced a dramatic shift in the last three or four years. That can be the lifeblood of other forums on other topics but when discussing a band it leads to problems. If this hypothesis is true, it's happening at other fan forums of different topics (other bands, athletes, fiction universes, etc.) as well.

I think that's a lot of it.  I've been here for almost 15 years now, I think, and never saw the kind of animosity that it had nearly a year ago before the forum was shut down.  This total cultural rift is seemingly affecting everything else these days, so why not a site for a band as political as U2, too?  The sad thing is, I don't see how, short of a major calamity that draws people together, that things can improve for the better any time soon. 

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2018, 11:39:14 PM »
A few things: a big part of why itís quiet is because the band donít give us as much to talk about anymore. You can only rehash the past so much before everything that needs to be said has been said.

I also think there has been a fracturing/diversification of modes of communication. For good or for ill, message boards are old. Theyíre not necessarily how people communicate or gather as they were in the past.

Lastly, for the folks who think Atu2/the message boards here shot ourselves in the foot by shutting down for a few months: the folks that didnít come back were people who talked a lot, but a lot of what they said was s#!t talking. Please donít equate the volume of drama with the volume of worthwhile conversation. I was a relatively new mod then, and still the amouint of stuff that was being dealt with behind the scenes was absurd. If these boards didnít come back like this, they wouldnít have come back at all. It is what it is, and Iíd much rather have it as it is now than not have it at all.

Donít think thatís fair for the mods to say. The mods accept u2 is a policital band but restrict political discussion. itís understandablee why many longtime u2 fans didnít like SOE, itís the most pop-culture sounding album theyíve ever put out. Of course thereís going to be a divide between people who like and donít like the new direction. If people were getting nasty, then those nasty people shouldíve been removed, not the whole forum shutdown.

Lots of longtime forum members who have written meaningful posts left because of these reasons. And honestly, mods should be put in check. If a member doesnít agree with what a mod says, they should be able to get a second moderators opinion, not threatened with being banned.

Want to know why political discourse got restricted? It's because it almost always became personal and insulting. Sometimes it happened right off the bat, sometimes it happened a while into the thread, but sooner or later people started insulting each other. Me personally? I would LOVE to have political conversations on here. U2 are a political band, and I go insane when I see people who went to a U2 show complain about the politics in the show. The fact that U2 are political is one of my favorite things about them. But what happened here was that people could not just debate politics. Almost every conversation devolved into personal insults in one way or another. You saw the individual conversations; we saw the aggregate. And all of this also regularly happened when the band were discussed themselves. If the insults and rudeness could be avoided, I would happily advocate for political discussions here again in a heartbeat.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 11:56:47 PM by ian ryan »

Offline davis

• Stateless
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2018, 04:17:23 PM »
Want to know why political discourse got restricted? It's because it almost always became personal and insulting. Sometimes it happened right off the bat, sometimes it happened a while into the thread, but sooner or later people started insulting each other. Me personally? I would LOVE to have political conversations on here. U2 are a political band, and I go insane when I see people who went to a U2 show complain about the politics in the show. The fact that U2 are political is one of my favorite things about them. But what happened here was that people could not just debate politics. Almost every conversation devolved into personal insults in one way or another. You saw the individual conversations; we saw the aggregate. And all of this also regularly happened when the band were discussed themselves. If the insults and rudeness could be avoided, I would happily advocate for political discussions here again in a heartbeat.

This is helpful perspective.  I was/am a longtime lurker and occasional poster.  I was baffled by the shutdown last year.  I mean, obviously the powers that be felt it was necessary, and who am I to say it wasn't?  But it also clearly had an impact on the liveliness and relevance of this forum. 

The political trolling got old, but it seemed to me that was mainly down to the same handful of ultra-conservatives who were unwilling to openly consider reasonable critiques of Mr. Trump.  Last time I checked, those same folks were up to their old tricks on another forum. 

I do miss the spirited debating about U2's past, present, and future. 

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2018, 05:12:55 PM »
Surely the admins could have identified and singled out the perpetrators and just banned them individually? Or at least threatened to ban them for behavioural reasons. Not saying the forum shut down is solely to blame for the lack of activity these days but yeah it probably didn't help.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2018, 05:21:11 PM »

This is helpful perspective.  I was/am a longtime lurker and occasional poster.  I was baffled by the shutdown last year.  I mean, obviously the powers that be felt it was necessary, and who am I to say it wasn't?  But it also clearly had an impact on the liveliness and relevance of this forum. 

The political trolling got old, but it seemed to me that was mainly down to the same handful of ultra-conservatives who were unwilling to openly consider reasonable critiques of Mr. Trump.  Last time I checked, those same folks were up to their old tricks on another forum. 

I do miss the spirited debating about U2's past, present, and future.

It seems like there are few people, probably less than 10 that were very active on here and left after the shut down or just don't come around any more. But this place was always had lower traffic than interference.com. But even interference.com is a tiny shadow of its former self from 8 to 10 years ago.

The fanbase right now is getting smaller and has been for several years. Average fan is older and not as likely it seems to engage in internet discussion of U2. A lot of fans have taken their discussion of U2 to facebook.

I'm also a Coldplay fan and became a member of one their fansites, but it was much slower than even this site. So a lot of forums especially forums that are more narrow in their topics like a fan forum for an artist are not getting as much traffic.

There is a forum called something like American political message board or US Message Board that has political discussions about everything. You can post something in the main discussion forum and come back the next day and the thread has grown into a 30 page discussion that quickly. I read and post there sometimes, but its difficult to keep up with many threads due to high traffic volume.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2018, 05:22:40 PM »
Surely the admins could have identified and singled out the perpetrators and just banned them individually? Or at least threatened to ban them for behavioural reasons. Not saying the forum shut down is solely to blame for the lack of activity these days but yeah it probably didn't help.

Why would someone permanently leave simply because a forum was shut down for a couple of months?

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2018, 05:46:18 PM »
Because it breaks a habit and creates a new one.

Offline 64ac30

• Refugee
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2018, 09:08:12 PM »
Because they know even if the forum comes back, it might have stricter rules

Offline 64ac30

• Refugee
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2018, 09:09:05 PM »

Exactly my point. Atu2 hurt themselves completely shutting down rather than removing said individuals.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2018, 11:17:07 PM »
A few things: a big part of why itís quiet is because the band donít give us as much to talk about anymore. You can only rehash the past so much before everything that needs to be said has been said.

I also think there has been a fracturing/diversification of modes of communication. For good or for ill, message boards are old. Theyíre not necessarily how people communicate or gather as they were in the past.

Lastly, for the folks who think Atu2/the message boards here shot ourselves in the foot by shutting down for a few months: the folks that didnít come back were people who talked a lot, but a lot of what they said was s#!t talking. Please donít equate the volume of drama with the volume of worthwhile conversation. I was a relatively new mod then, and still the amouint of stuff that was being dealt with behind the scenes was absurd. If these boards didnít come back like this, they wouldnít have come back at all. It is what it is, and Iíd much rather have it as it is now than not have it at all.

Donít think thatís fair for the mods to say. The mods accept u2 is a policital band but restrict political discussion. itís understandablee why many longtime u2 fans didnít like SOE, itís the most pop-culture sounding album theyíve ever put out. Of course thereís going to be a divide between people who like and donít like the new direction. If people were getting nasty, then those nasty people shouldíve been removed, not the whole forum shutdown.

Lots of longtime forum members who have written meaningful posts left because of these reasons. And honestly, mods should be put in check. If a member doesnít agree with what a mod says, they should be able to get a second moderators opinion, not threatened with being banned.

All Iím going to say in response to this: there is a MASSIVE difference between having a real political conversation and the s#!t talking that was going on here. The political stance of U2 is one of the main reasons Iím a U2 fan. That U2 are a completely political band is why Iím here. But a political discussion wasnít happening here. Political diatribes happened, yes. But not discussions.

Offline Immy1992

• Elevated
  • oh sugar, don't you cry
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2018, 06:05:56 AM »
Very interesting reading this thread from an old timer perspective.

My personal experience is:

I joined this forum when I was about 16. U2 (and subsequently the forum community here) were my coping mechanism through a very difficult time. At 16 and being such a huge U2 fan, especially in the UK, I was a bit of an outcast, so I felt welcome here.

However, I'm now 26. I met a man, and got married. I got my first job. I've had a child. While I still adore U2, I don't need the support from the forum like I once did. The close friends I made here, I have on Facebook. The reason I'm here now is partly curiosity after reminiscing about the forum at the Manchester gig with another old member.

I guess long and short of it, I enjoyed my time on the forum, but I kinda grew out of it, and I think that's the case for a lot of the other members that were teenagers on here 10 years ago

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2018, 09:52:04 AM »

I joined this forum when I was about 16. U2 (and subsequently the forum community here) were my coping mechanism through a very difficult time. At 16 and being such a huge U2 fan, especially in the UK, I was a bit of an outcast, so I felt welcome here.

However, I'm now 26. I met a man, and got married. I got my first job. I've had a child. While I still adore U2, I don't need the support from the forum like I once did. The close friends I made here, I have on Facebook. The reason I'm here now is partly curiosity after reminiscing about the forum at the Manchester gig with another old member.

I guess long and short of it, I enjoyed my time on the forum, but I kinda grew out of it, and I think that's the case for a lot of the other members that were teenagers on here 10 years ago

Odd that you felt like an outcast being a U2 fan in the UK ten years ago. The band have a history of selling out stadiums in the UK since 1985. Their one of the best known, most popular bands, in the history of the United Kingdom given how many albums and tickets they have sold over the years.

Offline TongueInMyEar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Love it won't be long....
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2018, 10:02:51 AM »

Odd that you felt like an outcast being a U2 fan in the UK ten years ago. The band have a history of selling out stadiums in the UK since 1985. Their one of the best known, most popular bands, in the history of the United Kingdom given how many albums and tickets they have sold over the years.
I can understand this completely, I became a fan around 98/99, spent my teenage years listening to U2 obsessively. I was the only one of my friends who liked them, and as far as I remember the only one out of classmates I spoke to about music at the time. People my age either weren't bothered, hated them, or possibly some liked but wouldn't admit to it as they were seen as uncool.

Speaking to generations older than me it seems they were much more respected. I think for those who became teenagers from 2000 onwards they're seen as uncool.