Author Topic: The Boy Tour  (Read 462 times)

Offline 64ac30

• Refugee
The Boy Tour
« on: November 01, 2018, 05:32:33 PM »
Imagine itís 2020. 40 years since the release of Boy. Forget Achtung Baby, they play that record every tour. No, itís the boy tour. 4 guys on a basic stripped stage in arenas. Just a flat rectangle.  No b stage, no catwalk, no crazy expanding video screen. Just like the old days when they played clubs. A sign that says ďu2Ē dangles above them. They could do the whole album Boy front to back. Larry walks out on stage and starts drumming to I will follow. The others follow and the song takes off. Boy ends, ending the first set...they enter manhood. Set 2 opens with breathe, gone, vertigo, sometimes you canít make it on your own, drowning man, Sunday Bloody Sunday, kite and Little things that give you away. Encore opens with Streets, One, with or without youand ends with Moment of surrender

Yes or no to a ďboy tourĒ? Or maybe they do residencies for 1.5 weeks a city inside an actual club

PS : donít worry, Iím not a u2 employee getting opinions for the future ;)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 05:37:32 PM by 64ac30 »

Offline Tortuga

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: The Boy Tour
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 06:14:52 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Imagine itís 2020. 40 years since the release of Boy. Forget Achtung Baby, they play that record every tour. No, itís the boy tour. 4 guys on a basic stripped stage in arenas. Just a flat rectangle.  No b stage, no catwalk, no crazy expanding video screen. Just like the old days when they played clubs. A sign that says ďu2Ē dangles above them. They could do the whole album Boy front to back. Larry walks out on stage and starts drumming to I will follow. The others follow and the song takes off. Boy ends, ending the first set...they enter manhood. Set 2 opens with breathe, gone, vertigo, sometimes you canít make it on your own, drowning man, Sunday Bloody Sunday, kite and Little things that give you away. Encore opens with Streets, One, with or without youand ends with Moment of surrender

Yes or no to a ďboy tourĒ? Or maybe they do residencies for 1.5 weeks a city inside an actual club

I definitely like the idea of no visual gimmickery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NJ, NYC 3,Belfast 1,2
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 06:52:01 PM »
A boy/man idea might work.

Offline Tortuga

• Headache in a Suitcase
The Boy Tour
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 06:14:55 AM »

Isnít that what the last two tours were about?  Time to move on.  New topic.

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 06:34:58 AM »
Good point! Interesting is: what will be their new topic?

Isnít that what the last two tours were about?  Time to move on.  New topic.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 01:32:57 PM »

I'm not sure they could play arenas just playing the Boy album. The concert would last on average only about 45 minutes. Would people really pay an average of $130 dollars to see a 45 minute show of just one album? Boy is also one of the least popular U2 albums in the catalog. It was essentially a failure commercially when it came out only selling about 200,000 copies worldwide. Its only in the decades since that time that it has gone on to sell about 3 million copies.

It would probably work in theaters, but does U2 really want to spend a year in 2020 or 2021 playing theaters across the world for their first album?

I seriously doubt this would ever happen. The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 was abnormal for U2 and most likely a one off in terms of nostalgia. There is a small chance for Achtung Baby/ZOO TV tour in 2022 for the 30th anniversery, but I'd say even that is highly unlikely. U2 is a band of the present and the future. They enjoy and are far more interested in NEW MUSIC.

So in all probability, the next album will be Songs Of Ascent released in 2021 or 2022 followed by a full scale tour to support it. The Joshua Tree Tour in 2017 was a one off and they are unlikely to ever do that again with any of their old albums.

Offline Tortuga

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 08:19:21 PM »

I'm not sure they could play arenas just playing the Boy album. The concert would last on average only about 45 minutes. Would people really pay an average of $130 dollars to see a 45 minute show of just one album? Boy is also one of the least popular U2 albums in the catalog. It was essentially a failure commercially when it came out only selling about 200,000 copies worldwide. Its only in the decades since that time that it has gone on to sell about 3 million copies.

It would probably work in theaters, but does U2 really want to spend a year in 2020 or 2021 playing theaters across the world for their first album?

I seriously doubt this would ever happen. The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 was abnormal for U2 and most likely a one off in terms of nostalgia. There is a small chance for Achtung Baby/ZOO TV tour in 2022 for the 30th anniversery, but I'd say even that is highly unlikely. U2 is a band of the present and the future. They enjoy and are far more interested in NEW MUSIC.

So in all probability, the next album will be Songs Of Ascent released in 2021 or 2022 followed by a full scale tour to support it. The Joshua Tree Tour in 2017 was a one off and they are unlikely to ever do that again with any of their old albums.

I seriously hope they donít release any more albums titled ďsongs of....Ē.

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 01:58:15 PM »
This would be my dream tour. At their core, these 4 guys make some amazing noise - don't need screens, McPhisto or virtual reality.

Offline Tortuga

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 05:49:59 PM »
This would be my dream tour. At their core, these 4 guys make some amazing noise - don't need screens, McPhisto or virtual reality.

Amen!!!!

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 06:23:30 PM »

I seriously hope they donít release any more albums titled ďsongs of....Ē.

I do. Its the third album of a trilogy and will likely be the best album. They need an album to place songs like MERCY and WINTER on. I'd love an album of 10 to 12 songs similar to both MERCY and WINTER. Those two songs are in my top 20 U2 songs of all time and they have never been officially released in a final form or placed on a studio album yet.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 06:36:12 PM »

A SATISFACTORY AMOUNT OF NOISE is my actual description of their first three albums, particularly October.

Offline Boba Fett

• Wanderer
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 06:59:50 PM »

Did you not read the post properly? Boy would only be the first set - much like TJT anniversary tour...

Offline LToy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 11:52:08 PM »
I would be interested if there were 2 changes to the overall setlist. A) Instead of playing the entire BOY album for the first set, I would prefer a combo platter from the BOY & OCTOBER albums for the first set. B) Iím okay with the 2nd set + the encore, except for Sunday Bloody Sunday. I would prefer a different song altogether from either WAR or UNFORGETTABLE FIRE that has NOT been performed in the last 25 years.

rockatansky

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2018, 07:37:44 AM »

Boy was hardly a failure.  It was their "in" and set the way forward for them.  Without Boy, there probably would be no U2.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2018, 08:42:42 AM »

Boy was hardly a failure.  It was their "in" and set the way forward for them.  Without Boy, there probably would be no U2.

Initially for the record company it was, but they believed in U2 and were willing to give them more chances. Had War only sold what Boy and October did, record company support for the 4th album would have been cut and would have likely failed. U2 would not have been resigned and there for would no longer have a record deal. The first contract was for four albums. War was a make or break album for U2 given the commercial failure of the first two albums.