Author Topic: London 2  (Read 867 times)

Offline Sevy2016

• Babyface
London 2
« on: October 24, 2018, 05:13:54 PM »
Where do I begin?

This was my 11th time seeing U2 and the first time I went on my own.

I loved it.

I got my ticket (seated behind the main stage) last week through scarlet mist.
I urge you all to register a fantastic way to buy tickets for gigs at nothing more than face value.I got two inner circle tickets to see the stones at Hyde park through it but that’s another story..

I met Tanya (ticket owner) and her sister before the show, huge fans since 84 I’ll upload photos of their visit to windmill lane to meet their idols - a truly amazing experience and story and very apt for this tour.

The first half of the set is fantastic, maybe the most fun I’ve had at a show, acrobat and stay beautiful to hear in person.

New Year’s Day should be rereleased under a new guise the arrangement is outstanding.

Lots more tomorrow but a very satisfied fan tonight.

Offline Marwood

• Stateless
Re: London 2
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 04:49:38 AM »
I had a great time, although there were far too many people trying to film big swathes of the show rather than just watching it (and exactly how many times are they going to watch those dodgily shot clips with shonky sound?) - by all means take a couple of pictures but don't spend the bulk of a show watching it through a phone/camera screen, also blocking the views of people stood behind you.

I was pretty happy with last nights setlist, would have liked some more stuff from October and TUF, but happy with the amount of AB songs - have to admit it seemed strange to go through the whole show and not hear a single song from TJT. One minor gripe- as they only played for just over two hours - rather than the music played while everyone waited for the main show (which was far too quiet if it was supposed to be a warm-up): couldn't they have got a support band/artiste to start things off?

Offline Conor74

• Wanderer
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 05:56:37 AM »
I really enjoyed it. Maybe it didn't get me quite as buzzed as I&E at the same venue 3 years ago - but that (I think) is probably due to the fact that the whole barricage thing was new and totally innovative back then - we hadn't seen anything like it.

My wife and I had unbelievably good seats right by the e-stage but just off-centre so we had a stunning view of the big screen - I was really surprised, considering they weren't top price seats.

I did think Bono was looking tired and sweaty - think he told a fan earlier in the day that he had a virus - it didn't affect his performance but overall I thought the band looked like they needed a good, long break after this tour wraps.

Oh and it was great to finally see the whole production - I was at the infamous Berlin 2 show that never was.... 

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 06:50:22 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I really enjoyed it. Maybe it didn't get me quite as buzzed as I&E at the same venue 3 years ago - but that (I think) is probably due to the fact that the whole barricage thing was new and totally innovative back then - we hadn't seen anything like it.

My wife and I had unbelievably good seats right by the e-stage but just off-centre so we had a stunning view of the big screen - I was really surprised, considering they weren't top price seats.

I did think Bono was looking tired and sweaty - think he told a fan earlier in the day that he had a virus - it didn't affect his performance but overall I thought the band looked like they needed a good, long break after this tour wraps.

Oh and it was great to finally see the whole production - I was at the infamous Berlin 2 show that never was....
I've got the feeling it will be the famous show that's the best of the tour :)

Offline Marwood

• Stateless
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 07:15:42 AM »
Can I also say that Stay (Faraway, So Close!) sounded absolutely immense last night - I've never particularly been a big fan of it in the past, but last night everything about it really hit the mark (Acrobat was nearly as awesome too).
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 09:16:48 AM by Marwood »

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 07:31:46 AM »
I don't know what kind of superpower Bono has to light up the stage while under the weather. Singing aside, I don't even want to run into anyone at the post office if I have a cold. I certainly can't imagine being a conduit for 20,000 (or 80,000) people on stage. And you know he's performed sick - he doesn't cancel unless he literally has no voice at all.

I have to say, though, to observe that he was sweaty... lol. It's Bono on stage. He sweats there. It's why we love him.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 05:57:50 AM »
When in Manchester, I noted that Bono was looking a little sweaty quite early on in the proceedings.
'Oooh' I thought, as a tingle ran through my body.
Now I think that if the sweating was brought on by a viral infection more than just giving it everything on stage then I think a) how great is that in that he can go through a show whilst under the weather (a man who doesn't have man flu - and this makes him almost superhuman) and b) he needs a rest after this tour so that when he is well, he is a gift that keeps on giving.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 07:27:59 AM »
To your point 1 - Bono is not the man-flu type. If he has the FLU-flu, he probably says "it's just a cold." He has no patience for the infirmaries and limitations of his body.

To your point 2 - we are so altruistic... "Rest and get better SO YOU CAN GIVE SOME MOOOOORE."

Offline Tortuga

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 10:57:31 PM »
To your point 1 - Bono is not the man-flu type. If he has the FLU-flu, he probably says "it's just a cold." He has no patience for the infirmaries and limitations of his body.

To your point 2 - we are so altruistic... "Rest and get better SO YOU CAN GIVE SOME MOOOOORE."

Well, to be fair,  he’s not exactly giving anything away.  He is paid very well for what he is doing.  I have to struggle through work when I’m sick and I’m paid very little by comparison.  (Not that I’m complaining.) I would fight my illness pretty hard to be paid what he is for that one night’s work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 06:59:07 AM »
There's a difference between me working with a cold - making phone calls, writing emails, reviewing people's tasks - and a performer doing the same, whether it's Bono leaving everything he's got on the stage or an athlete leaving it all on the field.

Top performers kill themselves every time.

Me? I write emails. Sometimes my emails are kind of nice.

Offline Tortuga

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 07:34:43 AM »
There's a difference between me working with a cold - making phone calls, writing emails, reviewing people's tasks - and a performer doing the same, whether it's Bono leaving everything he's got on the stage or an athlete leaving it all on the field.

Top performers kill themselves every time.

Me? I write emails. Sometimes my emails are kind of nice.

You’re right. I guess I was just trying to bring some perspective on the real heroes of everyday life.  Construction workers working hard in the elements that can’t afford to take an 8-hour day off.  I think Bono would probably agree.  Reminds me of the song “Let the Day Begin”.  Thanks.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2018, 08:05:54 AM »
I LOVE 'Let The Day Begin' by The Call.

At Manchester 1, Bono called out that they weren't the real heroes.  They were the firefighters, nurses and teachers. 
To loud cheers.

Offline Tortuga

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2018, 10:06:15 AM »
Another point of interest around the late great band “The Call”, Bono sings backing vocals on the song “What’s Happened to You”.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2018, 12:04:09 AM »
London 2 was good but London 1 Edges it for me. Belfast 1 best for me so far though.

rockatansky

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2018, 07:47:50 AM »
Sorry, I don't know anything about the London show.  But a good shout out in this thread about the band The Call.  I was fortunate to see them live in Dallas, Tx., in 1987.  It was a small outdoor get-together in Dallas' West End.  Most of the people there were clueless about the band.  They played the classics: The Walls Came Down, Everywhere I Go, I Still Believe (Great Design) etc..  They were fantastic and I was able to get right in front of the band because of the venue's openness.  A night I won't forget.

Excellent call out especially on Let The Day Begin. They didn't play that song since it hadn't come out yet.  Thanks for the YouTube link to that song, it's fantastic.  Also, didn't know about Bono singing back up vocals on What's Happened To You.  Thanks for the link to that.

Michael Been was the heart of The Call.  He died in 2010 while working as a sound engineer for his son's band Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.  I love BRMC.  His son's name is Robert Been.  I also saw BRMC live when they were just starting out in Dallas at a small night club. Sometime around 2001.  I remember the music being more in the shoegaze style with droning, feedback laden guitars.  It was a unique experience.  BRMC has gotten to be a lot more accessible over time.

It's cool to see others here recognize The Call.  A great band that will always have special memories to me.