Author Topic: When can we expect the next U2 album?  (Read 638 times)

Offline HertfordshireU2

• Stranger in a Strange Land
When can we expect the next U2 album?
« on: November 07, 2018, 06:53:21 AM »
As, we come to the end of another tour. We start reflecting on when our band will come back. I know there is talk of retirement, but after going to a number of European shows, I think there is a lot left in the U2 engine yet. I know I may have answered my own question - but I think it will be September to December 2021, failing that March 2022, that they come back with a new release. They need some time off and writing and recording a U2 album takes time (as we know from past experiences!). They also need the North American market to recover for them, following the poor sales in some cities.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 06:58:31 AM by HertfordshireU2 »

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Re: When can we expect the next U2 album?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 07:50:42 AM »
I have a similar timeframe in mind, though I'm hoping for earlier in 2021.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 08:51:36 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
As, we come to the end of another tour. We start reflecting on when our band will come back. I know there is talk of retirement, but after going to a number of European shows, I think there is a lot left in the U2 engine yet. I know I may have answered my own question - but I think it will be September to December 2021, failing that March 2022, that they come back with a new release. They need some time off and writing and recording a U2 album takes time (as we know from past experiences!). They also need the North American market to recover for them, following the poor sales in some cities.

I think you are right on the money. Don't worry about the retirement talk. That's just ageism. The members of U2 are like Sting. Sting says he will NEVER retire.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 09:00:39 AM »
I have a similar timeframe in mind, though I'm hoping for earlier in 2021.

That would suggest a tour in 2021 which I think would be a little early for that. Having four years off from playing various cities should have peoples appetite for more U2 at peak levels. Waiting longer than that would not improve things and may even gradually start to erode demand if the break is too long.

Hopefully the whole fan base returns and is not too busy being married with children at ages 45 to 60, the age group probably 80% of U2 fans will be in, in 2022.

There is always the chance that U2 could have one last hit song that will bring some young fans in, but its unlikely given the changes in music, the fact that rock music is not very popular anymore, and discrimination because of the bands age in an industry where hit makers have average ages of about 27.

Offline HertfordshireU2

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 01:44:34 PM »
Wons, I don’t think U2 will ever retire - these are questions posed to all people at the age our lads are at. They have always been in it for the long haul.

As U2 have lost that degree of being relevant now. I am hoping that on the next tour they play to their diehard fans and include songs such Twilight, Tomorrow, Rejoice, Surrender, Wire in the setlists.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 02:05:25 PM »
- these are questions posed to all people at the age our lads are at.

That in itself is the definition of ageism. I think its outrages that someone like Larry at 57 is being asked about retirement when Clint Eastwood at age 88 is still acting, directing and producing movies. Retirement is a 20th century concept. It did not exist before then.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 02:24:48 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 05:49:04 PM »
Well then stop mentioning U2 and retirement together.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 01:54:15 AM »
I'm not convinced there will be any more original offerings. There's no denying that the boys have worked as hard over the past 4yrs as they have since the early 90's, but the albums they've released have not gained any real traction, despite them being so much better than a band that has been around for so long has a right to produce.

My guess is that we may see an Achtung @30 tour. My hope is that we get to hear Songs of Ascent.

Offline daveyg

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 08:45:58 AM »
I'm not convinced there will be any more original offerings. There's no denying that the boys have worked as hard over the past 4yrs as they have since the early 90's, but the albums they've released have not gained any real traction, despite them being so much better than a band that has been around for so long has a right to produce.

My guess is that we may see an Achtung @30 tour. My hope is that we get to hear Songs of Ascent.

I agree with you on this. I'm hoping Songs of Ascent hasn't been basically folded into SoI/SoE albums, and they feel they're left scrambling to get another "Songs of" album out that hasn't really been worked on.

What we know what will happen is that it'll get very quiet on the U2 front. The occasional Bono photo in NY or on a boat on the south of France. Might get snippets of news like mabe Larry might be extending his house, or Adam's changed his taste in herbal tea.

Not convinced they'll do an AB30 tour, but if they do, it won't be full hog ZooTV.

They'll all take well earned breaks once Berlin 2.5 wraps up. Bono and Edge probably have already a heap of songs they might try tidy up, or string a few chords together. I don't think anything will be rushed.

I have a feeling we might get another NLOTH/360 -> SoI wait, if not longer, this time.

Offline BONO31

• Wanderer
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 09:49:26 AM »
I feel like the band will release "Songs of Ascent" in 2019 to close the trilogy.
Then, there'll be a short tour in 2020.

If you read carefully the last article about the band (in the Irish Independent), Bono's already talking about it in a way.
For those who're interested by what Bono said, here it is:

"You can't approach the subject of God without metaphor, the scriptures open up and you start to see. You have the fabulism and the creation myth - beautiful, the poetry of it. Or some of the Old testament books, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs. You see the power of John, John's Gospel. You see Paul, a proper f****** p****; he held Stephen's coat when he was being stoned... And this is the guy who falls off his horse, etc... has his Damascene experience, writes this ode of love, and some of the most beautiful writing of exhortation we have, and some of it while he's in prison"

I've got faith "Songs of Ascent" will come very soon.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 09:57:58 AM by BONO31 »

Offline Sunchild

• Stateless
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 10:05:45 AM »
Innocence and experience always has a third part, that's just part of life. Theres a birth or introduction, then experience, and then resolution/elevation/ascension. There's light first, then darkness, then a marriage of both along with all colors of the rainbow, that's an ascension. The first two are an aspect of duality, the third is oneness, meaning absorbing both light and dark as one. Considering that each decade U2 have been making albums as trilogies in terms of sound or theme... they might conlude these two as well. Something would feel incomplete, especially with these two albums, where's the embracing and learning, where's the resolution and release. Something would be deeply missing.

This is a reflection of things happening now (ie. political), one side is battling the other side, is there a point when one side (light) embraces, stops judging and finds beauty of the other side (dark)? That's the real test of onenness, that's an ascension. Maybe once Bono and boys can do it, then that 3rd album becomes a reality. Ascension might be the ultimate goal in life, our consciousness creates a reality, and it does change the minds of others. Let us find that ascension. Whether the 3rd album happens may depend only on us people now, once we surrender and stop condemning darkness and welcome it into our homes and show it love.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 01:38:53 AM by Sunchild »

Offline BONO31

• Wanderer
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 10:40:23 AM »
Innocence and experience always has a third part, that's just part of life. Theres a birth or introduction, then experience, and then resolution/elevation/ascension. There's light first, then darkness, then a marriage of both along with all colors of the rainbow, that's an ascension. The first two are an aspect of duality, the third is oneness, meaning absorbing both light and dark as one. Considering that each decade U2 have been making albums as trilogies in terms of sound or theme... they might conlude these two as well. Something would feel incomplete, especially with these two albums, where's the embracing and learning, where's the resolution and release. Something would be deeply missing.
Totally agree, U2 will stick to the plan ;)

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2018, 06:35:30 PM »

This is the theory that the band lose interest because so much of the fanbase is losing interest. With this theory though, I think the band would still record and tour, even if they could only fill theaters. Why stop doing what you love just because your not playing to 79,000 people every night anymore?

Offline kevtn43

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2018, 01:29:21 PM »
I definitely don't think that they are retiring or anything like that but i do believe I they will take some time off next year for vacation ,i think that there will be a new album sometime 2020 i hope and a new tour to follow