Author Topic: Peace on Earth (soundcheck)  (Read 195 times)

Offline BONO31

• Wanderer
Peace on Earth (soundcheck)
« on: October 28, 2018, 02:02:08 AM »
WoW, loOK what I found yesterday!!! I discovered this brillant version of "Peace on Earth. It was recorded during a soundcheck back in 2001. It's very rocking!!! Now, I want to hear it live!!!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Do you like it?

rockatansky

Re: Peace on Earth (soundcheck)
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 06:51:13 AM »
WoW, loOK what I found yesterday!!! I discovered this brillant version of "Peace on Earth. It was recorded during a soundcheck back in 2001. It's very rocking!!! Now, I want to hear it live!!!

Do you like it?

Good spot!  I like it a lot.  It's amazingly so different than the released the version.  The guitar on the soundcheck is fantastic - the way I like Edge to play.  I like it when Bono says - "I'm gonna try that second verse again".  Raw and gives insight on how the band develops songs. I wish I could understand some of the things that Bono says in the background. 

The released version is a nice laid back melody.  But, as you say this is rocking.  I always love the rocking part. According to U2.com it was played live a little over a dozen times, all in 2001.  I'll see if I can track down a decent live version.

Thanks for posting this!

rockatansky

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 07:12:50 AM »
I'm good at google, that's about it...   :(

I found this live version (where?) which sticks close to the released version.  But, Edge's guitar has that chiming sound that is his trademark.  It's a little more aggressive than the album version.

And this from e+i tour 2018 (guess U2.com was wrong).  Although the video doesn't seem to match audio.  It's a really mellow version.

And this.

And this.

Bottom line, from at least what I could find, they seem to stick to the mellow version when performing live.  I would LOVE to hear that soundcheck version played live.  That would be awesome.

Well, that's all I could find with my stupid googling. :-[   I checked my own archives but came up blank.

Offline BONO31

• Wanderer
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 10:44:15 AM »
I already heard those versions,
but I always felt fustrated
by the fact they didn’t play the full song...

rockatansky

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 11:17:24 AM »
Yeah figured you did after I put the post up.  Just my stupid googling getting out of control.  It was a waste of thread space...   :-[

Offline BONO31

• Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 01:17:30 PM »
Thank you for your research! ;)