Author Topic: Smile  (Read 394 times)

rockatansky

Smile
« on: October 20, 2018, 07:09:16 AM »
I just ran across the U2 song "Smile", it showed up in my YouTube feed.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Maybe it has already been discussed here.  From what I can gather it was included on "The Complete U2" - a digital iTunes offering?  Anyways, I like the song and wondered why it didn't make the cut for a mainstream album.  Any thoughts on that would be appreciated.

Also, from what else I gathered this "The Complete U2" is no longer available for purchase. Did anyone here purchase it when it was available?  Why did it get discontinued?  These are most probably old topics that have been already discussed, but then again I'm old and haven't been plugged into the scene for years.  So, help an old man out here...

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Re: Smile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 08:14:00 AM »
I've never heard nor heard of that song. It sounds good, I like it - but it does seem to fall in the category of "good b-sides," not strong enough to make it on the album.

I'm not sure I understand the lyrics/meaning.

rockatansky

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 09:00:10 AM »
I've never heard nor heard of that song. It sounds good, I like it - but it does seem to fall in the category of "good b-sides," not strong enough to make it on the album.

I'm not sure I understand the lyrics/meaning.

I know, it's weird, I never heard of the song either until it showed up in my Youtube feed.  I feel like I know U2's catalogue pretty well but may be lacking in knowledge of b-sides.  But to never hear it before is strange.

I didn't pay attention to the lyrics which is odd for me not to do.  I usually home in on the lyrics pretty quickly.  I will check it out further and report back.

Your point about it being a good b-side seems right on point.  I guess it would be a big leap for it to make it on an album since U2 has so many b-sides and this may not be one of the strongest.  I still like the song but will listen in depth further. 

Thanks for replying!

Oh, forgot. What about "The Complete U2" digital release.  Do you know anything about that release?

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 09:34:10 AM »
I know less than you do about The Complete U2.

I never even bought a Best Of. (Though why would I if I have all the albums?). I also never bought Passengers OS1. Thoigh what I've heard of the latter didn't inspire me to run right out and purchase more of Drunk Chicken or Elvis Ate America.

I do know some b-sides and one-off tracks (A Celebration, HMTMKMKM, etc.) but there are definitely songs I've missed. Electrical Storm, Mercy, etc.

I guess I'm not a True Fan <hangs head>.

rockatansky

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 11:20:54 AM »
Don't give me that crap, you're definitely a True Fan.  8)

Here's the lyrics which I need to process but not too much processing - maybe just a little bit.  Not a lot, mind you, just enough to realize that maybe it doesn't really need analysis.
I think this is an appropriate b-side:

"Smile"

Gravity, it's not pulling me
I won't be a picture with no sound
Decaying, I'm praying
You are my air
But I need the ground to kneel upon
And love can't be us all
I don't want to see you smile

I'm breaking it, taking it
I'm breaking slowly in my mind
I'm seeing it, free in it
I know love is in this soul of mine
It's not in your eyes
I don't want

It started light-hearted
I won't be easier like you said
I'm going, flowing
I'm leaving on the day
Of the day I will live again
You will live again

God knows, He knows me
Knows me, lonely
You see, hear me, love
Say it again
You're not blind
The smoke machine
Is yours, not mine

I will live again
You will live again
I just don't want to see you smile

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 11:28:20 AM »
I'm reading something like "I need to be grounded in reality" but don't get the refrain.

Offline Bundang Dave

• Running to Stand Still
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 08:17:22 PM »
I first came across Smile on the Medium, Rare & Remastered release.

There are some other good ones on there. My favourites are Xanax & Wine, and Flower Child.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 09:20:34 PM »
I meant to listen to Xanax and Wine after a period of time this summer I was washing my nightly Benedryl down with Merlot. I listened just now. It wasn't as sleepy as I expected. Bono can probably hold his Xanax and wine better than I ever could. I used my nightcap to conk out cold. It was a hard summer.

I liked Smile enough to give it another listen. Might add it to my collection.

rockatansky

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2018, 07:00:16 AM »
I'm reading something like "I need to be grounded in reality" but don't get the refrain.

Yep, getting similar thoughts.  Like he's torn apart but is seeking to get back to life and live again.  The refrain is the hardest part to decipher.  "I know love is in this soul of mine. It's not in your eyes. I don't want. I don't want to see you smile."  It's like he sees deception in the other person and is calling them out for gloating about it.  "I don't want to see you smile". 

That's the best I can do which is probably not very good.  I still like the song and glad I stumbled upon it.

rockatansky

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 07:01:41 AM »
I first came across Smile on the Medium, Rare & Remastered release.

There are some other good ones on there. My favourites are Xanax & Wine, and Flower Child.

Thanks for this!  I'm not familiar with either of them, so will give them a listen.

rockatansky

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 07:20:47 AM »
Just listened.

Xanax And Wine is a rocker to me, I love the guitar.  The lyrics are good too. Atomic Bomb is name checked in the lyrics.  Cool song. I really think it could have stood a chance on a proper album. But, I say that a lot about U2 b-sides.

Flower Child didn't do a lot for me but glad to be introduced to it. It sounded like the band was trying to hard (?) to make it something that it couldn't materialize into. 

Need to get a copy of "Medium, Rare & Remastered" if it's still available.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2018, 07:48:18 AM »

Yep, getting similar thoughts.  Like he's torn apart but is seeking to get back to life and live again.  The refrain is the hardest part to decipher.  "I know love is in this soul of mine. It's not in your eyes. I don't want. I don't want to see you smile."  It's like he sees deception in the other person and is calling them out for gloating about it.  "I don't want to see you smile". 

That's the best I can do which is probably not very good.  I still like the song and glad I stumbled upon it.

Yeah, ok, kind of like Breathe. He's speaking to the devil in Breathe. Who is he speaking to in Smile?

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2018, 07:55:27 AM »
So yeah, it seems it was thematically a precursor to Breathe, cause that's the devil he's talking to and rejecting.

rockatansky

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2018, 08:40:26 AM »
Got you.  He is speaking to the devil who is trying to rob him of his soul and bring him down.  But he wants to fight back and not get knocked down anymore.  He's tired of the devil "smiling" and thinking he has the upper hand. 

I like the song even more, now that the lyrics have "revealed" themselves.  Kind of reminds me of the struggles I face daily.  You mentioned Breathe and I need to revisit it again.  Thanks for bringing that up too.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2018, 09:02:07 AM »
Yeah the song grew on me too. It's simple but compelling.

Breathe is one of my favorites. The devil peddles fear, door to door, in the news. The opposite of love is not hate or even indifference but fear. "Perfect love drives out all fear" - 1 John 4. "I found grace" and "got a love you can't defeat" so "there's nothing you have that I need."