Author Topic: Smile  (Read 393 times)

rockatansky

Re: Smile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2018, 09:26:18 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yeah the song grew on me too. It's simple but compelling.

Breathe is one of my favorites. The devil peddles fear, door to door, in the news. The opposite of love is not hate or even indifference but fear. "Perfect love drives out all fear" - 1 John 4. "I found grace" and "got a love you can't defeat" so "there's nothing you have that I need."

Thanks again for pointing out Breathe!  I can't believe I missed it this long.  It's a testament to faith and God.  Rejection of the devil and all the hate he peddles.  Powerful song.  I love that line "there's nothing you have that I need".  I can see the relation to Smile too.  I'm mad at myself for missing the awesomeness of Breathe.  It's a song that gives me hope now that I understand it.  Fantastic!

Offline BONO31

• Wanderer
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2018, 10:36:25 AM »
Always thought SMILE was about all the politicians he met, donít know why...
Did you know this song was co-written by Simon Carmody?

rockatansky

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2018, 11:00:13 AM »
Always thought SMILE was about all the politicians he met, donít know why...
Did you know this song was co-written by Simon Carmody?

Didn't know that, just found Smile the other day.  Did a little googling: Simon Carmody - The Golden Horde.  His name also appeared on Gavin Friday's website.  Interesting linkage.  Thanks for the info!

Offline BONO31

• Wanderer
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2018, 11:33:50 AM »
Youíre welcome! Thank you because Iím listening SMILE again. ::)

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2018, 08:58:17 PM »
Arghhh. This song. Arghhh.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2018, 11:45:41 PM »
Keep in mind that this is an outtake that they decided to release, not a fully produced song. If the lyrics arenít completely coherent, itís probably because theyíre not finished.

rockatansky

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2018, 06:35:53 AM »
Arghhh. This song. Arghhh.

I know.  The song is frustrating to me too, even though I like it.  But I still believe what we talked about regarding the songs meaning is correct.  I see the theme of Faith, God, and the devil.  It seems clear to me what he is saying. 

I was responding to that Carmody reference to writing the lyrics that BONO31 brought up.  I didn't know that and the relationship to Gavin Friday.  I'm not sure about the political reference but appreciate BONO31 bringing up another idea.

But I still believe we nailed it on the songs meaning.

rockatansky

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2018, 06:42:46 AM »
Keep in mind that this is an outtake that they decided to release, not a fully produced song. If the lyrics arenít completely coherent, itís probably because theyíre not finished.

Another new tidbit, thanks for that!  Listening again to it this morning, I got the feeling the song should have carried on further.  It does tend to seem to be "not fulling finished", like the band wanted to develop it further.  But as the lyrics go and theme of the song go, I still believe what laoghaire and I discussed - Faith, God, the devil.  At least that looks like the path they were going with the song. Maybe it could have morphed into something else due to it not being fully finished, as you noted. 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 06:50:42 AM by rockatansky »

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2018, 08:32:46 AM »
I never really thought about it before, but I find the process of a song getting its claws into me somewhat painful, and it seems that is not typical perhaps.

I think most people get a song in their head from time to time, even to an annoying degree, but for me, it's 24-7. Yes, even when I'm sleeping. It never ends.

If my brain is playing a song I know very well, it's a bit more comfortable. It's quieter, I can ignore it better, more of the song will play instead of just a line or two.

A new song my brain wants to learn, lordamercy.

Hence the arghhhh.

rockatansky

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2018, 11:03:04 AM »
I never really thought about it before, but I find the process of a song getting its claws into me somewhat painful, and it seems that is not typical perhaps.

I think most people get a song in their head from time to time, even to an annoying degree, but for me, it's 24-7. Yes, even when I'm sleeping. It never ends.

If my brain is playing a song I know very well, it's a bit more comfortable. It's quieter, I can ignore it better, more of the song will play instead of just a line or two.

A new song my brain wants to learn, lordamercy.

Hence the arghhhh.

Well put, I can definitely relate. I live, breathe, and dream songs constantly.  As you say, 24/7. I have a YouTube page where I use as a place to keep those new songs (or even older) in order so that I can continuously listen to them, figure them out.  I've also got a ton of internet browser bookmarks.  I'm compulsive about it.  And at times it is painful but the reward is so great.  The U2 catalogue is like a gem to me.  The more I study, the more is revealed to me. I think I'd be lost otherwise.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2018, 06:45:37 PM »
I love this song and paid my $1.29 to add it to my collection.

It's raw so it feels like it could be from TJT days. And while it's Bono's 2000's voice, the singing style seems to harken back in time.

It's strange I didn't get the lyrics right off because they are a classic Bono theme... kind of like listening to a Roger Waters song about exploitation but not seeing it. But the refrain threw me so it took a little bit to connect the dots.

A pair I never fully unravelled were Ultraviolet and Acrobat. I hear both darkness and redemption in both songs but it can be hard to pinpoint what part is what - if I'm even correct in my assumption anyway.

Anyway on Smile there is a nice build-up. Love how "need the ground to kneel upon" is sung, and the climax of "God knows, he knows me."

"I will live again, you will live again, I just don't want to see you smile" - I'm not afraid but I don't want things to go where you think you're winning.

rockatansky

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2018, 07:54:28 AM »
I love this song and paid my $1.29 to add it to my collection.

It's raw so it feels like it could be from TJT days. And while it's Bono's 2000's voice, the singing style seems to harken back in time.

It's strange I didn't get the lyrics right off because they are a classic Bono theme... kind of like listening to a Roger Waters song about exploitation but not seeing it. But the refrain threw me so it took a little bit to connect the dots.

A pair I never fully unravelled were Ultraviolet and Acrobat. I hear both darkness and redemption in both songs but it can be hard to pinpoint what part is what - if I'm even correct in my assumption anyway.

Anyway on Smile there is a nice build-up. Love how "need the ground to kneel upon" is sung, and the climax of "God knows, he knows me."

"I will live again, you will live again, I just don't want to see you smile" - I'm not afraid but I don't want things to go where you think you're winning.

Yes, agreed - it's a keeper for sure!

Got some thoughts on Ultraviolet and Acrobat that I'll share when my brain isn't in a fog like it is right now.