Author Topic: The Joshua Tree release date, without Live Aid.  (Read 182 times)

Offline zoo adam

• Intellectual Tortoise
The Joshua Tree release date, without Live Aid.
« on: November 18, 2018, 10:39:48 AM »
The gap between War & TUF was only 20 months. The next gap between TUF & TJT was a huge (at the time) 29 months.

Would U2 have been confident in such a big gap without Live Aid ?

If TJT had been released 6 months earlier, how would it have been different ?

An earlier release means Streets may have been left off. Larry said that song took up a lot of time. If they did include Streets, then other songs would not have been finished.

Some of the B sides may have made up the numbers. 'Sweetest Thing', 'Spanish Eyes' or 'Walk to the Water'.

Maybe it would have been another 10 song album, like TUF. Or a 4th July type instrumemtal would have been included to make up the numbers.

The B sides of singles would probably just have live versions of songs due to not enough available songs.

It's very doubtful U2 would have made a Wembley Stadium concert announcement prior to the album release. As they did in 1987. Playing Wembley then was a big deal.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 10:43:13 AM by zoo adam »

Offline Bundang Dave

• Staring at the Sun
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
Re: The Joshua Tree release date, without Live Aid.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 02:31:45 PM »
They blew it by overthinking TJT--would've been a much stronger album with Womanfish opening instead of Streets. : )

Seriously, though, it might've had a more TUF-like feel to it if cuts like Deep in the Heart or Walk to the Water had been included.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 02:55:48 PM »
Zoo adam, you have some very interesting thoughts but I have nothing to add.

I have sometimes wondered if TJT was not simply a great album but one that happened at just the right moment in time, that it somehow captured the culture of the moment.

Offline zoo adam

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 05:40:58 PM »
I read the album release was delayed by 6 months.

U2's first 4 albums had come in only 4 years. So suspect there were enough songs for a good album around the middle of 1986. They have said they considered making it a double album.

However U2 knew that after Live Aid & with 4 strong albums behind them, a classic album would make them rock legends. They also knew that after Live Aid, old & new fans were not going anywhere (although too soon for 5 year album gaps !).

So another 6 months work took place.

U2 were then confident enough in TJT to announce Wembley dates prior to it's release.

Not knocking U2. They deserved the extra time as they gave such a great Live Aid performance. They also used the extra time well, the finished product being an iconic album.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 05:52:12 PM by zoo adam »