Author Topic: Now playing:  (Read 1592 times)

Offline Karmamalaga

• Babyface
Re: Now playing:
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2018, 11:54:57 AM »
Stranger In A Strange Land

rockatansky

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2018, 07:03:56 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Stranger In A Strange Land

Awesome song, I love everything about October!

rockatansky

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2018, 08:07:35 AM »
I love this live version of New Year's Day performed during the Vertigo Tour, Chicago 2005.

Offline ToRontoRon

• Wanderer
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2018, 08:27:07 AM »
My favorite live version of The Fly...

YES!!!!!

The Edge just crushes it from the 4:02 to 4:42 mark of that video.  Can't tell you how many times I've watched that.  Almost as many as the Bad/40/Streets combo from the same show.  I love that Boston 2001 DVD.

rockatansky

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2018, 05:48:30 AM »
My favorite live version of The Fly...

YES!!!!!

The Edge just crushes it from the 4:02 to 4:42 mark of that video.  Can't tell you how many times I've watched that.  Almost as many as the Bad/40/Streets combo from the same show.  I love that Boston 2001 DVD.

Those 40 seconds are pure Edge guitar bliss.  He pulls out all of the stops, it cranks.  I also like the way the song starts out, seems unique to me in their playing live versions of The Fly.  I don't remember Bono singing that in the other live versions. 

I agree that the Boston 2001 Tour DVD is excellent.  I saw them on the same tour in Dallas but it wasn't anything like the Boston show.

rockatansky

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2018, 06:31:01 AM »
A Sort Of Homecoming

Opener to the wonderful Unforgettable Fire album.  A transformative album for U2 and one that has a very personal meaning to me.

Offline kevtn43

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2018, 07:28:52 AM »
Been re listening to how to dismantle a atomic bomb love this album especially really blasting out love and peace or else, and original species

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2018, 08:42:36 AM »
Springhill Mining Disaster

Been trying to see if I have a fave performance. So far they all have gems in them but I haven't found a slam dunk.

This one (audio only) involves Bono stopping the song to order the crowd to bring something back, dunno what:

Another has him stopping the song to chastise the audience for whistling. "I'm not in the f---ing Beatles." Man, he got grouchy a lot during this song.

That aside, it's a hell of a song and I'd love to find a performance, not even necessarily by U2, that I think killed it. I've tried Luke and The Dubliners but I'm biased, I like Bono's voice better.

It's very Irish. I don't know if it was written by an Irish person or Irish Canadian, but it's Irish. Very good lyrics. "Bone and blood are the price of coal." Also, "We have no water, light or bread, so we're livin' on songs and hope instead."

Those who love a lower register song have much to love here, these may be the lowest notes I've heard yer man hit.

rockatansky

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2018, 09:26:24 AM »
Springhill Mining Disaster

Been trying to see if I have a fave performance. So far they all have gems in them but I haven't found a slam dunk.

This one (audio only) involves Bono stopping the song to order the crowd to bring something back, dunno what:

Another has him stopping the song to chastise the audience for whistling. "I'm not in the f---ing Beatles." Man, he got grouchy a lot during this song.

That aside, it's a hell of a song and I'd love to find a performance, not even necessarily by U2, that I think killed it. I've tried Luke and The Dubliners but I'm biased, I like Bono's voice better.

It's very Irish. I don't know if it was written by an Irish person or Irish Canadian, but it's Irish. Very good lyrics. "Bone and blood are the price of coal." Also, "We have no water, light or bread, so we're livin' on songs and hope instead."

Those who love a lower register song have much to love here, these may be the lowest notes I've heard yer man hit.

Thanks for pointing out this song.  I've never heard of it before nor of U2 performing it.  I just listened to this version You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login which I'm sure you know about.  I think the audio version you posted has Bono singing with more strength than this one.

I listened to the one by Luke Kelly and The Dubliners but also prefer Bono's vocal over Kellys'.  Also, listened to a version by Martin Carthy - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login which again I'm sure you already listened to.. 

The U2 version seems to be the best.  Even though it's about Nova Scotia, it has that definite Irish feel to it.

I may have it wrong but it looks like Peggy Seeger wrote the song in the 60's.  She's American but lived in Britain for a long while.

Peggy Seeger

Here's Peggy Seeger playing the song

I like to google...

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2018, 09:54:05 AM »
That first link you posted, I also found yesterday and seems to be the most common YouTube clip of this song. I like it but felt the audio only version was better despite the interuption. But man, in that one Bono looks 20, not 27. Got his age 27 self possession though, plus the age 27 voice.

The first time I heard the song was when I was 13 and a friend of a friend, who I would not have thought knew I even existed, gave me a copy of the live in Chicago 1987 bootleg, my absolute first bootleg of any sort. He must have been a fan and heard I was, too. Those were the days (1990). I lost the tape a very long time ago (prolly by 1996) but suddenly got an urge to hear this song yesterday, but did not find the Chicago version, which was not necessarily any better than any of these others.

Oh, so an American wrote it. Well, still in the Irish style and apparently accepted by the Irish as such.

rockatansky

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2018, 09:59:52 AM »
I agree, even if she's American it definitely strikes me as an Irish folk song.  It's got that certain depth to it and the lyrics that make it so.  Thanks again for pointing the song out.  I really like it!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 10:03:15 AM by rockatansky »

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2018, 10:07:14 AM »
Lol, one of the YT comments on the video one says something like he's surprised Bono didn't instantly sprout an entire beard singing that. Indeed, he looks like a boy there but this rugged, almost pirate-y voice is growling out of his cherubic face.

Offline Karmamalaga

• Babyface
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2018, 07:46:27 AM »
Springhill Mining Disaster was performed when I first saw u2, June 6th 1987. I got it on my first bootleg, a double LP called Higher Ground.

Now Playing: Hawkmoon 269.

rockatansky

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2018, 09:25:34 AM »
So, you saw them in Gothenburg, that's cool!  I saw them the in Fort Worth, Texas on November 23rd and 24th.  The 24th had B.B. King performing.  I just checked the setlist (long ago) and they didn't play Springhill Mining Disaster as they did when you saw them.  I would have liked to see/hear that performance.  I need to start getting ahold of some bootlegs.  Don't have any.

Hawkmoon 269, is a favorite of mine.  Good listen.

rockatansky

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2018, 10:32:38 AM »
I love this live version of Out Of Control from the Elevation Tour at Slane Castle.  The crowd's reaction is awesome and Bono talking about the band when it got started. And this live version of a very important song to U2, kicks ass.