Author Topic: Bands or Groups that started before U2 that are still "ACTIVE"?  (Read 652 times)

Offline wons

• Numb
Bands or Groups that started before U2 that are still "ACTIVE"?
« on: November 14, 2018, 04:21:24 PM »
Bands or Groups that started before U2 that are still "ACTIVE"?

STARTED - defined as released their debut album in 1979 or earlier.

ACTIVE - defined as released at least two studio albums of all new songs since January 2000, are likely to record an album of all new songs in the future, and have toured for each of those albums and plan to tour for the next new studio album release.

The only band or group I can think of right away is AC/DC and Aerosmith, but I can name a few bands/groups who are not that some people might mention for various reasons:
Def Leppard - debut album 1980
Van Halen - only one album of new songs since January 2000
Rolling Stones - only one album of new songs since January 2000
Journey - last album 2011, but only extensive touring since then. No known plans for a new album of all new songs.
Fleetwood Mac - only one album of new songs since January 2000

Bands or Groups that started before U2 that are still "ACTIVE"
01. AC/DC
02. Aerosmith
03. Air Supply
04. Alabama
05. America
06. Buzzcocks
07. Hawkwind
08. April Wine
09. Average White Band
10. The Cure
11. Blondie
12. Boston
13. The Crazy World of Arthur Brown
14. Simple Minds
15. Madness
16. Cheap Trick
17. Chic
18. Chicago
19. Whitesnake
20. Kiss
21. Judas Priest
22. Wire
23. Deep Purple
24. The Doobie Brothers
25. Earth, Wind & Fire
26. Electric Light Orchestra
27. ZZ Top
28. Deep Purple
29. Scorpions
30. UFO
31. Cold Chisel
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 08:54:17 AM by wons »

Offline Sunchild

• Stateless
Re: Bands or Groups that started before U2 that are still "ACTIVE"?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 04:46:55 PM »
The bands or artists I've been a fan of and following for a long time

Ultravox
Buzzcocks
Blue Öyster Cult (releasing another album next year since Curse of the Hidden Mirror in 2001)
Hawkwind
Blondie
Neil Young
Billy Childish
Iggy Pop
Scorpions (started in the 70's and still releasing albums and touring)
The Olympics (the Czech legenadry band started in the 1962 and still releasing albums and touring them)
Def Leppard (yes still touring and releasing some of the best albums of their career)

There's hundreds of bands all over the world who play, tour and releasing albums longer than U2, to this day, some of them legendary, they just play more for fun, less as an obligation pushed by major labels, hence probably why they tend to last so long.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 11:34:09 PM by Sunchild »

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 05:17:24 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The bands or artists I've been a fan of and following for a long time

Ultravox
Buzzcocks
Blue Öyster Cult (releasing another album next year since Curse of the Hidden Mirror in 2001)
Hawkwind
Blondie
Neil Young
Billy Childish
Iggy Pop
Def Leppard (yes still touring and releasing some of the best albums of their career)

There's hundreds of bands all over the world who play, tour and releasing albums longer than U2, to this day, some of them legendary, they just play more for fun, less as an obligation pushed by major labels, hence probably why they tend to last so long.

Thanks for the response

Some of your mentions are disqualifed for the list for the following reasons:
Def Leppard does not get included because their debut album was 1980, same as U2. Debut album must be 1979 or earlier.
Iggy Pop - solo artist, does not count
Billy Childish - solo artist, does not count
Neil Young - solo artist, does not count
Ultravox - only one new album since January 2000, does not count
Blue Oyster Cult - only one new album since January 2000, does not count

So out of your list, only the Buzzcocks and Hawkwind meet the criteria I set for being active which is rather loose when compared to U2 which has released 5 new albums since January 2000 and toured for each one.

Thanks for the names, I'll add Buzzcocks and Hawkwind right away.

By the way, I'm not including your uncles or best friends band only known to you and a few other people. It has to be a band or a group with some level notoriety so I can confirm their existence and whether they fit the criteria for this list. They should at least have a wikipedia page about them.

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 07:40:12 PM »
The Cure
- First album in 1979, three albums of songs since 2000, actively touring through 2019. Robert Smith made reference to recording a new album in 2019 in NME.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 07:52:17 PM by aviastar »

Offline rubbersoul

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 01:01:41 PM »
Simple Minds

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 01:56:08 PM »
Thanks for the responses with the Cure and Simple Minds!

Offline BlueSquirrel

• Stateless
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 04:25:48 PM »
I think that British band Madness could qualify as well. They started in 1976. Their album "One Step Beyond" was released in 1979. Since then, they have put out about 10 or 12 albums of lively pop/ska music (their best was possibly The Liberty of Norton Folgate in 2008) and they toured for each album. They played at the closing ceremony of the London Olympics and also at the Queen's Diamond Jubilee concert on the roof of Buckingham Palace in 2012.
Their last album "Can't touch us now" was released last year and it contains some interesting songs (I saw them in Paris and they were still good). They are currently preparing for their next UK tour in December. They will be playing at the O2 in London on December 22nd.

Here are examples of their style if you don't know them :
The Liberty of Norton Folgate (inspired by the history of London) : You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
How Can I Tell You in 2013 You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Mr Apples in 2016 : You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 05:31:38 PM by BlueSquirrel »

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 10:46:59 PM »
I think that British band Madness could qualify as well. They started in 1976. Their album "One Step Beyond" was released in 1979. Since then, they have put out about 10 or 12 albums of lively pop/ska music (their best was possibly The Liberty of Norton Folgate in 2008) and they toured for each album. They played at the closing ceremony of the London Olympics and also at the Queen's Diamond Jubilee concert on the roof of Buckingham Palace in 2012.
Their last album "Can't touch us now" was released last year and it contains some interesting songs (I saw them in Paris and they were still good). They are currently preparing for their next UK tour in December. They will be playing at the O2 in London on December 22nd.

Here are examples of their style if you don't know them :
The Liberty of Norton Folgate (inspired by the history of London) : You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
How Can I Tell You in 2013 You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Mr Apples in 2016 : You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Oh I know them from their song "Our House" from 1983. It was a top ten hit here in the United States, lots of airplay on the radio. Thanks for the mention, I'll add them to the list.

Offline kevtn43

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 04:50:51 PM »
Kiss is still going although they say that this is their last tour, whitesnake is still going ,alice cooper, bob serger ,ted nugent

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2018, 06:48:08 PM »
Kiss is still going although they say that this is their last tour, whitesnake is still going ,alice cooper, bob serger ,ted nugent

Thanks for Kiss and Whitesnake. Alice Cooper, Bob Segar, and Ted Nugent are solo acts and not bands or groups, so they don't count for the list.

Offline kevtn43

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2018, 07:13:30 AM »

Thanks for Kiss and Whitesnake. Alice Cooper, Bob Segar, and Ted Nugent are solo acts and not bands or groups, so they don't count for the list.
The who

Offline kevtn43

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2018, 07:15:06 AM »
Judas preist,iron Maiden as well

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2018, 07:34:27 AM »

The who

The Who don't fit the "ACTIVE" criteria since they have only recorded one new album since January 2000. The band or group needs to have recorded at least two since January 2000 with plans for another one, plus touring for each album to be considered active. Bands that are primarily just doing nostalgia touring are not considered to be "ACTIVE" for this list.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2018, 07:35:43 AM »
Judas preist,iron Maiden as well

Judas Priest is a good one. Iron Maiden does not fit because their debut album was released in 1980, the same is U2. To be on the list, that debut album must be released in 1979 or earlier.

u2music

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2018, 10:28:01 AM »
Cheap Trick.  Debut album "Cheap Trick" released in 1977.  Latest albums are: "We're All Alright" and "Christmas Christmas" released in 2017.  Still actively touring.

Wire. Debut album "Pink Flag" released in 1977.  Latest album: "Silver/Lead" released in 2017.  Still actively touring according to their website.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 10:44:51 AM by u2music »