Author Topic: Are u2 forums dying a death?  (Read 4354 times)

Offline noelle510

• Refugee
  • Anytime you're on the earth...is kissing time
Re: Are u2 forums dying a death?
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2018, 03:29:21 PM »
As someone who does not use Facebook and has never joined it, I really don't like having a huge portion of our culture in general migrate to one platform, where they mine your information that you have willingly given up to them. I do think a lot of people just don't have time to spend hours on places like this, though I like that it's still here. I'm almost 54 years old and have been a U2 fan since 1984...I would rather have this here than having to join Facebook.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2018, 12:36:52 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
As someone who does not use Facebook and has never joined it, I really don't like having a huge portion of our culture in general migrate to one platform, where they mine your information that you have willingly given up to them. I do think a lot of people just don't have time to spend hours on places like this, though I like that it's still here. I'm almost 54 years old and have been a U2 fan since 1984...I would rather have this here than having to join Facebook.

And weíre happy to have you 🙂

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2018, 12:38:12 AM »
Canít see that happening as both very different places

How different can they be when they are both about U2? I can't think of any other place on the internet that is more similar to this than interference.com.

I cannot reiterate what singnomore said enough. Two very, very different organizations.

Offline dagobah

• Wanderer
  • exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2018, 01:09:21 AM »
Concerning the topic of this thread, my profile says I registered in December 2011.  Why do I have only 83 posts in 7 years?  It's very simple.  Time.  I have never understood how people have time to read so many posts . . . . . and then reply . . . . . several times a day.  Or even several times a week.  On a regular basis.  I am astounded that people have posted over 500 times.  I am not making a joke.  And yes . . . . . I realize some people have over 8,000 posts.

I get very frustrated when I initially read a 3-page thread . . . . . and then 1 week later, the thread is 17 pages!  Seriously?  Where do people find the time to post so many times?  From my perspective, I just don't know how people find the time to read so many forum posts and then reply multiple times . . . . . . when they have jobs (sometimes 2 jobs), spouses, kids, pets, food to cook, food to eat, dishes to wash, laundry, apartment/house to clean plus activities/events/exercise, 7 hours of sleep, etc.

Just the point that you are posting this diatribe is pretty revealing.  If you don't want to participate, then please don't.  But don't knock other people here who want to participate and have a discussion.  Your hypocrisy is stunning.
Ooops . . . . it looks like someone misinterpreted me.  My post does not say I don't want to participate.  It says I don't have time to participate as much as other people.  My post does not knock anyone.  Questioning how people find time in their schedule to participate . . . . . is not knocking them.  It's actually self-deprecating . . . . . because I can't manage my time as efficiently as other people.

As someone who does not use Facebook and has never joined it . . . . . . .
I don't use Facebook either.  I just don't have time.  I think more and more people are spending more time on Internet stuff like Facebook.  When I am driving my bus at work and I am at a red light, I will glance at people in cars.  What are many of them doing?  Looking down at an iPhone-type device.  So are people walking in the crosswalk, walking on the sidewalk and even riding their bikes.  Are those people studying?  Are they doing something work-related?  No.  I know because I ask.  I actually ask complete strangers in public what are they checking out.  Most say Facebook although some say email or texting.  Concerning people who look at their iPhone-type devices while they are driving and their vehicle is actually moving . . . . . . for me, it's shocking to see drivers take this risk.  I guess I'm lucky I don't have a need/desire . . . . . . to almost constantly check something on the Internet.

As far as the @U2 forum is concerned, I'm very grateful it exists.  I'm actually surprised forums don't charge a small annual fee . . . . . something like $10/year.  That would be less than $1 per month.  To me, that seems reasonable.  I assume having a forum costs money.  I have no idea who pays for it.

Offline noelle510

• Refugee
  • Anytime you're on the earth...is kissing time
« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2018, 11:17:54 AM »
When I hear stories of prisoners who have been released from prison after 20+ years, the thing they notice is all the people staring at screens!  ;)
We are in the minority, but our outsider status can help people step back and think. I've seen people lead "technology shabbat" weekend workshops, where people do a "digital detox".
I'll keep checking out the forum as long as it keeps going!

Offline MadRob360

• Refugee
  • Jealousy Is A Disease
« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2018, 01:59:22 PM »
it was a daft thing to do shutting this place down, it was a lot busier before. even the homepage isn't getting updated anymore, no news of dublin 4. So, it's not lack of interest in the band, But as per GA lines it a lot of self entitled people wanting power over the rest, ironic considering some of the content this tour

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2018, 02:09:55 PM »

How different can they be when they are both about U2? I can't think of any other place on the internet that is more similar to this than interference.com.

I cannot reiterate what singnomore said enough. Two very, very different organizations.

How? Explain.

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #82 on: November 13, 2018, 03:19:19 PM »

From what little I've seen and heard about Interference, it has more than a few members that get very nasty and personal with their comments.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #83 on: November 13, 2018, 03:59:06 PM »

From what little I've seen and heard about Interference, it has more than a few members that get very nasty and personal with their comments.
yup.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2018, 04:02:40 PM »

How? Explain.
who cares. Their site, their server, their rules, their shutdowns whenevs they want to. At least Adam and Edge graced atU2 with their presence playing 2 songs at that gig some years back. U2 must know intrrference is... Argumentative, if u wanna be polite about it.

I give the front page updaters a break since this tour is busy. Wonderful shock that achtoon baby drew a cartoon for ei tour. I will read soon.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #85 on: November 13, 2018, 05:11:58 PM »

How? Explain.
who cares. Their site, their server, their rules, their shutdowns whenevs they want to. At least Adam and Edge graced atU2 with their presence playing 2 songs at that gig some years back. U2 must know intrrference is... Argumentative, if u wanna be polite about it.

I give the front page updaters a break since this tour is busy. Wonderful shock that achtoon baby drew a cartoon for ei tour. I will read soon.

Well, wasn't this site shut down because of problems between posters like arguments? I don't know if you could say that one site is more argumentative than the other.

Offline Luzita

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #86 on: November 13, 2018, 05:25:29 PM »

Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline RunningtoStandstill (The League of Extraordinary BonoPeople)

• Airborne Ranger
  • There is no end to love.
« Reply #87 on: November 13, 2018, 05:29:17 PM »
*pokes head in*

To be fair, it's been a heck of a long time since I posted here. But folks tend to forget, there was a very very very dedicated group of fans who frequented and, I think, kept this Forum vibrant the last ten years. And many of those people were young (myself including, despite my turning 30 this year). We were a community, and there was a slow collapse of that community. People grew up, got busy, the world became more divided and mean, forums/Facebook turned into shouting galleries about politics, and I feel like compared to ten years ago when I first joined, there was the sense that an era had passed. This place was truly more than just a fan forum, it was a home for many who came here looking for people who wouldn't judge them. Now, we're far more distracted and less able to sit at our computer at 2 in the morning and talk with friends around the world; at least, on a forum. We do that elsewhere. The last ten+ years were a very unique time where, for a little while, so many fans checked the Forum before they checked the news in the morning. Now, it's the other way around.

*disappears for another year*

Offline danlougee

• Stateless
  • Midnight is where the day begins
« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2018, 02:50:21 PM »
Forgive me if I'm just repeating sh** people already said (cus I don't have time to read this whole thread right now).  It seems to me that this forum really died off after the shut down.  Some of the most prolific posters here went to TalkU2, but I don't think enough people moved over there to sustain a community and now that site seems kind of dead. 

Just speaking for me personally, since SOE the future of U2 is just not all that exciting anymore.  I guess being a newer fan (started listening around 2010) it's taken this long to accept that this is just what U2 is now. I can passively enjoy SOE, but it just feels so passionless.  There's pretty much nothing on the entire record that is captivating in anyway, accept maybe 13 and the little things.  It doesn't seem like they ever intend to reinvent themselves again, and I've accepted they'll never create anything near the likes of Unforgettable Fire, Zooropa, or even Pop.  I'm not excited to come on here and discuss what's coming next for the band, because I just don't really care anymore. 

Offline Sunchild

• Stateless
« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2018, 03:06:28 PM »
For U2 to make a greater re-invention, they would have to go to greater lengths, that means changing a genre of music altogether, changing the sound of instruments, the style of singing, if they made an album in the vein of Wolf Parade or Bahamas, or Phantogram, or more experimental and unpredictable in song structures like Mercury Rev and Elbow are doing, now that reinvention would make a bigger mark, it would be more refreshing and have people curious asking what is that band. Or even go the way of Leonard Cohen and Pj Harvey, something low key, yet powerful, it would create more curiosity, as long as song-writing is strong, but the soul, sound and style is different.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 03:17:09 PM by Sunchild »