Author Topic: Invisible  (Read 587 times)

Offline TongueInMyEar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Love it won't be long....
Invisible
« on: October 30, 2018, 09:41:28 AM »
Any love for this song on the forum?

It's one I don't hear very much at all as I tend to listen to music on cd rather than mp3. But I decided to shuffle all my U2 music this week and Invisible was a pleasant surprise.

Always enjoyed it, love the Krautrock driving beat to it, some classic U2 sounds going on, and Bono's vocals at "They melt away your face like snow" is spine-tingling.

Is this an underappreciated song? Or ignored for good reason?

For me it should have been on SOI.

Offline 64ac30

• Refugee
Re: Invisible
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 10:30:13 AM »
Average song. Ruined by a terrible marching band live arrangement.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 11:38:01 AM »
I like the song but there isn't a really good recording of it.

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 12:38:49 PM »
I like ot when it comes after the alternate version of SLABT! But I'm not going for it, when I have to. If it was on SOE, while it wouldn't fit in theme, it would be one of the best

Offline Sunchild

• Stateless
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 01:12:07 PM »
One of their best songs ever, for me up there with One, City Of Blinding Lights, Pride, etc... Its simplicity is its power. It is very Ultravox or Pat Benatar, it is quite 80's in tone.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 07:52:41 AM by Sunchild »

Offline BONO31

• Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 01:15:12 PM »
One of my favorite U2 song! I’m sure this song comes from PoP era!

Offline zoo adam

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 03:35:11 PM »
Released out of the blue. As a stand alone single it was weak. I was underwhelmed.

Don't know if it was supposed to be on SOI. If so, it was wisely dropped. It perhaps prompted U2 to have a re think about SOI. Thankfully. An album full of pop/soft rock is a terrifying thought.

But don't hate the song.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 03:41:16 PM »
It's tied to SOI because it's about the early days getting ignored by the music industry in London.

Offline zoo adam

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 03:42:28 PM »
Invisible was released over 6 months before SOI. So plenty of time to change direction if the album was taking a soft rock route.

Although not sure why they would intially want to go down this route.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 03:44:05 PM by zoo adam »

Offline MrsZoo

• Wanderer
  • Midnight is where the day begins
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 06:04:42 PM »
This song would probably be in my top 10 U2 songs. “All those frozen days” to “face like snow” - simply beautiful. There is something gorgeous about the way Bono sings those lines.

Offline mrsamrocks2

• Numb
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 06:36:33 PM »
It is a great song and I really like the recording, but I agree with 64ac30 about the weak live arrangement.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2018, 12:07:48 AM »
I saw an interesting take once, I think from Matt Yglesias: If Invisible had been a huge success as a single, would U2 have taken a different, more aggressive approach to SOI?

Regardless, this is one of my favorite U2 songs, maybe top 10. U2 had a handful of Joy Division-ish icy-cold songs in the past decade or so, including Mercy, Disappearing Act, and Invisible. I absolutely love this aesthetic for them. It’s a pounding, warm heart surrounded by many layers of crystalline ice. I think they do it superbly well, especially Larry and Bono.

Offline TongueInMyEar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Love it won't be long....
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2018, 03:22:01 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I saw an interesting take once, I think from Matt Yglesias: If Invisible had been a huge success as a single, would U2 have taken a different, more aggressive approach to SOI?

Regardless, this is one of my favorite U2 songs, maybe top 10. U2 had a handful of Joy Division-ish icy-cold songs in the past decade or so, including Mercy, Disappearing Act, and Invisible. I absolutely love this aesthetic for them. It’s a pounding, warm heart surrounded by many layers of crystalline ice. I think they do it superbly well, especially Larry and Bono.

I probably couldn't place in my top 10, but it's still a stellar song. You're right about the Joy Division vibe. I get the same thing from NLOTH (album track) and I've always felt that was underappreciated too. I love the Kraftwerk influence coming through in these types of tracks.

I am quite surprised this wasn't a bigger hit for them. Maybe if it had actually been a lead single could have been different.

rockatansky

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2018, 06:19:24 AM »
With all due respect, I've been around rock music (and its numerous sub-genres) for close to sixty years now.  I've listened to Invisible numerous times.  I like the song but I feel it's a huge stretch to compare it to any of Joy Division's work.  I think Ian Curtis (who died of suicide in 1980) might turn over in his grave at the comparison. Maybe it's a little comparable to New Order which was the regrouping of Joy Division after their breakup.  But, I hardly think these comparisons hold much merit.

Again, I don't mean to step on anyone here.  It's just my opinion, for what it's worth.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NJ, NYC 3,Belfast 1,2
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2018, 06:21:55 AM »
I thought it was great during 2015. Sad they dropped it.