Author Topic: Simple Minds  (Read 241 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
Simple Minds
« on: November 09, 2018, 12:13:33 PM »
I listened to the first few songs from their latest album. Nothing stood out, all seemed MOR. I'm not against some MOR stuff but please suggest something with a little more teeth to grab onto.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
Simple Minds
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 03:54:48 PM »
Just keep working on!

Skip Magic.  That’s the boring single.

Try sense of discovery, signal and the noise, utopia.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: Simple Minds
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 09:24:16 AM »
Laogohaire:

By MOR, do you mean “sounds like all the other adult contemporary and doesn’t rock enough” or do you mean “mediocre”.  If you mean the former, I can’t make a real strong argument...except to say where SM has always stood out has been Charlie Burchill’s ability to seamlessly move between Edge/Johnny Buckland style soundscape stuff and and beautiful, fairly technical traditional solos.  Not something you hear from Coldplay or U2 or Snow Patrol.  Listen to See the Lights.

Mainly though I’m pulled in by the words and melodies, which to me, are not MOR in any sense of the term.

Hope you eventually find it rewarding.  If not keep searching.  So much great music out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
Re: Simple Minds
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 09:41:40 AM »
Yeah, the former, but that's not a death knell. I just have to find something to dig into. If the lyrics are good, I'll check them out.

I have many instances of not caring for a song the first five or ten times. Don't know if that's common or not. My husband says he can't relate; he knows immediately if he likes a song or not.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
Simple Minds
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 10:15:40 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yeah, the former, but that's not a death knell. I just have to find something to dig into. If the lyrics are good, I'll check them out.

I have many instances of not caring for a song the first five or ten times. Don't know if that's common or not. My husband says he can't relate; he knows immediately if he likes a song or not.

I don’t know about your husband but casual music listeners know whether or not they like it first listen because they never give it a second chance.  Its a self-fulfilling prophecy.  I’ve gotten so much enjoyment from music that it took 10 or 15 listens to get into.  People not that into music think it sounds ridiculous.  And it is for them.

If I like it first listen I’ll be sick of it by 3rd!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk