Author Topic: Invisible  (Read 589 times)

Offline zoo adam

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: Invisible
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2018, 07:11:45 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I saw an interesting take once, I think from Matt Yglesias: If Invisible had been a huge success as a single, would U2 have taken a different, more aggressive approach to SOI?

Regardless, this is one of my favorite U2 songs, maybe top 10. U2 had a handful of Joy Division-ish icy-cold songs in the past decade or so, including Mercy, Disappearing Act, and Invisible. I absolutely love this aesthetic for them. Its a pounding, warm heart surrounded by many layers of crystalline ice. I think they do it superbly well, especially Larry and Bono.

'More aggressive approach' if 'Invisible' was a success.

'Invisible is about as aggressive as 'Your the best thing'.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2018, 05:49:40 PM »
I find it quite underrated. It might probably sneak into my top 20 songs list of the 21st century.

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2018, 06:32:29 PM »
That riff is really good.  And the outro where the vocals follow it is awesome.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2018, 08:20:55 PM »
How do people feel about the register of the "there is no them" vocals?

In the studio recording, we get that in the lower register, which sounds very good. It sounds... personal, maybe, like it's just the two of us.

In a live version, he starts in the lower register, moves to a higher one, then goes all the way up. Not so intimate, but ups the urgency and passion. This way has a climax.

Which is better?

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2018, 03:51:51 AM »

In the studio recording, we get that in the lower register, which sounds very good. It sounds... personal, maybe, like it's just the two of us.

In a live version, he starts in the lower register, moves to a higher one, then goes all the way up. Not so intimate, but ups the urgency and passion. This way has a climax.

Which is better?
There are two types of U2: U2-live and U2-studio.

I like both for what it is

Offline BONO31

• Wanderer
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2018, 06:32:13 AM »
I saw an interesting take once, I think from Matt Yglesias: If Invisible had been a huge success as a single, would U2 have taken a different, more aggressive approach to SOI?
Well, if Invisible had been a huge success as a single, Songs of Innocence would be like "Sleep like a baby, tonight", "This is where you can reach me now", "The Trouble", "The Crystal Ballroom"... All those songs were produced by Danger Mouse alone, and are far better than the rest of the album (in my opinion). It's the more mystical side of the record.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2018, 07:50:47 AM »
Well, if Invisible had been a huge success as a single, Songs of Innocence would be like "Sleep like a baby, tonight", "This is where you can reach me now", "The Trouble", "The Crystal Ballroom"... All those songs were produced by Danger Mouse alone, and are far better than the rest of the album (in my opinion). It's the more mystical side of the record.

Totally agree -- I think this is spot-on.

rockatansky

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2018, 11:07:43 AM »

Which is better?

I'm not crazy about the song but if I were to choose, I like the live version better.  It has exactly what you described, urgency and passion.  That combination to me usually wins out.  But, it does come down to the song itself.  I find myself seeming to like live versions of U2 songs better than their studio versions.  This view just happened to me about a year ago.  I don't know why, other than the live version seems more "real" to me.

rockatansky

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2018, 11:18:31 AM »

Sigh...  I really miss Eno, Lanois and Lillywhite.

Offline BONO31

• Wanderer
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2018, 12:39:51 PM »

Soon! We'll have "Songs of Ascent" produced by Eno, Lanois and Lillywhite.

rockatansky

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2018, 12:44:27 PM »

Soon! We'll have "Songs of Ascent" produced by Eno, Lanois and Lillywhite.

Ahhhh... That's good news, didn't know that.  Thanks!

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2018, 12:53:35 PM »
Holding my breath in 3... 2... 1...

Offline BONO31

• Wanderer
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2018, 01:37:59 AM »
Holding my breath in 3... 2... 1...

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2018, 04:21:34 PM »
I like the song, but having it as one of my morning alarms doesn't do it any favors.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2018, 05:05:27 PM »
Change your alarm to a Sousa march. No point in killing a U2 song if you don't have to.