Author Topic: Are u2 forums dying a death?  (Read 4355 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
Re: Are u2 forums dying a death?
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2018, 11:17:53 AM »
I can easily believe being a teen U2 fan in 2008 in the UK or anywhere wasn't regarded as "cool" by their peers. Mega cool in my book, though.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2018, 11:35:23 AM »
Responses to the statement "I love U2" over the years:

1983: Aw, that's sweet, I love you too."

1987: OMG ME TOOOOO

1992: I like their music but Bono is an egomaniac.

1997: They suck.

2002: OMG BEAUTIFUL DAAAAAAAAY

2008: Bono is a pretentious, megalomaniac hypocrite.

2014: Oh yeah? Well tell them to get the eff out of my iTunes.

2018: Well, duh. ... Huh? I thought you were talking about YouTube. I'm totally confused. I'm shook. Goodbye.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2018, 04:02:38 PM »
Well, politics has pretty much killed the "other" forum.  It's been taken over by right wing nut jobs and conspiracy theorists.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2018, 11:47:54 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Want to know why political discourse got restricted? It's because it almost always became personal and insulting. Sometimes it happened right off the bat, sometimes it happened a while into the thread, but sooner or later people started insulting each other. Me personally? I would LOVE to have political conversations on here. U2 are a political band, and I go insane when I see people who went to a U2 show complain about the politics in the show. The fact that U2 are political is one of my favorite things about them. But what happened here was that people could not just debate politics. Almost every conversation devolved into personal insults in one way or another. You saw the individual conversations; we saw the aggregate. And all of this also regularly happened when the band were discussed themselves. If the insults and rudeness could be avoided, I would happily advocate for political discussions here again in a heartbeat.

This is helpful perspective.  I was/am a longtime lurker and occasional poster.  I was baffled by the shutdown last year.  I mean, obviously the powers that be felt it was necessary, and who am I to say it wasn't?  But it also clearly had an impact on the liveliness and relevance of this forum. 

The political trolling got old, but it seemed to me that was mainly down to the same handful of ultra-conservatives who were unwilling to openly consider reasonable critiques of Mr. Trump.  Last time I checked, those same folks were up to their old tricks on another forum. 

I do miss the spirited debating about U2's past, present, and future.

It seems like there are few people, probably less than 10 that were very active on here and left after the shut down or just don't come around any more. But this place was always had lower traffic than interference.com. But even interference.com is a tiny shadow of its former self from 8 to 10 years ago.

The fanbase right now is getting smaller and has been for several years. Average fan is older and not as likely it seems to engage in internet discussion of U2. A lot of fans have taken their discussion of U2 to facebook.

I'm also a Coldplay fan and became a member of one their fansites, but it was much slower than even this site. So a lot of forums especially forums that are more narrow in their topics like a fan forum for an artist are not getting as much traffic.

There is a forum called something like American political message board or US Message Board that has political discussions about everything. You can post something in the main discussion forum and come back the next day and the thread has grown into a 30 page discussion that quickly. I read and post there sometimes, but its difficult to keep up with many threads due to high traffic volume.

You’re right, it was under 10% of the posters that were talking smack. But what 10% do you think go the most replies/reactions?

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2018, 08:25:22 AM »
Well, politics has pretty much killed the "other" forum.  It's been taken over by right wing nut jobs and conspiracy theorists.

What forum is that?

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2018, 05:53:16 PM »
talku2.com

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2018, 05:55:38 PM »

What forum is that?
yup it’s driving me nuts because they bring it in every thread. And they post nuts theory’s

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2018, 09:18:50 AM »
If the Berlin make up show is really the last show of the tour and 2019 it going to be an off year, or vacation year for the band, then it will be interesting to see if the forums experience any noticeable loss of activity. Perhaps activity is down to some base level that will continue to exist year after year regardless of what the band is doing.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2018, 12:00:12 AM »
Forum traffic traditionally drops off when the band is on downtime mode.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2018, 12:44:24 AM »
Yep. But they've been touring heavily.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2018, 07:12:52 PM »

They have. But when the Milan 4 show ended, what did you want to talk about regarding their 4 Milan shows? What are the band providing to talk about? How much enthusiasm are the band generating by announcing their next North American, South American, or Australian/East Asian tours? None, because they're not. This tour is on the wind down as U2 ignore large swathes of the planet. That's where it's at, and that's the where the energy (or lack thereof) is coming from. They're doing shows each week, but they're not doing a big tour. This is a pretty tiny tour, and the conversation reflects that.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2018, 10:28:51 PM »

They have. But when the Milan 4 show ended, what did you want to talk about regarding their 4 Milan shows? What are the band providing to talk about? How much enthusiasm are the band generating by announcing their next North American, South American, or Australian/East Asian tours? None, because they're not. This tour is on the wind down as U2 ignore large swathes of the planet. That's where it's at, and that's the where the energy (or lack thereof) is coming from. They're doing shows each week, but they're not doing a big tour. This is a pretty tiny tour, and the conversation reflects that.

While most evidence points to the next 5 shows being the last of the tour, I don't think it is official yet. I'm hoping we get something official or semi-official like in a post tour interview soon. Of course, as time goes by and nothing new is announced, that will essentially serve as the confirmation.

These are not short tours, but they are certainly not the length of tour that both albums SOI and SOE deserved to have. Very unfortunate for Australia where they may have to wait until 2023 for a U2 show making it a 13 year wait between 360 and whatever album/tour is next.

Maybe they will surprise everyone with a 30 year anniversary Love Town Tour at the end of 2019.

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2018, 07:46:29 PM »
Very interesting reading this thread from an old timer perspective.

My personal experience is:

I joined this forum when I was about 16. U2 (and subsequently the forum community here) were my coping mechanism through a very difficult time. At 16 and being such a huge U2 fan, especially in the UK, I was a bit of an outcast, so I felt welcome here.

However, I'm now 26. I met a man, and got married. I got my first job. I've had a child. While I still adore U2, I don't need the support from the forum like I once did. The close friends I made here, I have on Facebook. The reason I'm here now is partly curiosity after reminiscing about the forum at the Manchester gig with another old member.

I guess long and short of it, I enjoyed my time on the forum, but I kinda grew out of it, and I think that's the case for a lot of the other members that were teenagers on here 10 years ago

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Got older, got busier, got married, got overworked instead of procrastinating on homework talking to friends home and abroad late at night, found other channels for emotional dependency... You hit the nail on the head, Immy. (Blast from the past!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline PROJ2823

• Refugee
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2018, 12:39:18 PM »
All forums are dying.

The last 10 years I've seen a lot of forums that I'm following die or become much less active.
Whether it is about cars, beer, sports, politics or music.

Main reason is I think facebook and other social media.

Offline dagobah

• Wanderer
  • exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2018, 10:22:11 AM »
Now that was funny!

Concerning the topic of this thread, my profile says I registered in December 2011.  Why do I have only 83 posts in 7 years?  It's very simple.  Time.  I have never understood how people have time to read so many posts . . . . . and then reply . . . . . several times a day.  Or even several times a week.  On a regular basis.  I am astounded that people have posted over 500 times.  I am not making a joke.  And yes . . . . . I realize some people have over 8,000 posts.

I get very frustrated when I initially read a 3-page thread . . . . . and then 1 week later, the thread is 17 pages!  Seriously?  Where do people find the time to post so many times?  From my perspective, I just don't know how people find the time to read so many forum posts and then reply multiple times . . . . . . when they have jobs (sometimes 2 jobs), spouses, kids, pets, food to cook, food to eat, dishes to wash, laundry, apartment/house to clean plus activities/events/exercise, 7 hours of sleep, etc.