Author Topic: London 2  (Read 868 times)

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
Re: London 2
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2018, 07:53:44 PM »
Yes, "The Call" certainly has a unique sound that has aged well.  I listened to "Reconciled" a lot in the '80's and went back to it recently.  Michael Been's voice and lyrics were really one of a kind--very stark and compelling.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2018, 06:11:03 AM »
Yes there were the links with Bono and The Call, which is what alerted me to The Call.  Great band that I never saw live.  I have seen BRMC live and I know people who couldn't handle it because they said the performance was 'intense'.
They played on a dark stage, the sound was very loud and there was a lot of strobe lighting.  BRMC are one of the best live shows I've seen. I'm sure BRMC have supported U2.
RIP to Michael Been.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 06:14:10 AM by 73October »

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2018, 07:43:52 PM »
Michael Been's lyrics and message seem rather prophetic today.  I'm thinking of his general message of truth being suppressed.

Offline Tortuga

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2018, 05:28:08 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Michael Been's lyrics and message seem rather prophetic today.  I'm thinking of his general message of truth being suppressed.

Yes.  Listen to the track “Become America”.  I’ll give you a hint.  The chorus is “when will America become America?”

The Call toured with Simple Minds and Peter Gabriel, who were both fans of the Call.  The Call also hung with various members of “The Band”...Garth Hudson and Robbie Robertson.  Daniel Lanois produced Robbie Robertson and Peter Gabriel.  So when you look at liner notes and read on the internet you see where the connections came from.  Peter Gabriel also contributed to The Call albums.

The Call was an interesting combination of rootsy “the band”-like American music and the anthemic spiritually tinged European acts like U2 and SM.  They were a little older and musically more conventional than U2/Peter Gabriel/SM but Tom Ferrier could play anything on guitar and turned out atmospheric echo-laden soundscapes as well as more organic blues.  He was much like Charlie Burchill in that regard where Edge has alway been more of a one-trick pony (not that there’s anything wrong with that).

I saw the Call live once in their heyday, once after they had pretty much quit releasing albums, and a show they did after Michael Been died with his son Robert (BRMC) standing in for him.  There is a DVD/CD out for that show.
A great band for sure.  Any U2 fan should check them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockatansky

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2018, 07:09:23 AM »
Yes! One thing that always drew me to The Call was the "spiritual - I still believe" strength of their music and that they could pull of that whole anthemic thing.  I knew about the Robbie Robertson and Peter Gabriel connections.  I highly recommend Robertson's self titled solo album put out in 1986.  Lanois produced that album.  U2 and Peter Gabriel were guests on it.  Well, worth a listen.

Here's Robbie Robertson and Bono trading vocals on Sweet Fire Of Love:

And every U2 fan should have a copy of this Call album:

« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 07:30:28 AM by rockatansky »

Offline Tortuga

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2018, 01:20:34 PM »
Yes! One thing that always drew me to The Call was the "spiritual - I still believe" strength of their music and that they could pull of that whole anthemic thing.  I knew about the Robbie Robertson and Peter Gabriel connections.  I highly recommend Robertson's self titled solo album put out in 1986.  Lanois produced that album.  U2 and Peter Gabriel were guests on it.  Well, worth a listen.

Here's Robbie Robertson and Bono trading vocals on Sweet Fire Of Love:

And every U2 fan should have a copy of this Call album:

Also, The “Into the Woods” album had some Edge-like soundscapes.

“Reconciled” is a good place to start though and “Red Moon” was very strong but more of a shift to the more organic...piano instead of synth and more conventional guitar parts.  I guess “Let the Day Begin” was maybe the most “popular”.

Nice to run into a fellow Call fan.  Hopefully some others will give the old albums a spin.

One other note, Scott Musick from The Call has a solo release from a couple of years ago called Americana Gold.  Check it out, especially if you liked the more Americana side of The Call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk