Author Topic: Done Lurking  (Read 418 times)

Offline Moloch50

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Done Lurking
« on: October 25, 2018, 11:13:34 AM »
Hey there, I reckon it is time to stop lurking on the forum and start contributing.
Long time fan- back to the Dandelion in Dublin when we went to see school friends The Sussed play support to up & coming band U2 in the Dandelion Market one Saturday afternoon in 1979(?) 39 years!!- memory of Bono drawing face on his bare torso with lipstick! Proud owner of original U23 12 inch - I actually bought three, kept one,  gave one to my pal & swopped another with a guy in Denmark for a copy of Joy Division original Atmosphere on Sordide Sentimental. Have a number of signed singles & albums down the years.
Fallen in & out of love with the band over the years but keep coming back to an old friend.
Always get to U2 shows -travelling from Dub to Belfast for Saturday night as I missed out on Dublin tickets.
Probably older than the rest of you put together but still rockin in the free world!
Anto

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Re: Done Lurking
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 11:38:13 AM »
Holy crap. It's almost like you're a celebrity in your own right, having witnessed that.

Welcome, can't wait to hear your take on stuff.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NJ, NYC 3,Belfast 1,2
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 06:31:35 PM »
Come to the December gig after Belfast. Say hi!

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 07:38:56 PM »
There's a December gig?

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NJ, NYC 3,Belfast 1,2
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 08:54:35 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 09:15:58 PM »
Oh, I get it.

Hey, I'd be down for that.

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 01:02:43 AM »
Hey there, I reckon it is time to stop lurking on the forum and start contributing.
Long time fan- back to the Dandelion in Dublin when we went to see school friends The Sussed play support to up & coming band U2 in the Dandelion Market one Saturday afternoon in 1979(?) 39 years!!- memory of Bono drawing face on his bare torso with lipstick! Proud owner of original U23 12 inch - I actually bought three, kept one,  gave one to my pal & swopped another with a guy in Denmark for a copy of Joy Division original Atmosphere on Sordide Sentimental. Have a number of signed singles & albums down the years.
Fallen in & out of love with the band over the years but keep coming back to an old friend.
Always get to U2 shows -travelling from Dub to Belfast for Saturday night as I missed out on Dublin tickets.
Probably older than the rest of you put together but still rockin in the free world!
Anto
Wow, you saw them at the Dandelion? You saw a legend in the making! How did they come across back then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Moloch50

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 02:30:28 AM »
The Dandelion used to have all the Dublin bands (DC Nein, The Atrix, U2 etc) on for Saturday afternoon gigs & it was a big deal to get a support slot, so when our local punk band got a support we went along not knowing too much about the headliners. I had read about U2 in Hot Press so was interested to see them. Admission fee was 20 pence. To put into context, price of a pint was about 70 pence.
You have to remember this was an old warehouse with broken floor, leaking roof and makeshift stage.
The place was fairly full when U2 came on. I remember Bono Larry & Edge coming on from the side of the stage but Adam walking on from the front with his bass through the crowd.
I still remember songs like Street Mission & Cartoon World. Bono was even then the front man pulling up his t shirt to draw a face with  lipstick on his torso for Boy/Girl. I think he might have tried to get a girl up on stage for this as well but failed!
There was talk that U2 were going to be musical guest on The Late Late Show (Ireland's leading chat show) that night but after a wasted night in watching TV we realised that was only a  vicious rumour.
I saw the band a couple more times in the Dandelion and then more regulalry in clubs in town. I was 16/17 at the time so some venues (McGonagles) were stricter on age policy (over 18's only) while others you could walk into (The TV Club). Rapid progression with support from Fanning on the radio and Hot Press in print to playing  The National Stadium - not quite as grand as it sounds - it was Dublin's boxing venue that doubled up as a concert venue - which U2 hired for the launch of U23 and to impress visiting UK record labels.
Great times and fun memories!

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 07:14:04 AM »
WOW thanks for those details, that's amazing.

Offline Travis Henderson

• Babyface
  • What am I to do? What in the world am I to say?
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2018, 10:13:43 AM »
The Dandelion used to have all the Dublin bands (DC Nein, The Atrix, U2 etc) on for Saturday afternoon gigs & it was a big deal to get a support slot, so when our local punk band got a support we went along not knowing too much about the headliners. I had read about U2 in Hot Press so was interested to see them. Admission fee was 20 pence. To put into context, price of a pint was about 70 pence.
You have to remember this was an old warehouse with broken floor, leaking roof and makeshift stage.
The place was fairly full when U2 came on. I remember Bono Larry & Edge coming on from the side of the stage but Adam walking on from the front with his bass through the crowd.
I still remember songs like Street Mission & Cartoon World. Bono was even then the front man pulling up his t shirt to draw a face with  lipstick on his torso for Boy/Girl. I think he might have tried to get a girl up on stage for this as well but failed!
There was talk that U2 were going to be musical guest on The Late Late Show (Ireland's leading chat show) that night but after a wasted night in watching TV we realised that was only a  vicious rumour.
I saw the band a couple more times in the Dandelion and then more regulalry in clubs in town. I was 16/17 at the time so some venues (McGonagles) were stricter on age policy (over 18's only) while others you could walk into (The TV Club). Rapid progression with support from Fanning on the radio and Hot Press in print to playing  The National Stadium - not quite as grand as it sounds - it was Dublin's boxing venue that doubled up as a concert venue - which U2 hired for the launch of U23 and to impress visiting UK record labels.
Great times and fun memories!

Cool. Not many people know about cartoon world or street mission.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 10:27:17 AM »
I've heard OF those songs (how, I don't know) but never heard them until today. Very punk! People probably roll their eyes hard every time Bono flaps on about his punk roots, leaving him saying "no, guys, no really..." lol.

The SM video makes me feel really old because I could easily imagine those boy-os being my kids. And I died when Larry notices the camera. I have children close to his age.

I'm not going to talk about Bono's dancing. There, see how easy that was?