Poll

What are your three favorite songs off the album Songs of Experience, and how do you feel about the album in 2018?

Love Is All We Have Left
6 (9.1%)
Lights of Home
10 (15.2%)
You're the Best Thing About Me
4 (6.1%)
Get Out of Your Own Way
5 (7.6%)
American Soul
2 (3%)
Summer of Love
5 (7.6%)
Red Flag Day
7 (10.6%)
The Showman (Little More Better)
0 (0%)
The Little Things That Give You Away
10 (15.2%)
Landlady
3 (4.5%)
The Blackout
2 (3%)
Love Is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way
8 (12.1%)
13 (There Is a Light)
4 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Songs of Experience: Retrospective  (Read 430 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
Re: Songs of Experience: Retrospective
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2018, 10:20:10 AM »
The "baby" does sound odd and it's part of the tone gap we're hearing.

But I think it's literal - a mother to her very young children.

Like many U2 songs, this one looks like a puddle but is an aquifer.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: Songs of Experience: Retrospective
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2018, 10:36:29 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Because of my age, I'm caught in a time machine.  One that keeps returning to the past.  I can't shake it and don't want to.  Some of my ONLY good memories are tied to those early albums. I've been a fan since 1982 when October came out.  I saw U2 performing War in 1983 in a crowd of 300 people for $5 a ticket. I won't let go of the past for a few good pop songs.  Sorry.

No need to denigrate your opinions; they're as valid as anyone's here.

Just wondering: what you think of Red Flag Day? It at least tries to capture the War sound and spirit.

Thanks for that!

I like Red Flag Day and it should have been listed with the three songs I picked about the album.  I am a stickler for lyrics and Red Flag Day's are strong and meaningful. I didn't get the meaning of the song, at first, until I explored the lyrics more.  It's a message about the refugee crisis and the fear of death(?).  Strong U2 song. I agree it does feel like somewhat like a War era song and appreciate its message.  The only negative I can think of regarding the song is that it seems too upbeat for such a serious subject.  It's the way the song is composed and Bono's singing.  I would almost expect it to have a more somber tone given the subject.   And, feel that they could have delivered it in a more "stark" (if that's the right word) tone.  Right now, it sounds like Bono is celebrating in the song.  Maybe he is.  Maybe he is celebrating love. Maybe is celebrating those that survive a horrible refugee crisis.  I really don't know.  Maybe that's how he wants it, open to interpretation.

Overall, I should have not be so flippant about the other songs on the album and forget what I thought of Red Flag Day.  I'm glad you brought it up.

I appreciate your giving me some room on my opinions and hope I answered your question about Red Flag Day!

I think I'm on the same page as you regarding RFD. I enjoy it, and it's a well-crafted track, but it somehow strikes me as War-era "lite".

The best moment is the middle 8 when Bono softly talk-sings and then builds to the War-like ah-ah-oh.....

But I think maybe the "Baby..." lyric comes off as sounding too much like an invitation to a day at the beach or something "lite" like that.
Needs more and louder drums to sound like War era!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk