Author Topic: More shows next year ?  (Read 3631 times)

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
Re: More shows next year ?
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2018, 03:04:44 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Oh I'd love to see them top 27 shows...

If they did 27 shows of all three tours it still wouldn't atone for 8 years of neglect of OZ.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2018, 03:15:34 PM »

If they did 27 shows of all three tours it still wouldn't atone for 8 years of neglect of OZ.

Longer breaks from touring OZ is the norm for U2 during their career. OZ, is not guaranteed a tour for every album. It was 8 years between the POPMART shows in 1998 and the Vertigo Tour shows in 2006. Thing is though, it might be 2023 before they make it down to OZ now, and that would be 13 years away.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2018, 07:27:20 AM »
The website U2start is saying the U2 road crew has been asked to make time commitment from August to December 2019, possibly for an Australian/New Zealand tour. This was posted on interference.com forum.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2018, 08:04:31 AM »
Good luck to Australia, you deserve some U2 dates.

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2018, 10:17:04 AM »
Im count my self very lucky too be able too see them as i live in UK the guys down under cant just hop on EasyJet for £60 they well deserve some shows it will be Stadiums if it happens good luck guys only time will tell

Offline Pouakai

• Stateless
  • I went walking, down that old eight-lane
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2018, 02:17:08 PM »

Longer breaks from touring OZ is the norm for U2 during their career. OZ, is not guaranteed a tour for every album. It was 8 years between the POPMART shows in 1998 and the Vertigo Tour shows in 2006. Thing is though, it might be 2023 before they make it down to OZ now, and that would be 13 years away.

That was only one tour (Elevation) though, there's been three tours that we've missed out on though. I got into U2 at the tail end of 360 and haven't had a chance to go see them yet, which really sucks

Offline bonolarryedgeadam

• Babyface
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2018, 03:02:06 PM »
It appears as if there is a good chance that Australia and possible Asia  will see u2 in late 2019 through some of 2020.   I could see these shows having setlists similar to the one they performed at Dreamfest a few years ago with a few SOE songs subbed in. So r wouldn’t necessarily be TJT 30 or E+I, but rather a greatest hits*SOE

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2018, 04:12:02 PM »
So lets talk about WHERE this tour could possibly visit, and how many shows?  Assuming it'll be in stadiums.

Auckland x2
Sydney x2
Melbourne x2
Perth x2
Adelaide
Brisbane (not sure if they'll do 2 shows here, the 2nd one in 2010 didn't sell very well)
Japan x2

That's 12 shows.  Where else?  Coldplay did Bangkok, Taipei, Singapore, Manila, Seoul, Tokyo, Mumbai and Dubai on their Asian Tour, in stadiums/stadium sized venues. 

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2018, 05:32:30 PM »
So lets talk about WHERE this tour could possibly visit, and how many shows?  Assuming it'll be in stadiums.

Auckland x2
Sydney x2
Melbourne x2
Perth x2
Adelaide
Brisbane (not sure if they'll do 2 shows here, the 2nd one in 2010 didn't sell very well)
Japan x2

That's 12 shows.  Where else?  Coldplay did Bangkok, Taipei, Singapore, Manila, Seoul, Tokyo, Mumbai and Dubai on their Asian Tour, in stadiums/stadium sized venues.

Its always possible they might step into one of those markets where they have never been, but I think if they really are touring at the end of 2019 down under, its for their dedicated fans down there and making sure they don't have to wait until 2013 or later to see the band again when the last time was 2010. I think the goal is to take care of the fan base down there in as short amount of time as possible. Still, all of this is speculation. Nothing at the moment is confirmed for 2019.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2018, 06:47:12 PM »
I picked up somewhere Dallas had said this was the first time in 30 years he had packed all of Edges guitars way. Maybe the long break could be 6 months without anything. If Australia happens it doesn’t sound like it would be new music and it could be just simply recognising the fan base as Wons says. Just kind of like Lovetown albeit that was new music. I still struggle to see them doing this but hey they always can surprise.

Offline 64ac30

• Refugee
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2018, 07:01:43 PM »
I picked up somewhere Dallas had said this was the first time in 30 years he had packed all of Edges guitars way. Maybe the long break could be 6 months without anything. If Australia happens it doesn’t sound like it would be new music and it could be just simply recognising the fan base as Wons says. Just kind of like Lovetown albeit that was new music. I still struggle to see them doing this but hey they always can surprise.

6 months really isnt a long time. I'm assuming we'll hear a lot from them for music awards/tour awards. Songs of Experience will be up for a grammy around January too. It took them from July 2011 to June 2012 to get back into the studio last time there was a gap. If this mini tour starts in November, they'll start rehearsing end of September. Could they try out new songs? Maybe, but i dont think theres any new material. So it'll be a typical u2 concert with sprinkles of the last 2 albums.  But if you think about it, a tour from November to December is another full leg considering they only spend 2 months in the USA.

What i dont get is why wait a full year? They could easily put everything together and get to this in April.

Offline dagobah

• Wanderer
  • exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2018, 10:09:01 PM »
What i dont get is why wait a full year?
Even though the tours in 2015, 2017 and 2018 were not long tours like ZooTV and Vertigo, I think touring 3 out of the past 4 years has had a huge physical impact on Larry's body at his age.  If Bono, Edge and Adam were interested in touring Oceania in Nov/Dec 2019 . . . . . and Larry said no (because of the physical impact), I think they would understand.  And I think they would wait until Larry is mentally and physically ready.  I hope the fans in Oceania get to see U2 in 2019, but I'll be surprised if they get that chance.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2018, 11:44:25 PM »

What i dont get is why wait a full year? They could easily put everything together and get to this in April.

Because they want a break! U2 were supposed to tour Australia, New Zealand and Japan in January/February 1988 after 1987s Joshua Tree Tour. But they delayed that until September/October/November 1989. They were tired with touring and simply put off going Down Under for a while. So that could be the case for 2019 if it actually happens.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2018, 12:06:00 AM »
Check out this 45 minute film below. U2 might be returning to Australia at the end of 2019 to celebrate the 30th anniversary of this:

Online bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2018, 06:59:11 AM »

Australia is the opposite weather pattern than Europe and N America. If this is really going to be a stadium tour, then doing at the end of next year would be more spring and summer like weather down under.