Author Topic: Beautiful Ghost/Introduction To Songs Of Experience  (Read 346 times)

rockatansky

Beautiful Ghost/Introduction To Songs Of Experience
« on: October 22, 2018, 08:09:47 AM »
I was going through the track list for "Medium, Rare & Remastered" which was released in 2009.  There is a track called "Beautiful Ghost/Introduction To Songs Of Experience".  It says on the Wiki page that the track was part of the Joshua Tree sessions.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

So, what's up with this besides my most probably sheer ignorance? How could a song that was part of the Joshua Tree Sessions have a title with Songs Of Experience in it?  Or was that added later?

I found this on @U2:

"Beautiful Ghost/Introduction To Songs Of Experience"

"'Beautiful Ghost' was a song that started out as an experimental demo which we finished later, recorded in STS studios with Paul Barrett, in what is now known as the Temple Bar district of Dublin city. It's always interesting to hear where we started from, and then to hear where we ended up. This and other early demos show how much of the musical identity of the final record came into focus along the way." - The Edge, The Joshua Tree 2007

HEAR the voice of the Bard
Who present, past, and future, sees
Whose ears have heard
The Holy Word
That walk'd among the ancient trees

Calling the lapsed soul
And weeping in the evening dew
That might control
The starry pole
And fallen, fallen light renew

O Earth, O Earth, return
Arise from out the dewy grass
Night is worn
And the morn
Rises from the slumbrous mass

Turn away no more
Why wilt thou turn away
The starry floor
The watery shore
Is given thee till the break of day
Till the break of day
Till the break of day
Till the break of day

(The lyrics to this song are taken from the poem "Hear the Voice of the Bard" by William Blake)

It says The Edge, The Joshua Tree 2007.  What's with the date?  And why is the track on a release that came out in 2009?

Sorry if I missed something that is obvious or if this has been discussed before.  Just seems intriguing to me.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Re: Beautiful Ghost/Introduction To Songs Of Experience
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 08:41:45 AM »
That is interesting and I've never heard of the song.

I don't know if you know that Songs of Innocence and Experience is a collection of poems by William Blake, and our man has had a bee in his bonnet to do this project for decades. Honestly though this predates the first I had heard of his desire to do it, in the early 90s.

Offline BONO31

• Wanderer
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 10:32:23 AM »
It was recorded in 1987 but it was released in 2007 with the Joshua Tree first remastered.

"Songs of Innocence and Experience" is a title album that was floating around since then. "Achtung Baby", "Zooropa" and "Pop" were all entitled that way during their working process...

rockatansky

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 10:45:50 AM »

I don't know if you know that Songs of Innocence and Experience is a collection of poems by William Blake, and our man has had a bee in his bonnet to do this project for decades. Honestly though this predates the first I had heard of his desire to do it, in the early 90s.

I didn't know that about SOI and SOE but now it gives me a better history.  I like the William Blake connection.  I can't believe all the things I don't know about my favorite band for close to 40yrs. now.  The depth of U2 is amazing.  Thanks for pointing out this stuff to me!

rockatansky

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 10:49:06 AM »
It was recorded in 1987 but it was released in 2007 with the Joshua Tree first remastered.

"Songs of Innocence and Experience" is a title album that was floating around since then. "Achtung Baby", "Zooropa" and "Pop" were all entitled that way during their working process...

Awesome, that further explains things!  So much to learn from a band that I thought I was intimately familiar with for close to 40 yrs.  Excellent!

Offline GoldenStateGirl

• Stateless
  • As the moon spins around, I need your love
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 11:31:04 AM »

<Commits to using "bee in [his] bonnet" more often>

When my middle school aged son chose a William Blake poem (The Tiger/Tyger) to memorize for school last spring, my U2 loving and English Lit degree having heart nearly burst.  We rehearsed the heck out of that thing together.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NJ, NYC 3,Belfast 1,2
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 11:42:04 AM »

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 05:30:39 PM »
All these songs are on Spotify. It's a nice droning lullaby.

Offline davis

• Stateless
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 04:21:03 PM »
That Blake poem Bono recites on the track is called "Introduction to Songs of Experience" in his double collection: Songs of Innocence and Experience.  Hence the track title.  I would guess "Beautiful Ghost" was a working title or the title of Eno's musical track. 

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NJ, NYC 3,Belfast 1,2
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 05:24:39 PM »
That Blake poem Bono recites on the track is called "Introduction to Songs of Experience" in his double collection: Songs of Innocence and Experience.  Hence the track title.  I would guess "Beautiful Ghost" was a working title or the title of Eno's musical track. 

The whole thing sounds like a copy and paste job. Though I like Eno's work tremendously, some of his material doesn't date well.

Offline 64ac30

• Refugee
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 09:12:06 PM »
Hey, city of blinding lights came from Pop. Every breaking wave is from no line on the horizon.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 09:15:58 PM »
Hey, city of blinding lights came from Pop. Every breaking wave is from no line on the horizon.

I didn't know COBL was from Pop, wow.

And that doesn't help my opinion of HTDAAB.

rockatansky

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 07:06:24 AM »

I didn't know COBL was from Pop, wow.

And that doesn't help my opinion of HTDAAB.

I view Atomic Bomb not as a cohesive album but an album of individual songs.  If you treat it that way, a collection of songs, instead of a cohesive album, you will find it makes more sense.  I wrote this in the Atomic Bomb thread but I don't think anybody read it or paid attention to what I wrote:

A review I read, said the album should be viewed as I described above, with each individual song having a theme, as opposed to the album having a theme.  Examples:

God - Yahweh
Love - A Man and a Woman
Birth - Original of the Species
Death - Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own
War - Love and Peace or Else
Peace - City of Blinding Lights

This is actually not unique for U2.  In some way, I view TJT this way. Yes, I wrote TJT.

I think Atomic Bomb is a decent album.  Not U2's greatest or their worst.  To me, maybe somewhere in-between.

Just thought I write this again (re: HTDAAB thread) since I know the album was not a pleasant experience for you.  I'm not trying to force my opinion on you.  Just wanted to project another way to address the album if you are still having doubts about it.  And also because I feel no one paid attention to what I wrote in the original Atomic Bomb thread.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 08:22:19 AM »
I saw what you wrote and filed it away for the future.

I'm probably going to have to - sigh - work on Bomb soon. Nearly done with NLOTH.

rockatansky

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2018, 09:00:15 AM »
I saw what you wrote and filed it away for the future.

I'm probably going to have to - sigh - work on Bomb soon. Nearly done with NLOTH.

Be sure to write up your final thoughts on NLOTH.  I know there was a thread started and followed it.  Want to know your final conclusions.