Author Topic: Bohemian Rhapsody movie  (Read 234 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Bohemian Rhapsody movie
« on: October 31, 2018, 09:22:32 PM »
I am not a big movie person and almost never see any in the theater. But I have to say, I'm excited for this one and might pay money to see it. Will have to check the rating - hopefully it'll be ok for my kid to come. She likes Queen pretty well herself. Now that I think of it, Queen is one of the few musical acts my whole family can agree on.

I'm seeing on the Internet that it's creating a significant amount of interest from a new generation. There are tons of reaction videos from younger people listening to Bohemian Rhapsody (the song) for the first time, and the reactions are very positive - with video comments in the same vein. I actually enjoyed watching a couple - weird, I know, but the guys (and yeah they all seem to be guys) who do them seem sweet and curious and enthusiastic.

I've only seen very quick cuts in the previews so I can't say how accurately the actors look and move but so far, so amazing! Freddy is going to be a hard role to play, but so far I am IMPRESSED with what I see. He seems to move and look like Freddy, and that's a tall order.

Anyone else excited?

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Re: Bohemian Rhapsody movie
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 08:42:41 PM »
Whoops, I blew it. Freddie, not Freddy. Sorry.

Offline daveyg

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 01:39:03 AM »
Few minor spoilers, so don't read if you're planning to go!

I went to see it last weekend, having got into them after seeing them at Live Aid.

As a movie on its own, it was watchable. But as a movie that's been years in preparation, and maybe May & Taylor hoping it'd be some kind of memorial and classic piece about Freddie, it fell short.

I wasn't expecting some x rated movie, but it was very very sanitised. I gave some insight as to Freddie's lifestyle, but it under done what he was like.

Actors were good, with one caveat. The actor playing John Deacon (Queen's bassist). Most likely got the job because he somewhat looks like Deacon. But he looks like he's never held a bass in his life. He may as well have been flung a fishing rod or the likes as it looks like he was "What am I supposed to be doing with this?" most of the time.

What I found most disappointing was it started and finished at Live Aid. Yes, it was probably Queen's most memorable gig, but they had six years of a career after that before Freddie died. I would have liked to have seen a bit more dialogue and development of his final years.

So in essence, the movie flies through how they met, gigging, putting together Bohemian Rhapsody (the song itself) and straight into a big chunk of the movie of them onstage at Live Aid, which, to be honest, most of us have seen at least once or twice already. (Oh there was a severe lack of U2 flags in the crowd in the movie too!!)

Finally, I did like the attention to detail on the Live Aid bit. The Pepsi cups and beer on the piano. Freddie fiddling with the volume on the piano as he would have done originally. And the grey haired guy holding the cable for the on stage camera looks identical to the original guy (there was in fact a smile or something between Freddie and him in the original Live Aid footage - not sure if the cable guy was in the way or something but Freddie seemed to smile at him and nod)

Anyway, my two cents

rockatansky

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 08:30:16 AM »
Bohemian Rhapsody took #1 movie in the box office this weekend.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Online BlueSquirrel

• Stateless
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 04:45:41 PM »
What I found most disappointing was it started and finished at Live Aid. Yes, it was probably Queen's most memorable gig, but they had six years of a career after that before Freddie died. I would have liked to have seen a bit more dialogue and development of his final years.

I totally agree with you. It's still an entertaining enough film, though. But I wished some more episodes had been included before and after Live Aid (don't want to be more specific as I don't want to spoil the story here).

Overall some things in the film are a little strange - for instance the way Brian May is pictured as a complete nobody before he met Mercury which is not completely logical as May did open for stars like Jimi Hendrix, Yes, Pink Floyd and T-Rex with former bands. Still an entertaining movie for a Saturday night and quite moving on the whole...

« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 05:06:08 PM by BlueSquirrel »

Offline noelle510

• Refugee
  • Anytime you're on the earth...is kissing time
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 02:40:01 PM »
I liked it over all. We saw it in some sort of enhanced movie theatre so the sound and visuals were good. I hope it introduces younger people to Queen and that they will want to explore their music. It's really hard to make a perfect 2 or so hours film about a band, I think it was worth seeing.